AuthorTopic: Independent DS Game  (Read 8847 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Independent DS Game

on: September 30, 2005, 12:04:33 am
Hey guys, long time no chat.

I'm here to advertise an independent DS game I'm working on with a great bunch of people, called Western Lords. I'm currently doing animation for them and loving it.

www.westernlords.com

You can look at our journal, which is pretty interesting, here: www.westernlords.com/journal

We're always looking for talented people to join, payment is on project completion. You get to work with some great people (DayDream for one, I'm sure you've all heard of him)

Anyway, all the info is on the site, feedback is appreciated, it's always nice to receive some encouraging words here...

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: Independent DS Game

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 07:13:37 pm
Looks cool, Gil. I've been up for a good western after finishing Boktai, and this looks like it could satisfy my itch.

What's it been like to switch from the GBA to DS? Aside from reorganising the screen to adjust to the bigger display, what are you going to do to work the touchscreen into the game? Does big N actually require that you use it?

Well, good luck with your game; be sure to post a sprite or two when they aren't looking ;)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 06:29:21 pm
I can't really post sprites due to NDA, but I'll see about sneaking some in ;)

The switch from GBA to DS had some big consequences concerning the coders, since now we're putting off further coding until we receive a devkit...

For now the project director is still a bit mysterious about what features will be used. I know one, but I'd never post it here, since it's actually one that'd be easy to steal by another company. I do remember talking about using it to aim a boomerang with vector-like control, kinda like pulling a bezier curve on illustrator.

The graphic quality won't change too much due to the 2D nature, but there will certainly be certain uses like light effects here and there and perhaps cool backgrounds or so, we'll see. As far as I know the touchpad will be very useful when clicking through some of the menus, and whatever else appears on the bottom screen.

Quality reduced image to show off background scene (this one isn't mine, it uses graphics created by every artist, the bushes are Daydream's for example):
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 01:34:48 pm by Gil »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 10:56:13 pm
hahah. I love that injun walk. He looks the serious type, very purposeful. That's the great thing about the cartridge sizes on the DS and GBA. During the SNES and prior era, it was much harder to create animations that could reflect on the character's personality due to cart limits and such. Now as long as you've got the skills and time, it's a much more realistic option.

...like light effects here and there and perhaps cool backgrounds or so, we'll see. As far as I know the touchpad will be very useful when clicking through some of the menus, and whatever else appears on the bottom screen.
Oh yeah, I remember Tsugmo posting a little while back about how great it was to finally be able to take some effect he made in PS and actually have it look like that on the DS.

But, yeah, it looks like it's coming along great, Gil. I can't wait to see the finished product

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 10:05:55 am
I'm so buying this.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 02:56:50 pm
Daydream, i think i remember him, he came up with all of those airbrushed mockups that looked stunning, didn't he work on some game where you fired different guns at helicopters, it was a sidescroller, I just remember it was incredible looking, although not true pixelart, incredible none the less.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 07:51:19 pm
Heli attack 2 i believe.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 10:35:01 pm
Heli Attack 3 is available on miniclips.com now. Anyway, just letting you guys know we'll probably be appearing on gamespot this week, you can check some screens and stuff there...

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 10:04:37 am
Yeah, I LURVE Heli Attack 3. I got hooked on it earlier in the year. I also remember DayDream posting his graphics on Pixel Joint a while back.

I would really have to see a scaled image to judge that background properly, but it is looking pretty damn sweet at the moment! I especially like the houses, but its hard to nitpick with the other tiles at this size- although I understand that reducing the image is neccessary to protect the work of the arteeests.

I enjoyed what you've done with the animation, even though I think the character sort of looks out of place colour wise. This might help ensure he stands out, I'm not sure!

The westernlords journal was also quite interesting, thanks for posting it. I hope to find myself pixelling for committed game makers some time soon, and this was a nice introduction to the independant gaming scene for me!

Anyway, the project looks great so far. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 01:45:18 am
Is there even any other Rpgs on the DS at the moment?
Proud to be a BMS team: