AuthorTopic: The Osmosis Pixel Technique  (Read 11581 times)

Aritriste

The Osmosis Pixel Technique

on: January 23, 2007, 02:50:22 pm
Now, I saw a picture made by an artist here, and I found that it was very keen to this technique, so courtesy of the creator of this piece I would like to show some other artists here how to use a quick and efficient process of both pixeling and in general art, that will more than likely, depending on how you apply the technique and which depictions you use, will cut about a third of the original time that you would take to create a normal peice. Now this technique is something I call the Osmosis method, because in general you are doing things in a reverse order to acheive the same results, as you will see throughout this thread how this technique is applied to the following image courtesy of CC. Corp:

Now, once you get here this is where your preference comes in, about which colors are most appeasing to you in general, but they must be contradictory to the other. So in this case, I chose my usual colors of crimson (red), and teal, which alas as you will instantly tell when you are pixeling, it much easier to work with then simply white, gray, and black, especially as in this image's case, many blotches seeing as this was hand drawn. Now once you've decided there are several ways to do this, but it helps to have PS on the side so that the line conversion takes less than a few seconds, yet the way I did it was simply by changing the exact colors, gray, black, to teal, and crimson red, and this was the result:

Now I worked on the image above for a few minutes and shaded the plating near the neck, so it may look a little different. Yet now, because there is an exact contradictory in the colors, it's much easier to see what's what, what goes where, instead of having to guess if there is a very faint gray area or if the colors don't match, etc. Yet let me explain the concept of the process before you decide to assume that this simply is a faulty process.
In general when you use these two contradictory colors, you must be aware of how to use them. So when you convert this image in the first steps of the Osmosis method, you must be aware of the color tone of the colors that you are using. Now in my example of teal and crimson (dark red), you can tell that these colors will revert back to their original gray, and black state, but how do you add detail with these new colors? It's nearly the same as when using black and white to shade, but in this case you must do a pre-cautionary method before texurizing. So once you have changed the colors you must create a duplicate copy of this image in this state and save it some where, so that you can retrieve this later in the process. Next, simply start finding the blemishes in this picture and remove them, everywhere throughout the body of the image, so in general this takes a few minutes depending if you go pixel hunting or depicted removal. Yet once you do this, revert the image back to it's black, gray, and white state by either desaturation or by changing the selective colors. Now simply using a paint bucket and just do solid color tones in the area that you want, (keep in mind the pixeling comes later on).
Now, once you've added the colors you want save this copy, and close it. Find the other and open it.

Now with this other copy (uncleaned version) open it ,and begin to add shading by using a lighter or darker shade of the colors that you used to substitute for black and gray. The way that you do this is, as I shall example in my case, to make the color that you substituted for gray to be dark if you want the color to be close to black, or have the color that you substituted for black, be lighter if you want it to be closer to gray. This way you will have acute seperation between detail, so that you can work within the outlines within the confliction of mixed colors. Or faint colors that you can't depict due to their transparency with the neighboring color. So in general by using that older image that I showed you above, and by changing the colors back into their original state you will see that the plates that I colored in teal, are now a black and white shading, of which will be key in the later steps:

So now once you finished shading there are several various ways that you can go about the following steps, but I will go about my more favorable method, which would simply be desaturating (since this works best with my colors). Now once you have the gray version, go over the entire image one more time to eliminate any shading mistakes, but keep all the blemishes, and hard line mistakes. When you are satisfied with the shading, find the previous file that you were told to save a few steps back. Copy the image, and place it over the shaded image but change make sure to change this new layer's transparency setting so that is isn't as overwriting the previous layer and all the shading detail that you've spend your time doing. Then once you do this, all of the blemishes in the body of the figure should instantly be overwritten even with the transparency. Now once you've added this new layer, the solid colors you previously used will auto-format, and there won't be a need to texturizing depending on the methods of shading you applied in the previous steps, but this is the step where you can do the last final editations such as hardline edits. So all that is left is for you to make the editations to the lines, and adding small texture editations here and there to level the image or convert it to your preference, and removing the outerlying blemishes are much easier now since you have the body the of image, by drawing/creating a border along the outside of the hardlines and converting the image format, (if you haven't had it in this stage), and then delete the outerlying areas.

Once you've done these steps you will find out that it is not only much easier to apply detail, but it saves an incredible amount of time. Though even though this is only a rough outline of the steps of the Osmosis Technique, much of it simply requires experimentation to depict the full potential of this method. Yet as you can tell words in matters such as this only go so far, and I will be intending to back these words up by using this technique to apply it to the image above or a less complicated image, dependancy on exactly what time I attend to do a physical example due to the factor that I have a project going global this Sunday.

Regardless, I inquire that you use this technique because I can guarrenttee that it will save you a great amount of time, with results with along the same or better detail than before.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:50:54 am by Aritriste »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: The Osmosis Pixel Technique

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 02:44:10 am
What is this meant to achieve? What does it do?
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 02:53:42 am
Did you not even read it?
Feel free to teach me how to choose colors and shades.  I'm willing to learn.  PM pl0cks.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 03:12:24 am
Did you not even read it?

The real problem is that within all of that text in the first post, never once does it describe what this process is actually trying to accomplish. all the author ever says is "this is the ideal way to do this technique" (in short.)

If this is a technique for pixel art, it is easier to just reduce the color count and then work over it, and if this is for just plain ol' digital art... it doesn't make sense to do this at all. It seems like whatever is going on here... there is a better way to do it.

Now, I saw a picture made by an artist here, and I found that it was very keen to this technique, so courtesy of the creator of this piece I would like to show some other artists here how to use a quick and efficient process of both pixeling and in general art, that will more than likely, depending on how you apply the technique and which depictions you use, will cut about a third of the original time that you would take to create a normal peice. Now this technique is something I call the Osmosis method, because in general you are doing things in a reverse order to acheive the same results, as you will see throughout this thread how this technique is applied to the following image made by Flaber: [...]

It does not explain anything about what this is supposed to accomplish. Are we missing something?

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:17:23 am
I read the thing twice, and it went over my head in several areas both times.

It would be extremely helpful to have some screen grabs, lots of step-by-step images, and more specifics as to how the process is carried out. For example, one of your steps is to "simply change the colors from grays to teal and crimson," and I know of at least four ways to do that in Photoshop, but I'm not sure which one would be best to get the same results as you. And someone unfamiliar with coloring lines digitally would benefit greatly if you get more specific and told them how. I also don't think it'd be a problem showing how it's done specifically in Photoshop, because the mass majority of graphic artists use it or have access to it, and it isn't that difficult to apply the same theory in Paint Shop Pro, GIMP, etc. Also, the final image could just as easily have been made with some simple levels adjustment, and it seems like that is the final result for all the previous effort.

This seems interesting in theory, and I'm always looking for ways to speed up my workflow. You've put a lot of effort into this, but it still needs more work to be a coherent, easily understood tutorial.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:20:18 am by pkmays »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:20:12 am
After reading it again, i guess that it's essentially supposed to just clean up lines when translating traditional art into digital medium...?

It seems like such a lengthy process, still. I tend to just use the levels editor and play with the sliders until my scanned lines are clean... is there anything substantially gained from doing it this way?

Aritriste

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 03:34:20 am
After reading it again, i guess that it's essentially supposed to just clean up lines when translating traditional art into digital medium...?

It seems like such a lengthy process, still. I tend to just use the levels editor and play with the sliders until my scanned lines are clean... is there anything substantially gained from doing it this way?

Cut down immensely on time. I said this in repetition throughout the post.

@Ai, this simply is another way to do it, and it's the fastest I know of, so it may/may not be the best way, but it's the best that I know.

@PkMays, this should essentially speed up your work speed, but as you said I can clarify it deeper but I only did the general outlines so that it opens up ways for others to apply different methods. Yet I will do a complete defined route on how exactly to do everything, yet it will restrict exactly what you can do, but yes I will define it more when I gain the time to do so.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 03:39:03 am
May I ask why you posted this in the pixel art thread? I honestly believe this should be in the general discussion thread. Seriously, I didn't see one ounce of pixel art in it. I don't know the general mind set of others in this forum, but when I go into a thread, or read a post, and I see it's subject as "Pixel Art", yet I see none what so ever in the post; then I 'm just going to skip the description and look elsewhere. But seriously, where is the pixel art?
my back hurts...

Aritriste

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 03:45:56 am
May I ask why you posted this in the pixel art thread? I honestly believe this should be in the general discussion thread. Seriously, I didn't see one ounce of pixel art in it. I don't know the general mind set of others in this forum, but when I go into a thread, or read a post, and I see it's subject as "Pixel Art", yet I see none what so ever in the post; then I 'm just going to skip the description and look elsewhere. But seriously, where is the pixel art?

In the first post I did shading via pixels, and the main pixel peices are following. So in general this is both a tutorial, and a pixel art presentation.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 04:04:31 am
In the first post I did shading via pixels, and the main pixel peices are following. So in general this is both a tutorial, and a pixel art presentation.

There is no obviously placed pixels though. if we cannot tell where you placed individual pixels, it defeats the purpose. Just because you change a few pixels to clean up a piece that is nowhere near pixel art does not qualify this to be posted in this section.

Cut down immensley on time doing what? The only thing you seem to have done is taken the long route of cleaning up lines. I could do the same thing in about 2 steps with the  levels sliders in Photoshop. I really don't understand.

Aritriste

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 04:18:42 am

There is no obviously placed pixels though. if we cannot tell where you placed individual pixels, it defeats the purpose. Just because you change a few pixels to clean up a piece that is nowhere near pixel art does not qualify this to be posted in this section.

Cut down immensley on time doing what? The only thing you seem to have done is taken the long route of cleaning up lines. I could do the same thing in about 2 steps with the  levels sliders in Photoshop. I really don't understand.

It does much more than that if you follow the method process. Like I said I'll go into detail later.

Offline Ensellitis

• stop stealing my toast, please
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 05:54:06 am
It does much more than that if you follow the method process. Like I said I'll go into detail later.

I would try asking for permission to use someone's art first... 

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 06:44:23 am
I think this thread should come to a close

The purpose behind this is unclear.
In your descriptions you do not state what your intent of doing this is. You start straight into your procedure. Also people have asked you what it is, and you respond with yet another unclear message:
Quote from: Ai

Quote from: Aritriste
@Ai, this simply is another way to do it, and it's the fastest I know of, so it may/may not be the best way, but it's the best that I know.
another way to do what?

If this is intended for CG use why all the effort? Just paint ontop of it. This would be the rough sketch for the project - the finished product. If you notice there are alot of mistakes, alot of implications and alot to clean up on. As you paint you would clean these things as you go, almost essentially creating a new image useing that one as a very close reference by painting over it. Atleast thats how I work. I dont spend alot of time cleaning my base lines.
If you are cleaning this for CG so that it looks like a clean, refined finished sketch, again, I dont exactly see the point of cleaning it up like that. I would retrace the lines with an inking pen refining and cleaning them as I go. To make the basic sketch become a complete finished product on a digital medium. Essentially it would be the same ideas as comic books, inkers recieve the pencil sketch and ink over and correct mistakes to make it a finished product. They do not merely darken the lines and make the whites whiter.

Now, if this was to be cleaned up for pixelart... It definatly is not clean and no better than the original sketch. All the lines are blocky and blotchy. Stray pixels here and there. It would be better to make a new layer over it and trace the lines with a pixel tool. It does not take that long - I have done it for other images. As you trace it too, you will have your nice clean crisp lines that help in pixeling. Since you traced on a separate layer ontop, all your spaces are white and you are ready to go.

Honestly, Im not entirely sure of the point of this project. You duplicated my image?
seems quite the process.
---

Next time, if you wish to do a post / tutorial like this it would benefit you in asking the artist for permission first. Seeing as how you did not ask the artist - me - then you do not have any rights in using it, even for demonstration purposes. This image was intended to be just a pencil sketch, unless in some future I decided to change it into something more.
personally, i enjoy the original more.

Then ontop of that, there is no true pixel art in this thread. Perhaps it is trying to explain an idea, give suggestion to a new technique, but there is no true pixelart in this thread. Therefore it does not belong in the pixel art section for the board. Seeing as how this is intended to be a tutorial it would be better suited for the general discussion.

Lastly, you are unclear about what you are trying to get across to us. If this seemed to serve a sufficient purpose and was clear in description perhaps I may have let it slide. But seeing as how most people who read this thread and responded are unclear about the purpose along with myself, I dont see this being overly worthwhile. Not only in your description and responses is there unclarity, but the whole project itself seems unclear. All you are doing is cleaning lines?

If you wish to continue this tutorial by all means go ahead. I do see the effort you put in and I do appreciate how you want to try and help other artists here. But perhaps could you post this in the appropriate section with your own original image or one that you have gotten permission for? Along with that, make sure you are more clear in your original post.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 06:57:45 am
Whatever the point of this thread is, it escapes me. I will leave it running for exactly one more post by the original poster in the hopes that at least my curiosity as to what this does that a simple levels adjustment doesn't will be sated. In the case that the next reply is not satisfactory in that extend, this thread will be locked and moved to gen. Flaber, endure the usage of your art just a little bit more if you can. If you want to see it locked, or your art removed from it though, pm me.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 07:05:57 am
Flaber, endure the usage of your art just a little bit more if you can. If you want to see it locked, or your art removed from it though, pm me.

Sure. I have no problem allowing it to be used if its for something functional and useful. If the author comes up with an acceptable reason like you mentioned I will reconsider.
However, if there is nothing more to this, then this can come to a close.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 07:34:27 am

For the record, this process takes about 5 minutes from scanning to third stage, and the preliminary pixelling I did took another 5. It's stage 1: scan, 2: levels, then brightness/contrast 3: posterize to 4 colors, then... start pixelling.

If that's more or less what you're achieving in a very roundabout -and verbose- way, then you're not saving much time.

Aritriste

Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 03:59:09 pm
I think this thread should come to a close

The purpose behind this is unclear.
In your descriptions you do not state what your intent of doing this is. You start straight into your procedure. Also people have asked you what it is, and you respond with yet another unclear message:
Quote from: Ai

Quote from: Aritriste
another way to do what?

If this is intended for CG use why all the effort? Just paint ontop of it. This would be the rough sketch for the project - the finished product. If you notice there are alot of mistakes, alot of implications and alot to clean up on. As you paint you would clean these things as you go, almost essentially creating a new image useing that one as a very close reference by painting over it. Atleast thats how I work. I dont spend alot of time cleaning my base lines.
If you are cleaning this for CG so that it looks like a clean, refined finished sketch, again, I dont exactly see the point of cleaning it up like that. I would retrace the lines with an inking pen refining and cleaning them as I go. To make the basic sketch become a complete finished product on a digital medium. Essentially it would be the same ideas as comic books, inkers recieve the pencil sketch and ink over and correct mistakes to make it a finished product. They do not merely darken the lines and make the whites whiter.

Now, if this was to be cleaned up for pixelart... It definatly is not clean and no better than the original sketch. All the lines are blocky and blotchy. Stray pixels here and there. It would be better to make a new layer over it and trace the lines with a pixel tool. It does not take that long - I have done it for other images. As you trace it too, you will have your nice clean crisp lines that help in pixeling. Since you traced on a separate layer ontop, all your spaces are white and you are ready to go.

Honestly, Im not entirely sure of the point of this project. You duplicated my image?
seems quite the process.
---

Next time, if you wish to do a post / tutorial like this it would benefit you in asking the artist for permission first. Seeing as how you did not ask the artist - me - then you do not have any rights in using it, even for demonstration purposes. This image was intended to be just a pencil sketch, unless in some future I decided to change it into something more.
personally, i enjoy the original more.

Then ontop of that, there is no true pixel art in this thread. Perhaps it is trying to explain an idea, give suggestion to a new technique, but there is no true pixelart in this thread. Therefore it does not belong in the pixel art section for the board. Seeing as how this is intended to be a tutorial it would be better suited for the general discussion.

Lastly, you are unclear about what you are trying to get across to us. If this seemed to serve a sufficient purpose and was clear in description perhaps I may have let it slide. But seeing as how most people who read this thread and responded are unclear about the purpose along with myself, I dont see this being overly worthwhile. Not only in your description and responses is there unclarity, but the whole project itself seems unclear. All you are doing is cleaning lines?

If you wish to continue this tutorial by all means go ahead. I do see the effort you put in and I do appreciate how you want to try and help other artists here. But perhaps could you post this in the appropriate section with your own original image or one that you have gotten permission for? Along with that, make sure you are more clear in your original post.

May apologies for not asking. I thought using a larger demonstration on this technique would have a much greater impact, and since I myself can't draw I needed to find an applicable peice. Though once more as I said, I apologize for not asking permission. Yet notice, that by far this is not an attempt to, "steal", "copy", etc. your art, it's simply a piece being demonstrated and I would happily use another if this upsets you in any way.

Now, in this technique as listed above, I've personally used it before, and it's come about with a much better end result, and it's cut down drastically on time. As it was said, elsewhere in this thread, pixel artists are looking for ways to speed up their projects. So I decided to post this technique so that pixelists may have that option of finishing faster and with possibly better results.

So in the first few steps of the process you clean the image, mainly outside of the body area, but you save this as an independant file so that you may revert to it later in the steps. Now, reverting back all the steps that you did to clean the image, this is when you change the outlines so it's visually easier to decipher colors faint or otherwise, I personally do this as I said above because it's my preference and it's what I find easier than to try and see if it's a very faint gray color and make mistakes while pixeling. Now unlike others, this technique cuts time in this step because you only have to do shading, not detailed coloring. So in the following step, you need to re-open your previous file that you seperately saved, color it in flat colors, copy this image, go to the shaded file, and paste it over the shaded file, and then change the transparency of it, until you acheive the exact color intensity. Then if the image was pre-perfected then you would be finished, and as I said more than likely saved a great amount of time. Yet if the image's lines weren't pre-fixed then all that would be left is to speckle add little detail and fix any lines that may look awkward, etc.

Yet the entire motive for this entire method is to save time. That's all I've intended it to do. Though I can guarrenttee this does work, and I can refer that in my first post that I did mention that I show an example, but Flaber as you seem to be opposed to me exampling with your art I will choose a different image to example upon. Once again, sorry for upsetting you by exampling with your art.

Edit: Instead I'll be using a character concept from ".Hack//The World R:2" courtesy of CC Corp. .

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 04:04:09 pm by Aritriste »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 04:04:10 pm
I still don't see how this does save time when pixelling. Look at what Helm did, much faster. If you are an adept pixelartist managing a few shades of grey and cleaning up should not be hard.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Aritriste

Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 04:11:54 pm
I still don't see how this does save time when pixelling. Look at what Helm did, much faster. If you are an adept pixelartist managing a few shades of grey and cleaning up should not be hard.

It works much better on larger and more complex images.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 04:16:02 pm
Nobody works at such sizes because it's meaningless for pixel art, really. We're dealing with individual pixels here. Even the super-patient that work large canvases use microscopic pixel art techniques all-over, just takes more time as is reasonable. Like painting a 3x3 meter oil painting with a feathertip brush would.

Much more sense and faster to just CG work at such sizes as the images you've provided.

That being said, your process, whatever it is that it is doing has been um, explained enough, on this forum. Thank you. I'm moving this on gen but not locking it, who knows, somebody might have something more of value to add to this.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 04:36:44 pm
Also, in general when doing bigger pixelart, even 320x240 or smaller (even sprites) precise lineart is not needed as a start imo, as one can clean up and polish until it works.

For this one X-Man (old demoscener) sure as hell did not use any lines, the nun was mostly eyeballed from a black and white photograph as far as i know

Click here for massive progress animation

This of course goes for full rendering. If you want more comicstyle rendering with outlines I don't see the point in pixelling at all at that size and even tho, might just level the thing and clean up from there, just as fast/slow.

Aritriste: Could you post some pieces you have completed using this process?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 04:41:29 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Aritriste

Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 12:09:20 am
I will see to doing this, but currently focusing on the release of Aerion Online is taking priority as it is to be released January 28th. Thank you for understanding, yet I will get to an image(s) that have this method applied to them after the event and the stability of the game is realized. Thank you for understanding.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 01:28:47 am
Probably the best thread ever.

:y:  :y:
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 02:10:14 am
Are you spouting shit for the fun of it?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 08:41:34 am
Are you spouting shit for the fun of it?

Yep.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 08:47:38 am
I don't believe that comment was addressed towards you.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 10:35:59 am
Is it me or this technique is just one of the dozens of "how to make clean outlines" tutorials in devianart?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 10:54:30 am
Let us be unreasonably difficult. Let us refuse understanding.