AuthorTopic: Trying some anatomy: The torso  (Read 2835 times)

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Trying some anatomy: The torso

on: January 07, 2007, 10:21:44 pm
After looking at a lot of threads involving anatomy and design, along with many of the threads made by Baccaman and Helm (thanks, your posts really help) I tried my hand at anatomy, palette choosing, and shading for the first time.

C+C welcome, although saying that is pretty redundant.

CURRENT:

Here is my shading practice:

Just wanna know if I'm heading in the right direction or not. I havn't really tried anything big yet, just simple techniques. Are there any books I can pick up on anatomy?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 11:51:12 pm by am_pm »

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Re: Trying some anatomy: The torso

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:33:20 pm
Theres not much to say at this point except that you havnt seemed to leave your self any room to put a glimps of the back in. this would help round of the figure and make it look more natual.

Its looking nice so far so keep working at it.

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 11:52:11 pm

How does it look now? I tried adding some more like the arms n' head and such. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 01:12:43 am
the anatomy isn't exactly 'correct' proportion wise, but it seems like mostly your doing that intentionally.  If you weren't, then some quick things to point out; his deltoids are abnormally large and irregularly separated from the torso (namely the pectorials), his shoulders are a bit too wide even for an exaggerated character such as this, and his lack of neck has some issues design wise.  The rest of the character obviously isn't finished, so I'll hold my comments about it.

this actually reminds me a whole lot of Roc from the Miuchiz project I worked on...  character design was already made for me, and the style is quite cartoony, but maybe it still might help you a bit.

heres an edit.  I lightened up your darkest colour just a tad and fixed a bunch of anatomy stuff.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:56:38 am
Wow, I really like your edit, because it is exactly what I wanted to achieve. I have a lot of trouble getting my ideas out into the open y'know?

I'll do some more observing and then make my edits. Thanks a bunch.