AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 209676 times)

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #120 on: January 22, 2007, 06:36:46 am
Speaking of fighting games, I made this combo video recently.

Offline leel

• Embrace simplicity
    • View Profile
    • cmw

Reply #121 on: January 22, 2007, 03:07:33 pm
Leel: I look back on high school and realize that most of it was pretty useless. I shouldn't have been allowed to graduate. I'm the reason our school system sucks so bad. It's damn near impossible to screw up during those years. I can't even remember how many classes I failed... algebra I, geometry, biology, chemistry, English 10, I really should have failed physics, economics and English 12, but just got lucky. Then managed to scrape up enough D's and half assed correspondence courses to earn my diploma in time. It seems really stressful when it's happening, when you're spending nights looking over notes and basically doing everything I never did do, but you'll probably go to college and realize how trivial it all was. That's what I did. Then I failed out of college/dropped out. I don't know if my point is "don't worry so much" or "worry more, or you'll be a fuck up like me", I forgot where I was going with all of this.

Strangely enough, the only class I really excelled in was AP Government. The only AP class I ever took. Unless you count gym. I was a pickle ball badass, playing with a broken arm and still getting a top spot in the tournament.

My school is rediculous, many of the teacher don't know half of what they're teaching and the standards are quite low.  I don't care too much about grades, but my parents have high expectations for me (I'm SO glad I wasnt there when my dad found out that I only applied to a community college :P) so I still have to do well enough to 'have some sort of future' as they put it. But you're right, most of that stuff doesn't even matter.

The exam turned out to be just on the articles, so I didn't miss anything from the notes I never read heh.  People from the other class were complaining that it was so long and hard and they wrote 8 pages and blah blah and I was pretty scared to go take it, but it wasn't hard at all! long, yes, but hard? meh.  All we had to do was read 3 articles (2 of which we got a week before the exam anyway) and talk about the thesis and such.  It wasn't even in essay form, just answering questions including details and examples.  Geez, and I got so worked up over it.  (for about 20 minutes, but still)

I gave up on gym last quarter, when after having done like 30 laps everyday for the entire quarter (and I didn't even know how to swim before that) I got 80% in gym because I didn't make up two classes when I was absent.  Who makes up gym?!   ugh.  So I figured out participation doesn't matter, so I don't do shit anymore.  Let the jocks have their fun, I'll hang in the corner.  Except for volleyball, I love volleyball. =D

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #122 on: January 22, 2007, 09:26:32 pm
My school is depressing. Algebra 2 has been a complete repeat of algebra 1, the only two new things I've learned are matrices and that it's a good class to do science work in. English I enjoy, but nobody gives me critiques that wouldn't be at home on a dolling forum. I ask for suggestions for character names or plot twists, I get ramblings and praise. My spanish teacher is insane and tells us about life in mexico where they killed chickens for company and never slacked on homework, and she claims she's a neurosurgeon. I don't know if she really is or not. My science teacher treats us like kindergarteners and has us do "labs" with goldfish crackers and colored pencils. The population of my art class is in in-school suspension or aiming to get into the rehabilitation program because it's easier to pass classes, and everyone is insane about their Ipods and game consoles. Gym is a fun class, mainly because I'm smaller than most peeps and they underestimate me. Also because America is getting fatter and fatter on average.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #123 on: January 22, 2007, 09:41:24 pm
Pkmays, who do you play in 3s? If you tell me you're a Chun SA2 I'm going to kick you in the nuts.

I'm jealous that you have Planet Zero down there.. I'm familiar with the place, and somewhat with the scene you dudes have. That arcade sounds amazing, I never hear anything but praise from the people that play there.

I'm in LA and go to FFA.. the comp is great but the arcade is a shithole. A dirty, dank, smelly shithole. But at least I get the chance to get my ass kicked by Pyrolee, Edma, etc whenever I do show up.

I noticed that there's a few Texan fighting game fans here, and to you guys I ask: did you go to Texas Showdown last year? Do you plan on going this year? What games do you guys play?

I'm not from Texas, but I really want to make it over to Texas Showdown one of these years. I almost went to EVO last year but couldn't.

I play 3s seriously as Oro SA3, and occasionally as Dudley SA3 or Q SA2. I play Garou and LB2, but there's no comp out here, let alone an SNK machine of any type. I like CvS2 and Alpha 2/3 but I don't play them seriously on any level. And so, so, so many times, I've tried to get into GG, but I just can't do it. The learning curve on that game is too crazy for me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 10:08:03 pm by Akzidenz »
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #124 on: January 22, 2007, 10:12:17 pm
Pkmays, who do you play in 3s? If you tell me you're a Chun SA2 I'm going to kick you in the nuts.

I played SA2 Chun back when the game was only in arcades and Dreamcast, back when it was relatively obscure and I had no idea what the tiers where. After the PS2 version came out, I got sick of all the Chuns and dropped her altogether and stuck with Makoto and Ibuki (and Sean, for shits and giggles).

I'm jealous that you have Planet Zero down there.. I'm familiar with the place, and somewhat with the scene you dudes have. That arcade sounds amazing, I never hear anything but praise from the people that play there.

There's a HUGE jump in quality when it comes to the fighter scenes in Houston and Dallas. DFW is dubbed "casual city" as most of the players there aren't serious/don't go to tournaments/would rather play at home on console. Houston has Planet Zero, but all we have are a few small arcades scattered around the metroplex that might carry one or two newish fighters. Due to the whole dance/rhythm craze, arcades are doing better nowadays than five years ago, but it's still not what you'd expect from such a large city.

I'm in LA and go to FFA.. the comp is great but the arcade is a shithole. A dirty, dank, smelly shithole. But at least I get the chance to get my ass kicked by Pyrolee, Edma, etc whenever I do show up.

Sounds about the same as Dallas, except all the good players who used to live there have moved on to Houston, Austin, or Cali by now.

There's also a small but loyal SNK following in DFW. I'd generally prefer to be stuck on an island with Garou and KOF98 rather that 3rd Strike and Super Turbo.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 10:15:01 pm by pkmays »

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #125 on: January 22, 2007, 10:25:34 pm
I played SA2 Chun back when the game was only in arcades and Dreamcast, back when it was relatively obscure and I had no idea what the tiers where. After the PS2 version came out, I got sick of all the Chuns and dropped her altogether and stuck with Makoto and Ibuki (and Sean, for shits and giggles).

Yeah.. FFA is kind of disappointing because of all of the Kens and Chuns. Especially when Oro has such a crap matchup vs. Chun. There are some great low-tier players, though.. getting your ass handed to you by a good Hugo or Twelve is always really humbling.

There's also a small but loyal SNK following in DFW. I'd generally prefer to be stuck on an island with Garou and KOF98 rather that 3rd Strike and Super Turbo.

I never understood why people didn't pick up Garou in the states. It's just as pretty as 3s, it's far more balanced, it requires just as much technical skill, it came out at roughly the same time. Such a fun game.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #126 on: January 23, 2007, 12:16:22 am
Turkish Star Wars

This has warped my perception of reality forever.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #127 on: January 23, 2007, 12:20:15 am
Akzidenz: do you ever play online through MAME? I'd love to play LB2 against someone that's good.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #128 on: January 23, 2007, 12:27:49 am
Turkish Star Wars

This has warped my perception of reality forever.

.... w..?

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #129 on: January 23, 2007, 02:15:22 am
Algebra 2 has been a complete repeat of algebra 1, the only two new things I've learned are matrices and that it's a good class to do science work in.
Haha, algebra II is apparently overrated. I went from algebra I to geometry (and failed the first semester because I couldn't wrap my mind around proofs, or didn't want to, I'm not sure), and then when I got into college I completely skipped algebra II and went straight to precalc and I felt like I missed nearly nothing. It may have been because I took physics instead of taking a math class my senior year that kept me practicing with math. I think algebra II is mainly in place to keep your logic straight and to keep all equations cemented in your mind. That was my only problem with precalc, is that I'd have to work a bit harder because I didn't have as much practice or knowledge with algebra and if you don't know your algebra, you don't even make it to the calculus side of things.

I remember my biology teacher would use words interchangeably that didn't mean the same thing, so she'd explain labs to us, but wouldn't realize she wasn't making any sense. She'd start the sentence referring to recessive genes and end the sentence referring to binomial nomenclature. Like she'd put two sentences together, and then leave out words to make it fit into one sentence. It was strange. I failed second semester and retook it through correspondence and it was easy and I couldn't understand why it was so hard for me to understand in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:17:27 am by Blick »