AuthorTopic: Boss Sprite WIP  (Read 20946 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Boss Sprite WIP

on: January 09, 2007, 10:28:48 pm
Hey everyone... this is my first post here. *Gulp*

This is a boss sprite I'm working on for a game project. When he's done he'll be able to jump, shoot eletricity from his brain, and fire homing missiles (I'm not sure where from yet - maybe his shoulders or maybe I'll give his tail a missile launcher? Ideas?) Anyway, I'm looking for some critiques before I get too much further into the animating process. What'cha think? (Bonus high five for anyone who knows what kind of dinosaur he's based off of ;^)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 10:30:53 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: Boss Sprite WIP

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:37:25 pm
wow, this is very cool. The fingers look a lot less fluid than the rest of the body though. I think they would look better as claws, but that's your call. I think that if you added a little white highlight to the glass cover on the brain it would look more like glass.

Keep it up, it's a very interesting piece.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:52:10 pm
;D  i really like this one =)  only recommendation is to make the glass on his brain a bit more transparent or watery looking, and to give him claws

is it based on stegosaurus?
untz untz untz?

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:57:52 pm
Wow, this is great! Lovely design, and animating skills. My only tip, is that I hope your other animated pieces don't just involve moving/sliding groups of pixels up and down, or left and right, to create animated effects. Looks good on this, but if done repeatedly, it tends to look cheap to the pixel veteran's eyes.

Oh, and welcome! Can't wait to see the rest of your stuff!
my back hurts...

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:04:19 pm
haha i like this - I'd add more motion though, like make his shoulders a separate sliding piece as well.  I agree that the fingers seem somewhat out of place - i think the front arm blends with the body a bit, i'd lower the body's contrast and make the arm a little more sharp.  Fun stuff!

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 11:06:04 pm
OMG! What were you on when you came up with this? I love it!  ;D

I would suggest that you add a waterlevel to the braincontainer, that would make it easier to recognize as fluid.

Or something like that.

Really nice!

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:23:09 am
Oh yea, that would be snazzy to have the fluid sloshing around the top.

The far eye on the head looks a little strange. Would it really be visible at that perspective? It looks like the mouth is strait on while the skull is angled? Other than that, very nice!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 03:17:56 am
Looks more like a third eye in the middle of the skull to me, Hishnak.

I agree on the water level comment, though.
He'd look alot more lively if you switched up the anim every few moments between this idle stance and maybe a swing of the tail or roar or something, like some fighting games do.
But if he's to be hopping around alot, then he might not be still enough for such a switch-up to be useful.

I agree with Stewlin about the fingers. They'd look better and less obviously repetitive with a more subtle movement. This might just be me, but I think animations should be like tiles in that you shouldn't be able to see where they loop, which is probably the reasoning behind my two previous suggestions.

I think rockets would best fit into the armor that's already there, like on the front, above the warning stripes, have some doors or something that opened up when he was about to shoot them.

Well, definately not a T-Rex or Raptor; neither of them have those back scale thingies...I don't know, I'm not very wise when it comes to dinos.

Offline loempiavreter

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:37:08 am
Cool boss sprite? Do you mind telling what game you made it for? Link?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 12:04:27 pm
I really like the cool green army metal palette. The brain sloshing is good (it also gives the impression of water kinda warping it ...can't
explain...but its a good thing). Is it a stegosaurus? edit: oops, didn't read eck's post.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:13:29 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi