AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 208235 times)

Offline rougewisp

• the other side of the pillow
    • View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #630 on: March 18, 2007, 06:25:06 am
Oh, and I just saw Bridge to Terabithia: Didn't read the book, and I didn't really like the movie. It felt too "kiddy" for me. Just not my style I guess...

I read the book forever ago, and I don't remember it being as 'magic! cg creatures! mystical adventure!' as the trailer portrayed it. Most of the book took place outside of their imaginary whatever.
for great justice

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #631 on: March 18, 2007, 06:28:08 am
Agreed.  Although it was a good 7 years since I read it, I remember it being more about the guy's neighbor's messed up/ different life rather than their imaginary kingdom.  Another one of those bargin bin movies I guess  :lol:.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #632 on: March 18, 2007, 06:38:31 am
I never read the book but the trailer didn't appeal to me.

The biggest child book --> movie adaptation dissappointment for me was Chronicles of Narnia. I loved those books. I was so psyched bc the same ppl that worked on Lotr were going to work on CoN which was so cool bc in real life Tolkien and Lewis were friends. But it was a huge let down for me, I could barely even pretend I liked it. I mean ... sure it was pretty ... but I thought it lacked character development and acting skills and what was going on with Mr Tumnus and Lucy O_o ... but I dunno maybe I was too old to enjoy it? *le sigh*

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #633 on: March 18, 2007, 06:49:25 am
Anyone ever read/seen Richard III ?  hardly a true word in the play, and it was commonly percieved as truth for generations.  What's more is that Shakespeare could easily have discovered the truth instead of following the words of paid historians like thomas more, who was five years old at the time of richard's death but still acted as though he had witnessed the events when it came to selling his accounts.

Yeah, but Richard III was entertainment fodder for Elizabethan audiences, probably the only saving grace of it is Shakespeares tenacity for metaphors and wordplay.  Also when Shakespeare was hired he was probably expected to follow the conventional historical beliefs, not to mention he probably didn't have time to do extensive historical research for it, it is likely that his plays were written in incredibly short periods of time (we're talking weeks here).  So maybe we can forgive him for that.  Not exactly circumstances comparable to Miller's.

Though I don't agree with the "it's just a movie" sentiment, I'm all for letting as little bullshit slide by as possible.

EDIT: Also, Miller obviously chose to take the names of Sparta and Persia because of the interest gather from understanding that they were real places in which inhabited real people, and by doing so signalling to audiences "hey, true story!" and then not delivering the truth.  It's simply dishonest.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 06:53:29 am by Darien »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #634 on: March 18, 2007, 06:53:11 am
... but I dunno maybe I was too old to enjoy it? *le sigh*

Bah hah!! Another French Sigher! I knew I wasn't the only one. See punajians, the French onomatopoetic sigh lives on!!

Le Sigh

And by the way, I also feel like "I'm getting too old for this shit." ( Danny Glover, Lethal Weapon)
I want to go see the new TMNT(despite the fact that I KNOW that I'll be disappointed...), but I won't because I feel too old...and I don't think Shredder is in it, which really ruins it for me...
my back hurts...

Offline rougewisp

• the other side of the pillow
    • View Profile

Reply #635 on: March 18, 2007, 08:50:02 am
...and I don't think Shredder is in it

You've got to be shitting me. That's like having Captain Planet, but without any fat CEOs trying to dump medical waste into the water supply in order to sell more bottled water.
for great justice

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #636 on: March 18, 2007, 12:59:29 pm
Wait wait... shredder's not in the movie? he's... IN THE FUCKING THEMESONG.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #637 on: March 18, 2007, 01:31:16 pm
Shredder has to be in there or i ain't watching  :yell:

Gotta see the new transformers movie too. Just to hear optimus prime speak with his own voice again. I got brainmongled by the recent 3D transformers cartoons, so i expect this to make it all better.

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #638 on: March 18, 2007, 04:56:50 pm
Shredder's not in it?! I was really considering going to see that. When I was 7 I told everyone Donatello was my bf. >_> But if it's just a lame adaptation, no thank you, I have the others on DVD. So... are they gonna change the themesong then?

And YES... the trailer for Transformers effing pwns. I want to go see it SO badly... SO SO badly.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #639 on: March 18, 2007, 05:13:33 pm
   Yeah, the "Don" was my fav' too. Gotta' love purple. Plus he was the smart dorky one; I mean come on, pixel artist, ap classes...I can definitely relate to him. Plus my brothers called dibs on Raph and Michaelangelo.(bastards) Also, on Rottentomatoes.com, it plot says that AFTER the defeat of their old nemesis, The Shredder, the turtles have grown apart...yada yada...fighting aliens from other planet. So I assume he's gone now, in little samurai overlord heaven.
   Transformers, I don't know. I saw the previews to it and...bleh. I'm not too sure it's going to make the cut. I could be wrong though. I've still not had the chance to see Pan's Labrynth yet, but I'm hoping I'll get the chance. I hope this summer has some bad arse movies lined up. Or I'll sue...
my back hurts...