AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 208252 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #130 on: January 23, 2007, 04:12:57 am
   There was a point in my life when I could remember all the rules, and I never studied for any Calc. test. Studying for math just seems so...weird. Did anybody else feel this way? I mean, if it was history, or chemistry, I found myself studying to understand the point. But with math, it just clicked instantly. It's almost as if it was second nature.
   However, I've took nearly a year off of college, and I must say, I don't feel like getting back on the saddle. I don't want to go back for computer science as my major, because I don't think my common sense is anywhere near the common mans, so having to come up with your own way to program was too hard for me. Java, my mortal enemy till death. Not to mention, ALL my memory of Calc equations and whatnot have disappeared off the cerebral plane of my brain. All other subjects, I can pick up on. It's simple. Just friggin' read, remember, and write your opinion. Very simple formula for most classes in college, especially History and English. But Math/Calc takes precision. Any small mistake, or misplaced negative integer can screw up the master plan. I can't believe I passed Calculus 2 with a 93! All I did was talk to this girl the whole time, during the lessons.
   My favorite class in College was art. Didn't do much, but it was basically me and two others who always stole the spot light.(talent wasn't the factor, but moreover, we were with people who were taking the elective just for the free credit, hence their attitude of "I don't give a fluke, I just want this class to end already")
   So now, I'm stuck with the resounding decision to go back to college, and get my life back on track. First things first, I need to choose a new major. But what? I'm only good at art, and I don't like jobs associated with math. The main reason I came to Dallas to live with my brother was to go to school at the Art Institute. But from the horror stories I've been told, not only by him, but many others also, I'm not so sure I can handle the debt I'll be in, if I decide to go. Screw it. With Art I'd rather study from life, and friends. I guess business is the best option for me for now. Maybe when I get my skills up, I can start turning up some cheap t-shirts or something. Or maybe even start a mini-mini-web site, dedicated to creating webisodes with my friends back home. Bah, I need to decide quick. Who knows, I may even accept a pixel art job for once, and get my feet wet.(I'm still a pixel-job virgin, ya know). This grey area is closing in on me. Any one have any suggestions towards a good major?(if you say law, I'm going to slap you...)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:52:17 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #131 on: January 23, 2007, 04:50:49 am
Hey, I got my driver's license today, by-the-way. :)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #132 on: January 23, 2007, 06:02:14 am
B.O.B., I got a degree in Communication Design at a community college, and it was a good all around course for anyone interested in 2D digital graphics. It's a two year degree and covers how to create digital graphics and layouts using industry standard tools. Most of my time was spent using Photoshop and Illustrator to design images and logos. There was also some basic HTML and Flash website design, some Director and Premier courses for multimedia, and some InDesign for publication. It pretty well took me thru the paces of what software a commercial artist needs to work digitally (unfortuatly, it didn't cover any 3d). It also includes the basic selection of traditional art classes; Drawing I & II, Painting and Sculpture. Only basic drawing skills are needed to do good in the Comm classes, but illustration skills and creativity definitely help.

Of course, you could learn all that on your own while taking another course, like business, but college is hard enough when you major in something you're actually passionate about.

Sounds like you already got a lot of prerequisite academic and art classes out of the way. Whatever you decide on, you could be looking at a year or maybe a year and a half until you get a degree.

And yeah, I'm actually thinking of getting a CS degree now...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 06:03:53 am by pkmays »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #133 on: January 23, 2007, 06:08:19 am
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #134 on: January 23, 2007, 07:51:03 am
BOB:

Ironically, art was my least favorite class of all time. I mean, high school art. I probably would've liked AP art or college art, because I think in both of those classes all you do is create a portfolio of various mediums. In normal high school art it was project after project of stuff I didn't want to do. I remember there were two projects I actually learned from, one being linoleum block printing from a photograph and the other was a complicated Prismacolor piece from a photograph. We had to get a picture, draw the outlines, grayscale it on the first layer, then the idea was that laying a color over the gray would be like instant shadow. Like Technicolor. That's not necessarily how shadows work, and the paper wasn't thick enough to handle it though. I think I want to try linoleum block printing again someday. I just like the feel of carving warm linoleum and the sound of rolling on the ink.

I once planned on going to the Art Institute of Seattle. But then I thought "I suck too much and make too little."

I can start turning up some cheap t-shirts or something.
It's so funny, people always seem to gravitate towards that idea. I remember I went to a local place to see their prices for printing shirts and they gave me a minimum amount of shirts I'd have to buy to put an image on (it was 60, I think) and how much that would cost ($120something) and I was like "Oh, screw that. I'd rather iron on some oil pastel shit."

Also, a lot of people I know go into psychology, I guess it's actually pretty interesting stuff.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #135 on: January 23, 2007, 05:07:48 pm
I remember I went to a local place to see their prices for printing shirts and they gave me a minimum amount of shirts I'd have to buy to put an image on (it was 60, I think) and how much that would cost ($120something) and I was like "Oh, screw that. I'd rather iron on some oil pastel shit."

Two bucks a shirt? That seems cheap? would that be the entire price, or just for the shirts, and then the printing is extra? Cos i mean, if you pay 2 dollars to have a shirt made and then turn around and sell em for 10 (which is cheap for graphic T's) then i think you'd be making some nice profit.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #136 on: January 23, 2007, 06:10:21 pm
Oh, and I'd have to pay for the shirts. The $120 is the "artist fee". Their shirts cost $15.

So it's like buying 60 $17 shirts.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #137 on: January 23, 2007, 06:17:52 pm
Mathematically, it'd be 7.0588235294117647058823529411765 $17 shirts for the whole $120 amount.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #138 on: January 23, 2007, 06:27:12 pm
You can buy t-shirts wholesale online for about $2 apiece (nice t-shirts, too), maybe lower if you look around. If you live in or near a major city, you can find them even cheaper at wholesale stores and then you don't have to pay for shipping. You can build a silkscreening setup for fairly cheap, also.. it's even better if you're on or near a campus that has a silkscreening facility that you can get into.

If you were really interested in doing that, and you felt like you could move the shirts fairly quickly, you could turn a mean profit. After buying/making your screens, you'd be able to put out a shirt for less than $4, shirt and supplies included.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #139 on: January 23, 2007, 08:43:35 pm
Mathematically, it'd be 7.0588235294117647058823529411765 $17 shirts for the whole $120 amount.
The $120 is the artist fee. It's completely separate from the price of the shirts. It's a 60 shirt minimum at $15, so $900, plus an artist fee of $120, which would make it $1,020 or more simply, 60 $17 shirts, which comes out with the same result.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:45:32 pm by Blick »