AuthorTopic: [FEEDBACK] Pikachu from Pokemon Red Redesign  (Read 2115 times)

Offline StarSoul

• rjartsandcrafts.tumblr.com
    • View Profile

[FEEDBACK] Pikachu from Pokemon Red Redesign

on: January 19, 2019, 05:33:11 pm
Hello! I'm new to the forums so I hope I'm doing everything correctly. I spent a few hours early this morning working on a redesigned sprite for Pikachu from the original pokemon games, and I'd like to know if there's anything I can improve on! I made this on Piskelapp.com.

Two things I see that could probably use some improvement is the shape of the ears and the anti-aliasing on the tail, but I'm not entirely sure how I can improve on it.

I made a colored version of this sprite in case someone needs to see, but I'll be sharing my grayscale image for the sake of simplicity.

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Re: [FEEDBACK] Pikachu from Pokemon Red Redesign

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 06:43:39 pm
Not too bad, I recognized the style of the first Pokémon games before reading your post :)

Made Pikachu a bit shorter, repositioned and reshaped the ears and nose, redid part of the tail trying to fix the AA, and lastly made the overall shading a bit more dramatic (careful though, the sprite might have to be flipped horizontally so he's facing and shaded like the other gen1 sprites).
Does it help a bit ?
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:02:57 pm
I like Zanorin's suggestions :D

Watch out for the tangent of the ears and the stripe on its back. Try to have the ears either not reach the stripe, or go beyond it by a few pixels, so that it's clear they're not a single object.
You may also want to move the ear on the right so that it doesn't follow the line of the body, that's another tangent, and it makes the silhouette more boring and vague than it could be.

Offline StarSoul

• rjartsandcrafts.tumblr.com
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 08:49:46 pm
Thank you two for your opinions! I've made Pikachu a tad shorter, improved the shading, changed the right ear, flipped the image, and slightly changed the tail. I really like the progress I am making with this! I also like the style. Do you think it'll be a good idea to stick with this style for a bit to test it out? :)

Edit: I just finished two more Pokemon - Banette (my personal favorite) and Eevee!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:39:56 am by StarSoul »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 04:01:39 am
there's one thing missing here and it's his Chubby

you can't have gen one pikachu without him being a bit chunky, it just doesn't work!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |