Critique > Pixel Art

[Feedback] [CC] Bolero: Fantasy Tactics, pixel art

<< < (2/20) > >>

Ryumaru:
Already some good advice given, here's my take

Very charming sprites! While I don't know if the motion they're doing with the sword backhanded really makes sense, the hair bounce and fist pump have a lot of character.

I think your color choice could use some work, very flat and uninteresting.( and it's more of an issue in your tiles than sprites) A common trend, especially in jrpg sprites is for the shadows to tend towards one color, usually a blue/violet. Not only is this a convenient shorthand to describe some lighting scenarios, it gives the entire sprite a feeling of unity, and allows many characters to all feel like they belong in the same scene, no matter how different the local colors of their designs may be.

Also your treatment of the sword does little to describe it's material- in fact the buffering and AA you've applied makes it appear soft. Stronger contrast and a highlight ( that could come in and out of sight in animation) help sells the idea much better.

Hope this helps and good luck on your work ^_^

falz:
Holy cow! That looks very nice :)

You right on the sword, the animation should be better expressed through the hand (he's just slightly waving the sword). Your sword for sure looks better with better lighting and dimension. Also, your lighting around the whole character demonstrates more depth. Im not sure I want to use that much depth for each frame but there are some techniques here that I'm not using for sure! I'll be returning to this guy and I'll revamp the sword and hand and maybe some more details. For now, I've begun working on a Witch type character which I'll post progress on soon.

Thanks for all the help people really! I love seeing your interpretations. Concerning the background tiles, thanks for the critique, I drew those back in 2010 and am using them as placeholders right now. I'll post my attempts at real stuff soon!

Also, I keep wondering if this is taking me longer than it should :/ I think I worked around 10-15 hours on this guy... Does that seem like im working particularly slowly? I just haven't done an enormous amount of this work and the pace of progress feels painstakingly slow. Im still having fun though

Vinik:
Pixel art is not quick at all per se, it gets quicker as you get more experience but to do it right it always takes considerable time compared to other media. Rymaru here is a world class super hero so he probably works way faster and yet much better than me :P, and that only comes with experience and time. Don't worry about it unless it makes your pipeline unbearable. If so, develop stuff with place holders like you said (making too beautiful prototypes is often toxic as you might get attached to broken or not fully working protos).

@Ryumaru, man, nice edit, needless to say I am a fan of your work, which is very inspirational :) /Fan mode off

falz:
man, ryumaru, I couldn't unsee the way you did the hair/sword/colors. I tried to do a rework but I kinda copied a bit of what you did lol.

edit: Two ideas for the other character working off the same base. I think I'm gonna keep trying. I like these though.

edit: Another. I might stick with this one!
another edit ->

edit: idle animations

edit: slept on it, I changed some things about her design

edit: new color palette, animated

edit: finished animation for selected bandit unit with the new look.

Next is the selected animation for the mage woman. I'm not sure what I'll have her doing yet...

falz:
This is my first pass on what I want the final frame of the "selected" animation. I wanted it look badass, but maybe now it would be better as an attack animation... not sure yet. Also, did it pretty quickly and would love feedback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version