AuthorTopic: WIP Spaceship banking animation  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Meladyfreshness

• View Profile

WIP Spaceship banking animation

on: December 31, 2018, 11:31:13 am
Been working on this for a while now and have already had some excellent advice about it on here that has really helped. Now I'm stuck doing the turning animation.

This is the whole sprite so far:

And this is the top bit I'm trying to animate atm (Thinking about making the bottom part separate so that it gets added later in the game).

When the spaceship turns I want it to bank 45 degrees. I think I have it looking ok but I just can't seem to make the cockpit look right - any tips? I'm also worried when I add an intermediate frame it's not going to look right.

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Re: WIP Spaceship banking animation

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 01:13:29 pm
something along the lines of this might be what you are going for (kinda hard to do with perspective)?

with rotation along one axis instead. if you take a look at this for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0myXMFpgAU thats how steering is usually done
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:15:33 pm by pyxelbit »

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 02:11:57 pm
First it would be best if you get a grip on the perspective and view you want to achieve, the whole ship seems to have some angle ambiguity on the lower part. Try to make a simple sketch on how the ship looks from the side, back, up and down. It doesn't even have to be pixel art, just a doodle on paper so you get an objective notion of it's shape, not confused by the angled view.

Turning it on the y axis like you want would involve more than flatly turning 45° the already angled up sprite, like pixelbit it is showing here.

Offline Meladyfreshness

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 11:07:09 pm
Thanks for you guys help on this - I made the most basic 3d model possible and tried to translate images at different angles into frames for the banking animation. I'm still working on it and it's an incredibly slow process - not sure if I'm on the right track!

Offline EddyZ

• I am a beet!
    • View Profile
    • Rising

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:44:06 pm
a quick edit on your ship.
it's like pyxelbit said. imagine an axis going throu the middle of your spaceship. in that case it is the red line.

i hope this will help you a little bit.

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 12:55:06 pm
yes, exactly  ;D

Offline Meladyfreshness

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 09:10:03 pm
 ;D  :) This is great thanks