AuthorTopic: Can't get palette right  (Read 4336 times)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Re: Can't get palette right

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 11:45:48 am
Zanorin makes a good point, but colour-shifting isn't simply a gimmick: it helps describe what material you're making, or the light in the space which it is in.

I would say what could be improved is the contrast, as this will help them stand out.

Edit:

Third image is the edited wall with a noise layer set in difference mode, so it's NPA. It does give you an idea of how you can make the wall interesting by working on its texture.

Hope it helps. :)
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Zanorin

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/177874.htm
    • BasmatiPixel
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 12:09:52 pm
it helps describe what material you're making, or the light in the space which it is in.
^ I completely agree with this, I forgot to mention it, the hue will have to change for the object to better fit in the environment.

I'm not really convinced by your third wall though, it looks way too noisy for pixel art imho (plus it has 230 different colors).
EDIT: I just looked up NPA and discovered it means not pixel art, so forget what I just wrote :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:11:31 pm by Zanorin »
Half a noob figuring out stuff.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 11:40:13 pm
Generaly gray stuff is a good opportunity to play with complimentary hues blending on gray in the middle, such as warm yellowish lights, gray midtones and cold bluish shadows, or brow-red earthy shadows (more like tinted by ambient light from the soil around) against dessaturated cyan which is like reflecting the skylight a bit, passing on gray in the middle shades. Zanorin gave a lot of nice examples, give it a go :)

Offline mar_cuz

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 10:13:39 pm
Thanks for all the input guys this has been very helpful