AuthorTopic: [Feedback] [CC] Bolero: Fantasy Tactics, pixel art  (Read 40617 times)

Offline falz

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback] [CC] FE style game sprites and animation

Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 11:40:58 pm
Yes! This worked for my purposes, thank you :) . Although, I did have to do a couple other things to make it work. Since exporting this way trims PNGs' canvas sizes and I need each png to be 40×40 pixels, I made a layer with 1% alpha pixels in each corner to set the frame. Also, flattening the frames puts the layers in reverse order so I have to correct that for every export.  Still, this is far faster than what I was doing before. Thanks!

Now, if only there was a way to do indexed color with frame animations. It doesn't seem like photoshop allows it :(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:45:04 pm by falz »

Offline pyxelbit

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 01:27:01 pm
i think theres a checkbox that says "crop layers" when exporting as a png. uncheck and it should prevent the trimming.

you can reverse all frames in the timeline panel menu with a single click btw :P

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: March 07, 2019, 10:30:53 pm
Oh yeah! The option box is "trim layers". Thx :) And reversing the frames in the timeline seems better too. The files still annoyingly append the layer names in reverse order, but I guess that doesn't matter

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 12:53:45 pm

This is the base sprite for the animations for the bandit class. I am not completely sure if I'm in love with how the face looks. I was curious if you guys had any suggestions, or if it looked sort of off in a specific place. I can't change it too much at this point since there are several animations that are using this. I also want it to look similarly proportioned to the Acolyte class's sprite on the previous page.

Offline falz

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback] [CC] Bolero: Fantasy Tactics, pixel art

Reply #44 on: April 14, 2019, 07:26:27 am
I've updated the bandit sprite. Face and hair are fuller, arms are thinner but more defined. I really think I'm satisfied with where its at now!

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: April 24, 2019, 05:16:10 am
I have tried to develop a third class. They are called a sentinel and excel at guarding your other units.

Also, I've been toying with the Acolyte design. I wanted to try something a little more detailed, out there. Also, I think her proportions were kind of weird, so her body is quite different.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:26:14 am by falz »

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: June 16, 2019, 03:59:54 am
I'm returning to doing more pixel art after having spent a couple months deep into the programming and planning aspect of the project.

The first thing I did was fixed a couple things nagging at me about the Bandit sprite. Like the neck was too thick, the legs too blocky, the arm was too long and didn't have a shoulder? Anyway, Here is my latest revision. At this point it seems inevitable that I'm going to change it some time in the future. Still I think it looks much better now.

old: -> new:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:07:18 am by falz »

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: June 16, 2019, 03:12:45 pm
Yeah I think it looks better now.
I can't avoid focusing my attention on the broken hair outlines but maybe I'm weird.

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: June 21, 2019, 08:53:40 pm
I've begun trying to spruce up the UI. It isn't something I have any experience with, really. I wonder how this is for a start? Any feedback would be immensely helpful.

edit: further mockup in photoshop

Still need to design the command menus. So far I've been borrowing ideas liberally from Tactics Ogre on PSP (screen shot) but I think my commands may need much more attention because of the different characters using different menus.
edit:
hm, maybe something like this? I'm not 100 on these icons yet, I spent the most time on the brawl one.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:22:01 pm by falz »

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: August 04, 2019, 05:23:52 am
I've made some enemy AI and the game is playable! But I guess this means I should try to make some enemies to fight. This is a ghostly figure which guards the tower.

This is the start, I'm hoping the elements are reading clearly. There a re a few things which aren't finished, like I want the cloths to be flowing in the wind, and the sword isn't quite cleaned up.
Edit: For the idle animation, I want it to be a little more subtle, so no bandages waving in wind. I'm wondering if the hand is too much?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 02:11:50 am by falz »