AuthorTopic: [Feedback] [C+C] WIP Portrait  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Ninety

• NinetyHere
    • View Profile

[Feedback] [C+C] WIP Portrait

on: January 04, 2019, 09:55:34 am
Working on a small portrait, partly to sketch a possible character for an RPG, partly to practice portraits in general. I want to get good at character art but I've never made a very serious attempt, so I'd appreciate critique.

Mainly, I'm not sure how to approach highlights on the face, I've sketched a couple areas in but they kinda suck. The nose also feels a little bit weird to me. I'm struggling to define the key shapes of the face via lighting.

I'm OK with the hair texture, I like the volume at the top but I think it needs refining, I don't want it to look too smooth. But I'd appreciate others' opinions on that as well.

EDIT: Someone elsewhere suggested adding an extra colour in-between the base skin shade and the highlight.

IMO, it feels a bit smoother but at the expense of the simpler, more stylised/defined look from the first WIP I posted, which I liked quite a bit. I'd like to find a middle ground.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:36:14 am by Ninety »

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [Feedback] [C+C] WIP Portrait

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:07:06 am
A more defined light source might help.  Also you can get away with very few colors at this size.  Messed around with a quick edit: