AuthorTopic: Insomniac Bunny's Revenge [WIP]  (Read 13716 times)

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Insomniac Bunny's Revenge [WIP]

on: January 19, 2007, 12:25:03 am
Well after what I am proud to say was a successful second project with my GBC Knight Homage I have decided to bring back my first major project Insomniac Bunny with a new piece of work  :lol:

The start

The end of the head

I currently still need to fix the head's shape a bit, fix and add more shading and lighting, and do the ears to bring it to completion

If you search for it you would be able to find my first Insomniac Bunny piece which my first major foray into pixeling as well

Comments, criticism, and edits are welcome
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 03:08:15 am by Alucard »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: Insomniac Bunny's Revenge [WIP]

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:47:53 am
the anti-aliasing (if you can even call it that) is really lacking. go find a tutorial or look at some examples here at the forum dealing with anti-aliasing. Underneath the eyes is just algorithmic shading, and you're working with too many shades close together. get some more variation. if you want to keep this sort of style, pick two or three shades of yellow and go for cell-shading rather than dithering.

The shape needs real work too, yes. I'd also try to get away from pure black, or at least soften it up.

Also, the mouth is really awkward. make it more like a curve than 3 joined lines. The chin is also shaded wrong, the shading goes under the lower lip, and the middle of the chin is highlighted.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 04:27:29 am

I tried my best working with the lines you had.  I'm sorry to say though, without heavy modification, the lines are extremely boring.  I don't mean to be harsh, but it's the truth.  A generic smiley (or frowny in this case) is usually interesting if it's very small, like emotes, otherwise, they're just about the plainest thing you could draw.

My tips would be to first of all, get rid of the circle; either use a custom shape, or add features, like cheek bones, etc, to the the existing circle, and second of all, add more detail to the inside of the face; as it stands, he looks grumpy/sad...expand on that with fitting eyebrows, etc. And lastly, maybe something other than yellow  ???
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:39:54 am

Allright before I head to sleep I was able to fix the shape to the best I could and I also fixed the mouth making it curve out alot better

I did a simple dither effect under the eyes which I dont know if it helps or not you can decide that on that one but I do plan to remove it and do a better shading there later

I also replaced the black with a dark brown which if isnt enough of a change I can easily make it lighter

Also I do still need to add the ears and maybe whiskers or something too
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:42:19 am by Alucard »

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 04:59:51 am
heres an edit:

hopefully it'll help.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:03:50 am by Joseph »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 05:04:07 am
heres an edit:

hopefully it'll help.

Yes, the direction Joeseph's pointing is the path you should go.

My biggest crit, Alucard, with your new version, is that the eyes are perfectly flat on top; if you look and Joe's edit, you'll see he tried to round it. Also, having to color together and dithering over it as you've done under the eyes is a tad pointless: you could just use one color and dither the other.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:11:35 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 03:08:08 pm
Currently I am at school right now but that last edit is actually perfect for what I was thinking about earlier this morning and I plan on working on this when I get home

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 10:37:31 pm
Sorry for the double post but I want to show how much a of change happened that I am really really proud since I now understand quite fully about AA  ;D

After I get some new comments and read up a little more on shading I will post another updated version and begin working on the ears

Thanks so far for all the comments and edits because they have really been a big help

-EDIT-
Time to show my progress :D

I think the face is more or less done and I am quite happy now on how it looks

The ears are still agitating me and I haven't been able to make a set I enjoy
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:31:49 am by Alucard »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 04:33:06 am

;D

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 07:56:42 am
Man, you are really improving this piece!  :y:

I think the AA into the eyes could use some work though.

The way you have it is too dark and make the lines more jagged than soft...you need to try to AA with the colors that are directly between the colors you are AA.

If you are trying to AA color 1 and color 3, use color 2; if you are trying to AA color 1 and color 5, use color 3, etc.

Hope that helps.