AuthorTopic: 8-Bit Werewolf [WIP]  (Read 6004 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: 8-Bit Werewolf [WIP]

Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 01:57:22 pm
I don't think you need outlines on the pecs at all. Pecs are really just a slight protrusion, bordered by the shadow cast by the head above and the shadows they cast on the abdomen (+ the upper abdomen itself being a shaded pit) below. Use the juxtaposition of light and shadow to show the pecs.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 06:16:15 pm
The ultimate werewolf study thread!    ;D

Your latest is very much improved.  My edit has only minor changes(mainly the hands and the snout and ear).  And as mentioned before, the forms are more important than any detail at this scale.  Good form conveys a lot of information.  Just play with it until it looks right is my best advice.  I guess what looks right takes practice(at least in my case I've found). 

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 02:46:58 am
Oh, thank God. You fixed the head, dpixel. I hated that head. Looked like a shark's head to me, but I didn't know what to do.

I was going to follow eishiya's advice and do an edit i.e. what you've done. I can't completely mentally visualize what edits I plan to make to a sprite just yet, but my plan was to do something like yours, so I'm glad that, even when I try to plan ahead, I'm getting a little better. I visualized a plan by just doing the chest area, but you took it a few steps further, which is a great bit of learning on my part, so thank you.

EDIT: Also, I see you added and got rid of some of the pixels to make the sprite more accurate. Honestly, it's a real shame I couldn't accurately build the sprite properly cuz, if memory serves me right, I think I made the same number of mistakes with the bigger version.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:52:37 am by thesydneylad »

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 03:49:43 am
Just a head's up. I think I've got the idea down on how to draw the werewolf in different styles. Before I had no idea what to do. But now I think I understand. I'm gonna draw a fighting pose, with the original werewolf picture in mind. I all comes down to the trouble of drawing it on paper now.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 09:53:02 am
This is a marked improvement from some of your earlier work, good job! Also the scale here is good- still requires great pixel technique, but you can actually begin to - sort of- draw things as well. Looking forward to your new werewolf too  ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:54:49 am by Ryumaru »

Offline thesydneylad

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 12:06:18 am
Alright, so here it is - the 'fighting' genre sprite of the werewolf.

I drew up a sketch that was good enough to upload: TOO GIGANTIC TO DISPLAY
https://i.imgur.com/4XnD0ZX.jpg

I left the head bare because I wasn't sure how much room I was going to be given on the sprite, so I decided to make it up once I knew what dimensions I had to work with.

Next image is the color-coded version, Chris' process:

Gotta say, color coding the image helped me to see flaws in small places that helped me see how to fix them.

Final image:

The left leg on the final image is completely different because while I was trying to clean up the leg to make it look better, I noticed after a while that the leg had naturally changed it's look, so I decided to keep it cuz I thought it looked a lot better.

The head changed between the 'color' and 'final' files because I was having so much trouble creating a werewolf head, that I just gave up and image searched for an 8-bit werewolf - came from this (https://r.mprd.se/media/images/57436-Werewolf_-_The_Last_Warrior_(USA)-2.jpg). But I gave it another try the next day, but this time I 'molded' it and came out with a head that matches the...art style(?). Either way, I feel happier knowing that I made a head by myself.

It should be noted that I'm not 100% satisfied with the end result, only because I knew it was going to be a real challenge to keep the werewolf's original essence of his pose and to transfer it into a fighting pose for a video game.

So far I've learnt that I should make my sketch on paper as pitch perfect as I can. Though this piece was a challenge, I'm positive that this has been the fastest sprite I've made from scratch, and it's all because of the multiple attempts I made to perfect the sketch.

Offline Warnervox

• Warnervox
    • Warnervox
    • Warnervox
    • Warnervox
    • Warnervox
    • View Profile

Community updates

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 06:32:30 am
Hello Friends,
We would like to offer a public, heartfelt thank you to every SMF community member who gives good answers to support questions.  We would especially like to thank the Community Support Helper group.
Nice to meet you,.
Thanks,