AuthorTopic: [Feedback] [CC] Bolero: Fantasy Tactics, pixel art  (Read 40638 times)

Offline falz

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback] [CC] FE style game sprites and animation

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 08:03:13 pm
I've finished the first draft of the mage's animation when she is the current unit.

I'm not sure its where it needs to be quite yet, but I like how it is turning out.
Also, I've taken a shot at making some new tiles. I still have a ways to go, but what do you guys think of this new direction?

(currently working on new art for the gray tiles and stairs)

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 09:29:13 pm
The mage looks good!

The tiles are still too noisy overall and they lack volume. It's hard to tell what's floor and what's a wall and it should be clear at first glance.
I'd make the top of the walls lighter or way darker and waaay less noisy or detailed.

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 12:35:36 am
A bit more work done

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 01:03:43 am
The mage is cool! You really applied what your learned from Ryu's edit :y:. Tiles, what curly said above. Let me try to help a bit:

Before texturing anything you should try to have very distinct shades to represent vertical planes (darker walls), horizontal planes (floors) and inclined planes (ramps/stairs). If light comes generaly from above, walls should be darker, floors should be lighter (because they are facing the light more directly), and ramps should be somewhat in between. Of course, when detailing a scene not everything will be made of the same material, and some materials are inherently darker regardless of shading (dark stone vs bright stone in your case) but first get the basic values straight, then variate latter.

So what I am suggesting is that, at first, you try to draw the scene with mostly flat color tiles, maybe just some outlining, to get a feel of the 3d shape of the scene. If you have trouble defining a scene with very flat shaded tiles, then the texturing will only make it harder. Chances are that you will spot some geometry mistakes that you were not noticing before because of the distractions.

After that you can start to cast the shadows on the floor, and then texture over the values that already give an idea of the basic 3d solids the scene is made of.  As a rule of thumb, the texturing should be less detailed than the characters, so they stand out over the tiles.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 01:07:45 am by Vinik »

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 07:46:24 pm
I'm certain there are no geometry mistakes in the case of this scene, it is the same room I've used to develop the game up until this point and I've changed it quite a few times.

I see what you guys are saying with defining floors vs walls and getting the volume across to the player. It seems difficult to do in general with the game's perspective and my choice to incorporate multiple heights of tiles.

To draw what the tiles here, it was something I don't have much experience with so I was using the backgrounds from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance as reference (because they are so beautiful!).

They seem to get away with detailed/noisy tiles. I trying to figure out what mine are missing... other than the raw talent!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 07:52:27 pm
Start with the values: Keep the floors generally lighter than the walls. Allow wall decorations to cast darker and more prominent shadows than floor decorations.

One reason that your examples get away with a lot of detail is that most of the floors are low-detail, the high-detail floor tiles are used very sparingly! And of course, they have a lot of detail on the walls, where the detail is not a problem.

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 09:56:13 pm
For sure, I will keep working on it. I also made this thread (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=66584.0) at Tigsource for the project if anyone wanted to know more about the project!

Thanks again for all the feedback people!

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 10:36:46 pm
Also, isometric view gives a much more imediate 3d effect. For jrpg like1:1 axonometric view you need to pump things up. Oh, I didn't mean to criticize your geometry, just that sometimes we might miss something when it is obscured by ambiguous light and too much detail :)

Offline falz

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 01:06:01 am
I wonder if this edit is a step in the right direction. At this point I've been staring at them too much and I'm afraid I'm losing touch with how they must actually look. I think I will take a break after this.

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 01:30:42 am
It's way clearer now :)

I'd like to see it at the original size though.
I think there's still some things I'm not too sure what they're supposed to be, but it has improved a lot.