AuthorTopic: I'd like to post a contest in the challenge section  (Read 3635 times)

Offline rendaw

• View Profile

I'd like to post a contest in the challenge section

on: December 15, 2018, 10:16:37 am
for the TIC-80 retro computing platform.  I didn't find any rules that forbid it and it seems thematically correct, but I wanted to confirm first.

Is this okay?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: I'd like to post a contest in the challenge section

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 12:11:11 pm
Not a mod or anything but Pix needs activities. +1 here.
Might want to provide details though.

Offline rendaw

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 02:50:38 pm
Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment! 

That makes sense.  It's nothing too special, a 1 month gamedev contest with a theme that will be announced when it starts.  I'm organizing it to help test a micropayment platform backend (the target is coin-op games, whatever that might be imagined to be) but all the money for testing and the competition results will be provided.  I have a more detailed writeup, but I'm not sure when providing details becomes the actual contest advertisement  :)

This is the TIC-80 by the way, https://tic.computer/ - as a deliberately restricted experience it only lets you use 16 colors.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 03:03:24 am
If I remember it right, in Tic-80 you only have 16 colors but you can choose whatever colors you want with RGB sliders right? I think I actually had some Tic-80 sprites but wasn't able to export them.

I wonder if Tic-80 is related to or a fork of Pico-8, or if they are just similar in scope and aesthetics.

Offline rendaw

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 07:52:02 am
Yeah, I think that's the case.  It might also be possible to swap palettes mid-game?  Don't quote me on that though...

I'm not sure but I think they're unrelated, with TIC-80 being inspired by the latter?  Pico-8 is closed source and Tic-80 open, and they handle some stuff like export differently which doesn't seem to be a purposeful thing.

Offline rendaw

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 08:45:52 pm
Oh wait, that looks like the one place I can't create new topics.  Well here goes nothing!  Posting in the devlog board with a plea to the moderators to have mercy on me.