AuthorTopic: [Feedback] [C+C] [WIP] 21st Century Vampire Hunting Kit  (Read 3488 times)

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

[Feedback] [C+C] [WIP] 21st Century Vampire Hunting Kit

on: December 29, 2018, 02:16:15 pm
I am doing a modern version of a "victorian" vampire hunting kit. All work in progress including colors. Might add a handgun and various other items soon.

9 colors and about 2-3 hours work.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [Feedback] [C+C] [WIP] 21st Century Vampire Hunting Kit

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 03:41:56 am
I'd work on the gun more, perhaps some sanctification seals and runes on the gun itself to further add some holy flair to the rifle itself.

As for the stakes, I'd imagine if this is a modern setting it'd be easier to find more uniform wooden stakes, perhaps even custom made ones that are easier to drive in with handles or the like.

For example, why not set up the stakes in something akin to a Cow Stunner? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_bolt_pistol

Press it up against the heart, pull the trigger. Way cleaner and more effective than a hammer, aye?

put some thought into how modernization would streamline this kit beyond the basics!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:57:01 pm
thanks for the feedback mysterymeat! yes i was thinking about further modernization, but didnt want to add another pistol. maybe more uniform stakes - not sure yet.

small update:

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
is that wolfsbane strapped to the butt of the gun? nice touch!

that said, snipers usually do have a pistol side-arm for closer range battles. Food for thought!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 02:48:38 pm
i was thinking about verbena, but some wolfbane might be helful too :)

yes, im going to add a handgun, possibly a revolver type gun

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 06:39:19 pm
added a pistol

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 10:48:53 pm
still very wip
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:55:44 am by pyxelbit »

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:33:30 am
I have to say, I really like how you’ve handled the specular highlights. They give just the right amount of punch. The progression of details you’ve been adding is great, too. The objects feel nicely specific and generally consistent in style with one another.

I know it’s still WIP, but I think you could improve the rendering of the leather, cloth, and wood areas. Dropping the areas of the belt where it’s folded over in shadow may help improve depth. I do see that you’ve added some ambient occlusion shadow but it’s very subtle right now. It’s fine to exaggerate the lighting for the sake of readability.

The grip of the pistol seems to lack depth compared to the rest of it. You could perhaps “cheat” either the backside or the front and bottom of the form into view, or bevel the form underneath the leather so it’s not technically cheating to show more of a side or bottom plane. I’m not sure the additional grip on the pistol is consistent with the rest of the form and how it’s lit. Figure out the volume of the grip and see if you can revise that part so it’s consistent. You also might not need the black inner lines on the cloth grip. How does it look if you just use the shadow color you have as the line in that area to soften it a bit?

For the wood, I won’t comment much on it for now since you’re clearly still working on it but try to imply the wood grain more than you explicitly show it through how you shape and texture the shadows. Also, depending on what part of the wood was used and how makeshift it is, consider that the part where it’s sharpened could get lighter as if the outer grain has been shaven away.

Overall, great job so far, can’t wait to see more progress.  ;D
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 07:11:47 pm
thanks a lot for the in depth feedback  :)

im still trying to figure out how to do the wood, leather etc. parts. i want it to look sharp and a little stylized - i might need to add 1 or 2 more colors for some more shading. but im a bit reluctant to add another color, 10 seems enough  :D

i changed the grip of the pistol a bit (needs some cleanup), do you think thats a bit better? still doesnt read as wood apart from the color, but i think that might be good enough

i am not sure where to go with this yet. i keep adding stuff, but i think i have to cut some things. i added a captive bolt pistol for example as replacement for the wooden stakes.

im thinking about putting it together as a inventory screen from a fictional game or in a box like one of the fake "victorian" ones like this https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c4/29/4f/c4294fcd8c2adfae6c56c8afba870f6a.jpg

not sure about the presentation of some many different things in one image :blind:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:15:34 pm by pyxelbit »

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 07:28:58 am
The form is definitely clearer now! :) If you want to mess around with having the grip be carved or engraved, that might help get the idea across that it’s wood.

A mockup might be cool. If you’re having trouble fitting everything in one screen, since there are a lot of objects, perhaps you could make multiple screens or even a short aanimated display of the player scrolling through or choosing equipment.
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.