AuthorTopic: Duckling  (Read 3140 times)

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Duckling

on: January 24, 2007, 12:29:01 pm
I`m pretty happy with how this turned out but I have noticed that all my work is a little to symmetrical looking. Any tips on how to create some linework with a bit of energy? I find it really hard with the mouse to create movement in my drawings. Do you guys use mice or tablets and how do you go about creating your lines?

Anyway here`s the art. Please let me know what you think.

Jason.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Re: Duckling

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 01:38:49 pm
I have a wacom, but I rarely use it for my pixel stuff. I do most stuff entirely by mouse, some more difficult things I draw on paper first. My first (and probably most important) thing to tell you is, don't focus on the lines. Focus on the volume. That's probably the reason your works look symmetrical, since you focus on the lines. I saw the same thing in your Frankenstein too. No human being/creature is perfectly symmetrical. I'd say work on sketching on paper with a pen first. That's where the basics of being a good artist comes from.

You do seem to have a good sense of color.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:45:55 pm by Luzeke »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:47:38 pm
I do use my wacom for almost all my pixel art now, and i friggin love it - its so much faster and more natural.  however, that has nothing to do with the symmetry of your work - the first step is to just change the axis of your camera/view!  In 3D terms, your works are generally drawn orthographically and straight down the Z axis.  Give him a little twist!  A 3/4 view and a little more dramatic light source can show the volumes of your character MUCH better than a straight front view ever could.  The other problem you have is your poses are super-generic "hold this pose" type stuff.  Let's get some action or motion or SOMETHING into these characters!  Let's see frankenstein turning to face the pursuing mob - let's see duckling trotting along or practicing flying!

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 05:37:03 pm
Sure thing, I`ll give it a go. Thanks for the constructive comments.

Jason.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 05:41:01 pm
Well you can start by not mirroring any part of the image. I mean you don't want your work to be symmetrical so you mirror 90% of the image? How does that work?

???
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 04:14:56 am
A good tip to make more "flowing" lines, or lines with movement, is to move the mouse fast (with hands on ctrl+z, as it may take a few tries to get a desirable line), and then clean the line up later; there's no law that each pixel has to be placed as efficiently as possible right away.

I mean you don't want your work to be symmetrical so you mirror 90% of the image?
 ???

Wouldn't it be 50%  :-\
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.