AuthorTopic: KOF Style  (Read 11631 times)

yosh64

Re: KOF Style

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 10:50:49 am
hey

Well I think this thread has gone wack. I do agree with things Helm has said, and I think that I myself may have fallen into some of the traps he has mentioned, but I dunno. But yea, I also advise not to focus on the style, but rather on what brings them to life, or rather the fundementals. Hmm, I think that if you enjoy pixelling more than drawing or whatever, then maybe you should learn through pixelling.

But yea, I think what Helm has said applies to any art form, well I think particularly digital art. I think people are much more inspired to make digital art, even though it may be the harder road in the end.

@Kamae: I think it may be Lin, but not completly sure. Well I actually came across that Lin sprite when looking earlier, but I ignored it because it wasn't the sprite I was looking for. The sprite I'm looking for has a front view of the character, and he had grey skin.

AND even another edit, added some finishing touches, and then a bit of contrast, and a bit of shadow, and some more polish

Here is a sucky attempt at making your avatar character into a fighter sprite, although I did end up spending a few hours on it, hehe. Yea, I just felt like making a character for ya is all, I don't mean to highjack your thread or anything :\. I won't call it finished yet, but I'm not sure if I will come back to it or not.

cyas
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:10:32 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 11:52:21 am
I thought I was getting better. So I should just draw over and over and over?
Will do.
I guess you can lock this.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:53:54 am by Soup »

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 12:23:10 pm
Don't think you're working on pixel art. See something you want to make, then translate it from that three-dimensional figure inside your head, and put it on the screen. That is to say, depth, and form, and stuff, those are important. Even if you're drawing a profile, if you just start drawing it, it'll probably end up looking wrong because you drew something two-dimensional.

The reason so many "How to draw" books tell you to block out a stick figure, or some balls, and cylinders, and cones and stuff, is so that you can think of what's there before you start drawing it. It makes you think about what you're drawing in three dimensions easier, and stuff. As you get better, you'll probably be able to think, and draw three dimensions, on a two dimensional plane without even having to think too much about it. ;D

This is my first ever attempt at a smart sounding post, how'd I do?

Offline silent sniper

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 07:57:31 pm
I'll give you that some people can start pixel art at 12 and benefit from it. I guess pixelation helps in that regard. My art when I was 12 was in such a preliminary state I just cringe at the possibility of pixel art versions of it. But then again I joined pixelation when I was about 16... 7 years ago, gosh, and I it did help me lots then.

But if I were to be brutally honest, had I spent those 7 years persuing real media and proper graphic arts studies and were I to start pixel art now as a 22 year old person, I'd probably reach my technical level in 6 months... plus, I'd be more skilled in said graphic arts and real media.

There's not much to pixel art. The only thing that cannot be attained in 6 months by a talented and studied person (like say, Snake, who had this sort of evolution while he's been here) in pixel art, is the time spent thinking about the aesthetic implications of the medium.
helm, theres something about you that I don't like... ah, yes. I've found it. It's that you think people need to study art to make it. Like me, I'm 12, pixel art is just my after school hobby. The closest I've ever studied art is looking at a few MLSS, Sonic and anit-aliasing tutorials, and one of the teachers in my school (has 3 degrees in art) says I have potential, and that great art can be anything you can see or hear.

and soup, i like it so far, and is this for mugen?
YELYO! mah way of sayin hello.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 11:07:50 pm
I'll give you that some people can start pixel art at 12 and benefit from it. I guess pixelation helps in that regard. My art when I was 12 was in such a preliminary state I just cringe at the possibility of pixel art versions of it. But then again I joined pixelation when I was about 16... 7 years ago, gosh, and I it did help me lots then.

But if I were to be brutally honest, had I spent those 7 years persuing real media and proper graphic arts studies and were I to start pixel art now as a 22 year old person, I'd probably reach my technical level in 6 months... plus, I'd be more skilled in said graphic arts and real media.

There's not much to pixel art. The only thing that cannot be attained in 6 months by a talented and studied person (like say, Snake, who had this sort of evolution while he's been here) in pixel art, is the time spent thinking about the aesthetic implications of the medium.
helm, theres something about you that I don't like... ah, yes. I've found it. It's that you think people need to study art to make it. Like me, I'm 12, pixel art is just my after school hobby. The closest I've ever studied art is looking at a few MLSS, Sonic and anit-aliasing tutorials, and one of the teachers in my school (has 3 degrees in art) says I have potential, and that great art can be anything you can see or hear.

and soup, i like it so far, and is this for mugen?

What are you talking about? Potential may be innate, but it still has to be nurtured in order to reach its fullest. If you go through life not studying art, your potential will remain but will your actual art will probably stay at a basic level or simply advance (painfully) slowly. I've been drawing since I was 3, almost every day of my life, but until I started actually looking not only at art but also simply trying to imitate the world as I see it, about 2 years ago, my progress had been incredibly slow. I was still at the top of my art class, but if I'd kept on looking only at video games and such, I would have taken like, eight more years to reach my current skill  level, which is still quite rudimentary, honestly. It's true that you don't need to study art to be good at it, but you do need to study life to be good at art, and you need to study art to be great at it...at least if you want to get great in this century.

cryssy

Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 12:49:13 am
Soup, here are some tuts I used in the past that have helped me besides just studying people and art class

http://www.rebekahlynn.com/free/tutorial/gettingsketchy.html just the idea of how to start

From her To Consider section
Observance:

I know I've gone over this before but here I go again.  It's this simple: you can only draw what you know.  You must observe your subject.  The more you observe, the better you'll get.
   Do the same when you are drawing from a photo.  The number one culprit for poor drawings in my opinion is a lack of attention on the artist's part.  Observe every single detail of your subject.  From that tiny hidden mole next to their nose, to the funny crook in their eyebrow, to the cupid's bow on their lips.  Notice how the shadow's and highlights define a person's face.
  Sit up, pay attention; watch that your pencil doesn't continue moving without your thoughts leading it.  You'll see an amazing progress in your art.  Believe me.

References:

Other artist's examples have been so important in the past to my improving.  Studying someone's work allows you to to understand their techniques.
   I've just lately been learning more about the human anatomy, and you would not believe how quickly I learned after looking at good artist's depiction's of the body.
   There are tons of excellent artists out there who know a lot, and there is no reason you shouldn't absorb their knowledge.  They've done some hard work, and you can learn from their work and what they've discovered.  Pretty nifty.

Also this site I adore
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/

I know they are for drawing but the concepts can be applied just the same to pixel art :)

Offline TheAbyss

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 01:28:16 am
I thought I was getting better. So I should just draw over and over and over?
Will do.
I guess you can lock this.

See what you've done!?!? You've stopped him from pixeling! I thought he was doing OK for 12, andgetting a bit better.....but then again what do I know? I'm only 13.
Japan + Canada = Japanada

Offline BadMrBox

• Bringer of Apocalypse
    • View Profile
    • Ragnarok Games

Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 06:27:29 am
Keep on struggling Soup.