AuthorTopic: Wearbear  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Wearbear

on: January 17, 2007, 07:48:02 am

Based on one of my sketches here. I think you can find out which one.

I'm thinking about just redoing the bear entirely, making it "interact" more with the character below. They look like they were drawn separately and happened to connect at a convenient spot. Because that is what happened.

Offline snader

• View Profile

Re: Wearbear

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 07:05:40 pm
i think you could make it interact a lot more by putting the bear in the same perspective the guy is in, put the right leg behind his head, and his left more in front of his head
move the face along too

folds looking very nice for such low colour

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 08:27:27 pm

I think I'm going with the blue legs. I'll make them longer and the crotch less wide than I normally go though.

Skin tones are going to be a bitch.

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:07:14 pm
I liked the huge bear hat better. But so far it is looking really good. I like the way you did the clothes fold.

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 11:11:38 pm
Haha it would be awsome if you have the bear drooling over the guy's head  ;D

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:54:33 am
bring back the big bear head!  right now!

please?
untz untz untz?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 11:30:44 pm
Yeah, the big head was waaay better than this new one. Just make the bear, instead of looking straight at the viewer, turn his head to match the direction the kid is facing, and then make them look at each other...
And indeed, go with the bluelined legs...though his torso would be at a 90degree angle to his legs. Maybe the zipper should spiral around him to show the torso's twist...?

Oh, wait, I just realized snader said pretty much the same thing as me about the bearhat's direction.

Well, to make the two chars look even more integrated, you could make the bear wrap his hind legs around the dudes neck...But keep the front legs like legs. Don't give 'em fingers. Afterall, it is a four-legged animal.
You gonna give this dude arms? If so, maybe a kind of supporting the bear like a parent with a kid on their shoulders does.

Looks like they're being chased by something.

Cool.

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 03:34:27 am
I actually prefer the new one. The old one didn't have any interaction; it was just a kid with a bear on his head. Now it's a kid in a bear's mouth. the bear also seems to have a lot more personality now.

You have an interesting method of doing things in reyscale and then coloring here. Do you always do that or is that a result of the original/reference being a drawing?

There's not much else that needs comments at this stage, I'd just like to see this finished.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 05:14:50 am
He should have a speech bubble saying "algebreic!". The boys face is very nice. Perhaps some shadow on the hair to make the teeth
of the bear not look like they are sticking in the boy's head. Is it a hat or an actual bear? The first bear had a better outline. Could you
make both legs curl around his face like before. I like how you shaded the shirt.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi