AuthorTopic: Some Isometric characters and tiles  (Read 6927 times)

Offline fork_in_toaster

• View Profile

Re: Some Isometric characters and tiles

Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 07:50:30 pm
I'm a long time, big time lurker and I only drop in once a year or so when I see something extra cute that needs attention.  I think I've seen your strategy game stuff before and really admired it (that was you, right?), so when I saw that you had posted these little guys I decided to swoop in to drop my two cents.

Firstly I chopped off her ponytail to see what was going on there around the shoulders, which isn't really evident from far away with the colours so close to each other.  Then chopped off her head and drew in those little isometric guidelines, and I think that part of your problem is that even though the legs are rotated more closely to the isometric axis, the shoulders are more straight.  At least it looked like that before I took her braid off, I don't know now.  Her waist doesn't seem to be lined up on the axis either.  Another thing that I think is contributing to some wonky perspective is the closest shoe, it's facing us straight on.  Overall, we have some funky perspective going on.

As for conveying femininity I think that the shoulders and arms are a big part of the problem here.  They look basically as wide as the man's shoulders, so we're gonna have to trim those right down, and also soften the face a bit.  Another thing is that below the waist, except for the length of her coat/riding dress/whatever she's the same as the man.  Well, kind of around the chest area she looks the same as the guy too.  I know it's common to reuse body parts when you're doing a tactics game cause you have to make like a mogillion characters but I think that at least you should have a set of manly parts and a set of womanly parts.  To illustrate that I didn't mean that in a dirty way, here is what I mean:

At some point I got very carried away and may have departed from the style you were going for, it got pretty girly.  Also my screen lighting is very dark and I may have inadvertantly given her a beard instead of a face, it's hard for me to tell.  At any rate maybe it will help a bit with the perspective of your other sprites, or at least give you some ideas.

can I just say though that I wouldn't touch the grass tiles, they're super cute and I love them, good job on the depth of the far-away tiles there.

Good luck on this, I hope you manage to take it to the end.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 08:37:11 pm
Lovely crits and edit mistr Fork.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 01:26:27 am
Hey, nice edit fork.

I tried out my own rendition.

Although you'rs was great i felt it needed a bit more and the use of colour could have been improved. overall nice work.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 03:36:48 pm
I really like the edit on the head, but somewhere along the way her left leg got crazy-deformed. I also think the edits lost the sense of depth that the original had.