AuthorTopic: Lady Justice  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Lady Justice

on: January 08, 2007, 01:45:06 pm
Whew, here we go.

I was messing around with pixeling characters, Kinda trying to capture the style of how the sit in Tactics/RPGs game.

This, eww, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Dead_Tree/Badlydoneness.png
is what i came up with. I decided it was wrong, it was too small too stiff and too lacking in... well, character.

So I tried again, This time attempting to pixel a character I've had in my head for quite some time. I made it bigger and tried to make it seem less... plastic (if you know what i mean)
Heres the result

Far more effort and a good result i think :). the character is based of the Roman Goddess of justice, Lady Justice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Justice

Obviously her weapon is gonna be a huge ass sword. :P (I also pirated her up a little, cause i like pirates)
Progression: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Dead_Tree/WIPgurl.png

Next, i decided to make a little sprite using one of St0vens as a reference
http://pixelheart.net/123/7.gif (found in Oldbie Pixel Art thread)

Heres Mine:

and finally heres the female template I made/then used.

Whew. I'll post more as i make more. but now i think its time to sleep!

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Lady Justice

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:02:01 pm
she needs to have a much more confident pose, head upright etc. and if youre being even slightly traditional, i think you should make her beauty more conventional. more beauty, less sexy.
pixel tech is strong.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 12:31:20 am
she needs to have a much more confident pose, head upright etc. and if you're being even slightly traditional, i think you should make her beauty more conventional. more beauty, less sexy.

Why? I'm sorry for rejecting this crit but i see no reason to implement this, as everything mentioned above that you think needs changing was done as choice on my part. if i wanted a more confident looking character i would of taken a different pose from the start. remember, although loosely based of "Justitia" the character is not the roman goddess, but a character in her own right.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 12:41:14 am
Its just a situation in which the personality of the person portrayed does not go with the design. The crit i made has nothing to do with pixel tech, so it is only as valid as you decide it to be, no problems.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 12:55:41 am
Its just a situation in which the personality of the person portrayed does not go with the design.
I think your assuming too much of the characters personality (I had more of a roguish anti-hero in mind actually). But thank you for your input none the less.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 01:08:42 am
There is a point, however, where choice borders bad judgement. Although the stance might be your choice, it's rather hard to understand. I don't get why her head is tilted, it looks like she is shaking water out of her ear. If she was talking to someone, which portraits usually suggest, i don't think her head would be facing sideways/theground.  Her arm's position is also a bit amiss. If it is supposed to suggest she is holding something, you may want to incorperate it in the piece, otherwise, i'd suggest that she have a more idle-looking stance. she just looks awkward.

in the sprite she doesn't look comfortable in her position, almost like she is popping a squat. I think the feet should be placed farther apart. not too sure.

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 01:52:46 am
I think the misunderstanding is that it is counterintuitive for a Roguish Antihero to be associated with Justice.

But we surely all remember "The Upright Man", leader of the theives' guild in Krondor. I like your choice of character, Mr. Fox :) It is more interesting than standard justice. She strikes me as a thief with her own particular brand of honor.

Not much to say on the pixel level, but I really like the overall idea.

Though I do not see it if I study it closely, when I just glance at the portrait picture, it looks like the scales of justice should be bigger, or at least the bar should be wider. I do not know :)