AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 210012 times)

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #600 on: March 17, 2007, 06:42:54 pm
i find it strange that helm dissaproves of this movie so much BEING THAT HE IS GREEK.   :hehe: :hehe:
untz untz untz?

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #601 on: March 17, 2007, 07:03:32 pm
His disapproval is quite reasonable because he is Greek.  The events are very misrepresented and misinterpreted and so on.  Why is it strange that he disapproves of a movie that butchers his country's history?
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #602 on: March 17, 2007, 08:39:03 pm
in my mind, I see no difference in the word American, as it's a Continent; North and South of course, but no different none the less. It's a little stupid seeing people saying Mexicans, or other latinos aren't American. No R-tards, WE ARE AMERICANS, just like you.
Russians are Asian, too.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #603 on: March 17, 2007, 10:32:52 pm
I don't really care about historical inaccuracies. The movie is why I even looked up the Battle of Thermopylae and researched it. I went to the movie for entertainment, for fun, and I didn't take any of it seriously. If anyone did actually believe giant elephants the size of mountains were at the battle, then that'd be their fault for being idiots, not the film's fault for trying to add more excitement and grandeur to it and that goes for everything else in the movie that was exaggerated.

how many Persians were there?
Xerxes entire army was over 2,000,000 people, but the amount actually at the battle was anywhere between 100,000 and 500,000 (definitely not a million, as you said it'd be hard to support that war, although Xerxes did send supplies ahead of time so when his troops arrived, they'd have everything they needed, which may have been a problem when Leonidas managed to stall him for a few days) and Leonidas had about 7,000 in his own men and Greek allies, but the majority of that was dismissed a couple days into the battle. For every Greek casualty, there were eight Persian casualties if you go by Herodotus' estimates. Of course, all these numbers could be wrong because no one kept a clear and unbiased record of it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:35:09 pm by Blick »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #605 on: March 18, 2007, 12:38:17 am
whores

most travelling armies of the time employed them, yes.

american-idiot version of history

That is to say, the american idiots' version of history. Not every american's, but the american idiots'

All-american subtle

which is to say, a lot of your cinema is extremely blatant.

american warmongering machine

Which is to say, you've got a warmongering machine going.

Do you see any of these statements as translating into a general 'American hatred'? I hate the pathology of your country, while I enjoy what's good about it. Sadly, your country is in a very strong global position, and as such, open to a lot more vocal critique than say, Malta.

This I understand. I also understand that your points are NOT coming from an elitist Greek attitude, as some of your favorite ink artists are Latin AMERICAN( in my mind, I see no difference in the word American, as it's a Continent; North and South of course, but no different none the less. It's a little stupid seeing people saying Mexicans, or other latinos aren't American. No R-tards, WE ARE AMERICANS, just like you.)

I am sorry if that makes me a R-tard in your views, but it's not just the land that makes you what you are, it's country, race, religion, ethics and so on. And Breccia, who is Argentinian, a communist, an atheist, and a brilliant artist has very very little to do with the kind of american I'm critizising. He could be born in down-town new york and that wouldn't change anything.

Everybody has idiots, yes. The american idiots are just a loud majority, and in a very powerful position to influence global culture. That's why they're getting more flak.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #606 on: March 18, 2007, 02:09:18 am
If America was really a war-mongering machine, we wouldn't be stuck in Iraq and Afghanistan.  The fact is, the only real reason we are still in either country is that our nation does not support the war.  The reasons for our being there are so unclear even to us that we cannot even put 0.05% of our population in arms.

whores is just a more honest word for camp-followers, yup, and B.O.B - according to Plutarch, gonorrhea (life-threatening without modern medicine) ended the careers of more soldiers in ancient warfare than most battles, second only to dysentery.

the thing about america is that we actually have effective educational systems and smart people, but with 300 million, we also have a lot of dumbasses.  oh well.

as far as the difference between "america" and "latin-america," i think that the main differences are that our nations are of very different (general) ethnicities; the northern countries begin caucasian immigrants and the southern countries being mostly native peoples and african ... 'immigrants.'  We also speak english, german, and french as opposed to spanish and portugese.  Superficial divisions of course, but they are divisions that people seem to go by.  Personally though, i wish i was still in California, where the latino, black, and even asian cultural impacts are as strong as the white.  I wish every part of this nation was so alive and diverse, since it's the myriad of cultures that makes the world exciting, and the ethnic diversity of the United States is the nation's largest 'natural' resource.  Whiteville, USA is lame.

Helm, i may be mistaken, but i do not think that he was including you in the r-tard statement, which seems directed at we united states citizens as suggested by the words "just like you."

about miller though, he has never trumpeted his work as anything other than pure entertainment based loosely on...some vague concept that might be almost true.  the movie and his comics don't try to be doccumentary, and he knows his market well - his works are nearly all tongue-in-cheek action-splooge mixed with interesting artwork.

the thing about the 300 is partly true, partly false.  the greeks deployed several thousand soldiers, but the might of the persians was so great that many, such as the athenians, fled the battle so that they would not all be lost at once.  Leonidas and his 300 spartans remained with 700 thespians, 350 thebans, and a few others as the first stall (the second stall consisted of some 800 corinthians and the rest of the  of theban, estimated at 300.  this stall, placed between athens and corith, was never engaged due to victory at Salamis.
before the final stand nearly all of the thespians were dead and the thebans, isolated and surrounded, surrendered to the persians.  The remaining hundred or so spartans (who had lost their leader and much of their equipment in the wrestling-match that greek tactics were reduced to after the initial charge), were killed with missles.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 02:14:32 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #607 on: March 18, 2007, 02:32:14 am
If America was really a war-mongering machine, we wouldn't be stuck in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Why the US is stuck there is one thing. Why it's there in the first place is another. I'm more interested - and weary - of that.

Helm, i may be mistaken, but i do not think that he was including you in the r-tard statement, which seems directed at we united states citizens as suggested by the words "just like you."

I realize that, I was speaking from the point of view where a person of latin-american descent doesn't actually consider himself an american of the california variety at all. I was defending the point of view that not all of america is full of americans, because 'american' can mean a lot of other things than 'born and raised on the continent of america'.

about miller though, he has never trumpeted his work as anything other than pure entertainment based loosely on...some vague concept that might be almost true.  the movie and his comics don't try to be doccumentary, and he knows his market well - his works are nearly all tongue-in-cheek action-splooge mixed with interesting artwork.

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=interviews&id=8573

No. It’s just a sign of the Spartans’ barbarity. They’re the oldest society, and they were quite brutal. The most offensive thing they ever did was tossing all those messengers into the well because you never kill the messenger; it’s considered blasphemy. But the Spartans didn’t give a damn, they’d commit blasphemy.

You have to understand, these people were all slaveholders. They were trained soldiers. There were 15 slaves to every Spartan citizen. They were a very rough crowd. Because they’re the heroes of my story I try to make them look as good as I can, but I wouldn’t want to have dinner with any of them.

It’s a wonderful paradox about Spartans – they made possible a wonderful civilization they could never have realized themselves.

This opinion is historically inaccurate. Do you see him saying anywhere that it's just his wet-dream about the Spartans and not actual history?

the thing about the 300 is partly true, partly false.  the greeks deployed several thousand soldiers, but the might of the persians was so great that many, such as the athenians, fled the battle so that they would not all be lost at once.

Athens never engaged in Thermopylae. They didn't send any timely troops. Athens won over Xerxes' father, Darius at Marathon a while before that, and the Spartans arrived two days after the fact and stared at persian corpses. Perhaps you've got that a bit mixed up?

Leonidas and his 300 spartans remained with 700 thespians,

correct. also 500 men from Tegea, 500 Mantineis, 1120 from Arcadia, 400 from Corinth, 200 from Filiunda, 80 from Mikines and 400 from Theba.

This amounts to about 4.200 men, who along with military servants and slaves and whatnot went up to the aforementioned 7.000

After the initial waves, the greeks had council to decide if they were to retreat from Thermopylae and merge with allied troops-to-come, but Leonidas, wanting the heroic ending, said he and his men would stay. With the same feeling, the Thespians, who were at the time no more than 500 due to their losses decided to stay.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #608 on: March 18, 2007, 02:49:20 am
The best thing about America is its freedom of speech and its supreme education system.   ;D :y:

I would argue that every movie that comes out from America is automatically artistic and originalNot a single mediocre film ever emerged from a country other than America:mean:

I think it's silly that fighting is going on over something that probably nobody else even cares about (#3).  ::)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #609 on: March 18, 2007, 02:58:37 am
If America was really a war-mongering machine, we wouldn't be stuck in Iraq and Afghanistan.

War-mongering machines get 'stuck in' countries. That's the whole point, surely.

... the only real reason we are still in either country is that our nation does not support the war.

Surely a lack of support would only serve to quicken the withdrawal? Not the other way round!

The reasons for our being there are so unclear even to us that we cannot even put 0.05% of our population in arms.

If one looks at the US' illustrious involvement in conflicts around the world over the last 50 years, it will seem pretty clear.