AuthorTopic: [WIP] New Set of Iso Sprites (Update 1/15)  (Read 10572 times)

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] New Set of Iso Sprites

Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 06:59:26 am
Could you be more specific about what looks out of place, and what looks to have lesser quality? That'd help a lot when we go through and refine them.

Sure thing, I would say the best one out of the bunch is the fish guy. Had some fairly good shading, very appealing colors and was well thought out I'm sure. Then you take a look at the furry or rock guy and it just doesn't seem to match. All the characters have the same eyes, so if you're going for the pure white look on one, why not do it for the others? One having black beady eyes and the other the white ones just doesn't mash that well to me.

The furry is the closest style to the fish guy, but it suffers from poor texture in my opinion. Maybe I can find time to do an edit with any ideas but try for a bit more of a larger chunks of fur shading approach. You tried a similar lit outline approach but it doesn't fad so much as just the legs are really dark and contrasty and the rest is not. Try thinking about where the light hits it and lighten it up there. Also about the furry, the colors just don't quite seem up to par with the fish. Try shifting your shadows to blue and maybe work on your main base color too. It's a bit bland. Just noticed his hair is identical in both, that's a bit cheating no? Try adjusting it so ones the front and one's the back. Shouldn't take long but it'll do a lot for you.

The rock guy again with the eyes not matching the others and the outline thing mentioned in the last one. Outline seems more broken in this one and shading doesn't seem very thought out. No mouth and no moss/hair. Colors, I'm not so convinced you're doing the most with your colors here. Try some hue shifting to make it more interesting to look at.

The human seems fairly well done but strays quite a bit from the original design. I'd like to mention the eyes again but if you were to want to keep the white eyes to monsters that could work but it wouldn't hurt to try it on the character too judging by the sketches. If I were to have to pick which human most closely matched the fish (which I think is the style you should be aiming for because it turned out really well) I'd pick the top right one. Here you used the "full outline" with some lightening towards the top. Colors seem pretty nice on this one, wouldn't worry about those.

I hope that cleared some stuff up for you. Those are all just my opinions but I do feel that there's a bit of work done before these will look like they belong together in a game. You're off to a good start though :) Best of luck.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 10:17:48 am
An update on the human and fish sprites. Old on top, new on the bottom. Tried to play with the palette a little more, tried to fix a lot of the iso perspective issues, changed the light source (supposed to be coming more from the top than the front now), mostly happy with the results. I feel like the posture on the north-facing human sprite is off, but I've been screwing with it for forever now and I can't figure it out. Maybe I've been looking at it for too long.

Any C&C/edits/etc are appreciated, I can't even explain how much your edits helped, Helm and Delgneith. Thanks yet again.

Human Old/New:

Fish Old/New:
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 10:33:55 am
Fish Man:
First off, he lost some of his belly, and the chubbiness really added some character to it. Generally, the corners got sharper, too.
Second off...
Uhh... I liked the more saturated tones of the fish man more.

Also, are these for a game? They're awesome.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 10:39:50 am
Fish Man:
First off, he lost some of his belly, and the chubbiness really added some character to it. Generally, the corners got sharper, too.

Yeah, the chubbiness is still there, but because the eyes and head changed shape/position a little it makes him look like he lost a few pounds. I'll fatten him up next time around.

What do you mean about the corners getting sharper?
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 11:14:01 am
What do you mean about the corners getting sharper?

In the first version you had, the curves are way more smooth than on the newest edit (which look rather angular)

I must say I prefer the old version of the fish overall. It had a better palette (at least from my point of view) and better shape.
And speaking of palette, I guess experimenting with colors wouldn't hurt. Right now you are using a monotonous color selection, and thus making the whole thing a tad boring. You could try adding subtle yellows, blues and reds and go wild. But since they are just bases, you could do it individually for each customization.
Also white highlights could be added to show that he is slimy or something. Just try to pull out the most you can out of the design, give them character rather than just coloring.

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] New Set of Iso Sprites (Update 1/15)

Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 01:08:46 pm
Very funny sprites! Good.
But something about race  :-\, you fish race a very like as bird race. On you sketch (http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4651/fishnp1.jpg) personage more fishy than on pixel. Because on pixel his mouth like as beak, and haven't bulging eyes. Want see distance between eyes maybe more bigger and mouth up to eyes. His hand too much long. Maybe my small edit help you:

With this eyes you did can more emotion for you character.
And color will be more fishy.
Also you must small work with shapes.  :D

Offline eqko

• ehr !?
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 06:54:35 pm
I for one think the 1st setup was totally cool shading wise.
 I'm a sucker for solid shading as opposed to the dithering thing.

I think the eye on the right should go one pixel lower still for correct iso on your last version.
also in your last edit, you made his head blockier which I think makes him even less.

sorry
previously known as equinoxx

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 07:50:24 pm
i thought that the dithering wasnt a good thing to have in such a sprite, just a hassle to animate and its not worth it imo. the pallette you have is very nice, but it could use spicing up if you desire. i made an edit, dont know how helpful it will be to you:

Offline wedgeismyhero

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 08:42:44 pm
Thanks again for all the wonderful and helpful input from everyone. I would agree that we wouldn't want as much dithering in our sprites for the sake of animation and keeping it simple. I made this update trying to maintain a solid shades and hilights while trying to keep the pallette small. I have no clue what to do with the lips though, but I'm still working on it as I post. Also posted for critique is the main character in a basic armor setup. Also W.I.P. and would appreciate help on that! Thanks again guys. ^_^

Fish Dude Omega Alpha Centauri Extreme Edition:

Soon To Be Distraught Over Some Cataclysmic Event In Life Hero:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 01:15:47 am
Wow, I haven't done an edit in forever.

Messed with the lips (and some other very minor things). Do they look alright?

Oh yeah, and I liked the farthest fin arm thing better when you could see the tip. I'm not fond of the way it seems stuck to his side now.