AuthorTopic: Twinsen jump anim  (Read 3381 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Twinsen jump anim

on: January 10, 2007, 08:55:24 am
firstly, heres how the sprite works:

which is whats currently being used in the game. I've never felt happy using it, and Ive improved it a little every so often from the original which was so damn subtle it could've been used as an idle anim.

heres what I made just now:

as you can see its pretty awkward, the main cause is because the sprite style in this game is flat shaded with some inconsistent outline rules that I haven't got around to finalizing.
that said, I don't want to add any more frames, nor do I think I would need to, and they have to work under the structure shown in the sheet which can be a blessing and a curse...

k so anyways, I really need some advice, crits, edits, whatever you have.
Ive remade this jump anim so many times I just cant think of a good way

edit-

made it go up and down for a better idea of what its like in motion, I didnt do it that well tho lol
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:31:59 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Twinsen jump anim

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:23:31 am
needs more jump..
at the moment it looks like he is falling because his arms and hair and chain is moving upwards throughout the entire anim.
You need more burst of motion at the beginning to show a force being exerted against the floor causeing him to shoot up.
Try focusing on the force he would need to exert downwards in order to bounce upwards..
I'd personally considering describing the guy extending his entire body, maybe having his arm go up quickly as he pushes against the ground..

Offline ejay

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:31:00 am
I think it's much better now, and I love the addition of secondary motion you to the hair and medallion, but I think you can push it even further. Try adding another frame of anticipation in which the entire body is more squished and the energy is being readied in the muscles, then make the release frame more powerful , legs and feet pushing the body forcefully off the ground. Same idea goes for the landing part- right now it feels like he lands too softly, let the body absorb the energy of the fall by getting more bent and squashed.
As for the motion of the hair and medal- try making them lag behind the body's motion so that they only come to a full rest a frame or two after the body does.

The black outline isn't a problem in my opinion, but perhaps you should let darker outline colors to penetrate the sprite whenever a limb crosses over the body itself (like the right arm and foot do in the peak of the new animation).

(Alex Hanson-White posted his reply while i was writing this one, sorry if I'm repeating his words)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 11:30:17 pm
Shift key broken?
Anyway, I don't like the inconsistantly lengthed arms. It looks like they're growing out of him and then retracting.
Also, I think you should exaggerate the initial crouch more.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:54:26 pm
Is the crouch part even necessary? It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, your jump[from your demo] was executed instantly, which seems like it wouldn't leave you any time to have a crouching, prejump animation. If I'm wrong about how your jump works, then ignore that completely.