AuthorTopic: Archer Sprite Suggestions  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Jellious

• View Profile

Archer Sprite Suggestions

on: January 21, 2019, 04:51:17 am
Howdy guys, I've just finished a sprite for an archer character. And before I go on to animate it, I wanted to check up with y'all and see if there are any issues with the design first.

He's meant to be wearing some pointy sunglasses, and the bow is two deer antlers duct-taped together.

I also made a knight version of him. It started out as a goof, but then I liked the idea a lot. Open to suggestions on this one too!

Thanks in advance fellas!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:57:22 am by Jellious »
Jellious

Offline Jellious

• View Profile

Re: Archer Sprite Suggestions

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:51:14 pm
jamesbredon, I'm not sure what you mean. Are the sprites I posted not showing up or something?
Jellious

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 04:01:33 pm
That's a bot, you can tell by the irrelevant links in their signature. Ignore it.

Your colours are all very... disconnected? There's no harmony between them. Colour theory is a huge topic that I can't hope to summarise in a post like this, so I recommend looking up tutorials on colour theory and colour harmony. One particular thing you should consider is avoiding "pure" hues, always mix some ambient hue into your colours. Instead of using e.g. pure red and pure grey, mix some purple or blue into both, and that'll help the colours look like they exist in the same place, affected by the same light/environment.

You may want to avoid large areas of neon colours, as they're distracting and lead the viewer away from the important parts of the sprite. Neons are great as accent colours, used very sparingly to accentuate important parts of the design.

The characters' arms are different lengths.

Nitpick: Archers don't usually grasp their bows so strongly. When shooting, you want a very minimal grasp to keep the bow steady, and this usually carries over even to holding the bow when not shooting it - they tend to hold it loosely, just enough to keep it from falling out of their hand. Holding the bow like that makes the character look like they're usually not an archer, but more like they're a knife-fighter who just happened to grab a bow.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:04:16 pm by eishiya »

Offline Jellious

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 04:05:59 pm
Alrighty, thanks!

I'll get to work on researching color theory.
Jellious