AuthorTopic: SkullgirlS fan sprites  (Read 13647 times)

Offline 2dgamers

• View Profile

Re: SkullgirlS fan sprites

Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 04:41:48 am
Very nice! I love the cartoony look and the variations in the outfits. The step-thrus make it look so simple. :)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 10:51:37 am
I love them, though some of the outlines are very sketchy.
I'd go into more depth, but I'm pretty sure I'll do some edits later.
Do some more. :y:

Offline o_8

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 12:30:55 am
Hi, I'm Alex Ahad.

I gotta say, I totally love how these sprites came out- the critique of Cerebella's hat's arm applies to the illustration of her as well, since the bicep there is not highligted as well ;D;

But yes, I do some pixel stuff as well, I should post some and introduce myself more formally. Either way, glad to meet you all, this place looks like a fun place to learn and meet new people m(_)m

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 01:53:51 am
Urg...I'm really not very happy with the 3rd one the more I look at it. There is something off with the face, and the lines look too jagged in places. I'll be doing some more experiments with them. Thanks for the crits so far, I'll be taking them into consideration once I find the time to cook up some more sprites.

I'm vaguely curious how the shadows were made; did you just take the sprite and stretch+skew it, then make all the colors the same?  Or did you draw them out separately?  Anyway, cool sprites.

Yeah, I created a brush from the sprite in Pro Motion and did some thinkering to it and used a mask to draw it under the sprite. Quite easy actually.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 02:50:31 am by pkmays »

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 03:57:27 am
Yeah, I created a brush from the sprite in Pro Motion and did some thinkering to it and used a mask to draw it under the sprite. Quite easy actually.
Ah, okay.  Cool.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 08:25:18 am
Your eyes are very good. You saw your problem with the thicker outlines looking like a bad scan instead of pixel art and adressed it yourself. Too bad you had to use devil-worship to do it. Personally I enjoy the colored and weightened outlines step in that animation where you try to deal with it more than I do the selout, but I *do* give you that the selout version is better than the non-selout version at adressing the thick lines problem, and probably closer to the source art itself.

However, this is a different medium and you shouldn't try to copy how comic-arty stuff looks on it more than a bit. Bottom line is what promotes the medium most, and for that I'd go with the colored outlines, personally.

There's not much pixel-art level critique I can give you, I'd soften the interior-aa a bit more at places, there's still a bit of blurring, but otherwise, top job. Congrats.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 01:38:17 am

Finally got around to starting up a new one. Input is welcome. This is supposed a block frame of some sort. Character is pretty twisted and demented, thus the strange pose.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 03:36:56 am by pkmays »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 03:48:53 am
Well wow, man. Every few minutes I came back to this thread and there was an update to pinwheel or whatever her name is. Well, I like it, but I think that some shadows shouldn't be straight black like the foot shadow and the abdomen. It just looks wierd, to me. I also think a paler skintone would be more suiting, but I don't have the originals' open on the site right now so I'm prolly wrong.
Honestly, I don't know what I'm saying. I really can't see anything wrong with this. I'm sleepy.
Goodnight.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 04:18:47 am
Eheheh yeah, apparently Saturday night isn't the best time to get critique. I do imagine the black shadows will be hit or miss depending on people's tastes. I'll cook up an edit without the black and see how it turns out.

Palette tweakage. Skin tone paled up some.

Reverted to hand from original scan.

Shortened other arm, as it was freakishly long. (Which is saying along, considering the subject matter.) Removed spinwheel as it has some major geometry issues which will be addressed later.

Anyway, I tried to get a pixely feel to this one without breaking the lines any. Think this might be a better implementation that the selout.

Also, cleaned up Annie, realized the error of my ways.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 09:33:34 am by pkmays »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 11:09:59 am
Didn't go too far with it, but I started cleaning up your AA on her leg and foot.

I think most of the rest of the image needs cleaning up in the same manner.
Now some general crits:
Shadow? All the others are so nice...
The eye in the mask is really messy.
I think the toes on her left foot could do with being made a touch smaller.

Parts of Annie work better, but I would go so far to say the selout worked better in other places. (Does this make me a Devil Worshipper?)
It would get confusing if I tried to describe each area I thought looked better with, so I'll leave it to you to play around with or not.