AuthorTopic: [WIP] Leonardo (Mirage-style)  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

[WIP] Leonardo (Mirage-style)

on: January 13, 2007, 04:07:27 pm
Okay, I've been taking a little break from my Gameboy project, which is why there hasn't been updates for a while now. I'll jump back into it again soon enough, so rest assure that project is not being abandoned.

Anyway, I got inspired by Tremulant's "Testudine Shinobi" as well as the trailer for the new TMNT movie, so I started making this last night.
Let me know how it's looking so far. And bare in mind that I'm drawing with a mouse and with no referance, so that's why some lines look rather sloppy right now.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Re: [WIP] Leonardo (Mirage-style)

Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 05:34:12 pm
It looks good. The face is spot-on. I like your take on the Turtles. I can see the inspiration from the upcoming movie. Only crits to give so far is that his chestplates maybe sits a little to high up and they could be slightly broader. But it may be just what you're after. Still looks cool though.  :)

I've had a sort of TMNT nostalgia trip all week. Can't wait to see the new movie!  ;D

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:00:53 pm
excellent dithering on the head!  the neck looks a little dark to me right now, especially since there is nothing black on the entire head.  the top right corner of his skull looks a little sharp.  That's all i got!

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 07:10:51 pm
What bothers me is how his pecs, furthest from our vision, seem to have that very noticable spec of light at the edges before the closest pecs start, should be a bit darker, in my opinion.

Otherwise, it's very nice. ^^

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 07:13:31 am
I don't like the dither, it gives him a really rough texture, when I think he should be pretty smoothe and even a little slimey.
I also think the anatomy is a bit off. I don't think the head attaches to the neck very well, and whilst I get you're trying to go for a sleeker look, I don't think his chest (or plastron) looks sturdy enough.

I tried to make you a helpful little sketch, but my laptop fought against me tooth and nail, so I have no idea what you'll get from this:

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:32:32 pm
I wanted to get more done before posting the progress, but because it's taking a while, I'll post what I got done so far.

I applied some of suggestions you guys gave me. let me know what you all think of the progress.

I can understand that the dithering may be a little much, Faceless. It's just something I want to work with. I may do a non-dithered version later.
Oh, and about the stereotype of reptiles being slimey, I can assure you, Faceless that they're not. I've handled reptiles and there's no hint of slime on them. I believe you may be confused with snails and slugs (which are not reptiles).

As for anatomy, yeah, it's certainly not of human proportions, but that's how they're supposed to be (especially in the comics universe).
The plastron in your edit is nice, but it looks like his torso is facing mostly forward, which is not what I want.

Here's some pics of the style I'm working with so you all know where I'm coming from with this art peice...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:56:20 pm by Ryona »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 07:03:31 pm
I really like the legs; the rest bugs me a little bit. The body seems way too thin, faceless's edit was a step in the right direction I think [lame pun not intended]. The head should probably be a little bigger too. :y:

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:25:56 pm

Anyway, I got inspired by Tremulant's "Testudine Shinobi" as well as the trailer for the new TMNT movie, so I started making this last night.
Let me know how it's looking so far. And bare in mind that I'm drawing with a mouse and with no referance, so that's why some lines look rather sloppy right now.

Sorry guy, she makes it clear it's inspired by the movie version of the "new" TMNT movie coming out. It's in 3d, and they actually do look like the way she's currently making them. So...yeah. (check out their trailers at Rottentomatoes.com, and you'll see it...)

Any who, I also believe his frontal shell(or whatever you call it) needs a bit of touching up. Also, something about his right foot's toes are bothering me. I know thats how they look, but thier just so...fat. I don't know, seems kinda weird. I actually prefer the older versions of the ninja turtles, with the more stalky, more shell look. Also, that line coming across his left thigh looks strange to me. I've never seen it before. I'm not saying it's anatomically incorrect, but something I've never noticed. Not to mention, in my opinion at least, there shouldn't be so much dithering. Turtles should have some slithery look to them. I mean, they live in the sewers right? And yeah, the shell isn't exactly showing on your new update.I could be wrong though...

P.S. Donny Rox everyone's sox
my back hurts...

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 07:43:12 pm
Ah, thank you, B.O.B.
Yes, I should have posted a pic of the boys from the new movie. So here ya go, people...
(though keep in mind that I'm doing my own thing with it and changing the style a bit)

Anyway, I'll see what I can do about all the suggestions, guys.

Oh, and you all can check out the trailer here... http://tmnt.warnerbros.com/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:16:52 pm by Ryona »