AuthorTopic: [Feedback] [CC] Bolero: Fantasy Tactics, pixel art  (Read 12546 times)

Offline falz

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback] [CC] Bolero: Fantasy Tactics, pixel art

Reply #60 on: January 29, 2020, 02:29:27 pm

Thank you for all the feedback, Chonk! Here is another revision. I think I see a little more what you mean. I used some more reference too. I'm having a hard time getting the armor to look good how it was so I changed the design a little

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/187855.htm
    • https://www.facebook.com/chonkypixel/?modal=admin_todo_tour
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Reply #61 on: January 29, 2020, 05:09:23 pm
Yeah, that's really coming on! You've got some great hair shapes there and it definitely has body and shape, nicely done.

Be careful about introducing noise to the image. Single pixels or short line segments are more likely to be producing noise rather than providing information. I would get rid of the solo pixels and the line segment a bit above them and replace them all with clusters more like the one above the line segment (top left of the hair) or even clusters that are bigger than that. These glints are an opportunity to reinforce your hair shapes and can suggest texture in areas that would otherwise be blank.

With a single pixel you can't suggest any kind of texture. With a cluster you can shape it to lead the eye in a direction or reinforce the detail of your material surface. With hair, they should obviously be longer than they are wide and point in the direction the hair is going. Getting good cluster shapes is one of those important keys to getting pixel art right, as I am starting to discover.

You can place them a bit further down to help break up the big shadow a bit.

Talking of clusters, you could tidy up the shapes in the hair highlights too. This is a bit of a "final sweep" thing, but you can just go over each cluster of pixels of the same shade and make sure it's a "nice" shape. Reduce jaggies where it doesn't damage the overall impression of the image, remove orphan pixels where you can (although attached by a corner still counts as attached), round corners where rounded shapes are required, make things pointy where they need to be pointy, and so on.

With the new breast-plate, I would just get rid of that dark outline between the top (bright) section and the leftmost section. Let the two colours butt up against each other, then introduce a thin line of a brighter shade to act as the glint that suggests metal. It probably doesn't need to go the whole way across and it can maybe thicken towards the point.

Those block colours suggest a matte surface, so have a look at some tutorials on drawing chrome or reflective metal to see if you can pick up some ideas for making it shine. Unless you *want* a matte look of course.

I kinda preferred the overall shape of the original breast-plate tbh, and the curve meant there was a bit more scope to do metal effects. With careful placement of highlights you could make that shape sing... the new one looks a bit small and out-of-place at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 05:17:54 pm by Chonky Pixel »

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: January 30, 2020, 02:26:45 pm
 :D

you convinced me to try the original armor again. It looks better. Plus some final touch ups
(edit) another. One more!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:45:19 pm by falz »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #63 on: January 30, 2020, 03:46:03 pm
honestly, I think that armor plate looks significantly worse. Doesn't have a solid form to it, why does it spike up on the right? why is the shape so indistinct?

The whole sprite I think suffers a lack of construction, however. Case in point, why does his sleeve have such a rubbery texture to it? what exactly is going on with his shoulder? his neck looks awfully thick for how slim the shoulders are!

Etc etc etc.

You might be best served redrawing this with construction in mind.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: January 30, 2020, 04:43:06 pm
What exactly do you mean with 'construction'?

Offline Chonky Pixel

• tequila_ben
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/187855.htm
    • https://www.facebook.com/chonkypixel/?modal=admin_todo_tour
    • View Profile
    • Chonky Pixel

Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 03:32:19 pm
I can only guess, but it sounds like MysteryMeat doesn't like the way your character works in the 3D space you're drawing.

With lower-res imagery, it can be easy to correct. It's just nudging a few pixels. However, with this many pixels around the place, fixing anatomy or 3D issues can be a task.

The idea of "construction" makes me think of "construction lines", so in this case, I guess it would mean working out the anatomy of the character, drawing it in as an outline, and getting all that right before starting on the shapes of things like the cloth (still as an outline), the breastplate, hair and so on. *Then* shading.

That sounds like a lot of work, and I know my anatomy skills are non-existent. There's this which might help a little:

https://justsketch.me/

Or "magic poser" for mobile, but I haven't tested that.

That won't help with the cloth or the breastplate though.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #66 on: February 01, 2020, 06:55:01 pm
Hi,

Great progress and great criticism so far!

Here's my edit of your portrait:

- straightened the eyes
- gave more volume to nose by adding shadows (side, bottom)
- spread out the shoulders to make his chest feel less squashed
- made the arms spread out more, to make them less rigid
- gave more definition to the hair with a darker green

Hope it helps! :) Let me know if you have any questions.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: February 03, 2020, 04:00:37 pm
Wow! That is fantastic. I've used a couple of the things you suggested for another edit. I want to get accross a perspective with the positioning of the arms, so maybe it is ,more obvious now. The head is also tilted slightly down, hence the right eye being a pixel lower but maybe that detail is too subtle with this many pixels.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:06:20 pm by falz »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #68 on: February 05, 2020, 09:43:13 pm
sorry for the slow response, chris pretty much addressed a lot of my concerns with the design and Chonky was pretty spot-on with what I meant by construction. You gotta avoid that freehand art jank with a style this detailed is alla.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: March 15, 2020, 01:38:07 am
First time making walk cycles for this perspective. Wondering what people think.