AuthorTopic: Zelda Style Sprites  (Read 7973 times)

Offline pixelsforhire

• http://heylookitsmatt.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile

Zelda Style Sprites

on: January 07, 2007, 09:43:02 pm
Hey, I'm working on a game with two other guys (both programmers.) Its a pretty straightforward Zelda/Gauntlet style action/arcade game with a twist. I won't go into details because I'm sure all you guys want to see is the pixels.

Here's a little mockup. I cluttered the room up a bit to show off some of the powerups.

These are my tiles:

I'm aware that the ground tile needs to be "de-gridded."

These will be used in a minigame:

Anyways, let me know what you think. Also, in the game the character's colors are customizible (must choose a color from my preset pallet, though.) I just picked some random schemes for this mockup.

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Re: Zelda Style Sprites

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:53:05 pm
I like 'em :D
The green blob looks a little flat though.
The tiles look really nice IMO.
The diamond on the bottom right kinda looks odd too, a little flat.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:56:17 pm
I like how it ties together but I don't like the roundness of the heads.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:01:31 pm
I like it. It looks kind of cute and kiddy. Problem I have is that it lacks any lighting really which doesn't help make the characters look like they are there. I would suggest some shadows.

There's a bit of a crude edit. I think Zelda did this but the whole perspective looks a bit off. You could try making the south walls and maybe east walls a bit narrower so it looks more in perspective but if you don't want to do that you could at least shade two of your directions so the lighting looks a bit more natural.

Offline pixelsforhire

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:46:38 pm
Yeah, I was planning to put shadows on the crystal thingies and make them bob up and down in mid air, but I forgot. Maybe I should put shadows on everything. Thanks for the advice. Also, the round heads are kind of a theme. All the enemies look like those round heads. Stick some wings on a black one and you have a bat, give it legs and you've got a spider, make it kind of squishy and bam, a slime. I guess its too cutesy for some, though.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:28:52 pm
That does look good. A little simplistic, but sometimes it's nice to look at something without a bunch of complex lighting and hue changes and whatever. I am a little worried about the lack of contrast between the floor and walls, though. It should be fairly clear in a game what's a passable area and what's not. You can tell in this shot because of the black emptyness around it, but I think it'd be confusing if there was a larger room with thin walls over the place.

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 02:59:51 am
The objects and characters stand out to much, either brighten up the wall with saturations or lower it on the objects and chars, it makes it look bad... :huh:
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline pixelsforhire

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 06:03:27 am

Just a fast rework. I put some black outlines on the walls and shadows on characters. I had trouble making shadows on the objects not look crappy, plus I was kind of trying to keep them all under 16x16 do to my stupid "pixel-artist-who-cares-too-much-about-outdated-resolution-restrictions-itis" (actual medical condition.) I also darkened the blob. The dark area is supposed to be on the ground with the rest of him being semi-see through. I guess that wasn't obvious. Probably still isn't. Still haven't fixed the cobblestone. Do the powerups need some way of standing out? I tried white outlines and shadows...

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 10:09:49 pm
The power ups are fine but i really like the old cliff less vibrant and just lower the saturation on all the objects and characters, un;ess you're going for a more cartoony look. I could tell from the very beggining the blob was slightly tanslucent.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 12:18:51 am
The 2d zelda perspective really makes stuff seem flat. You sure you want to imitate that? I guess it make tiling simpler because you can use the same wall tiles for every side, but that doesn't make up for how weird sprites and objects will look next to walls.

Maybe consider making the walls an orange or yellowish colour? the yellow or orange will pop out more to the eye making it more obvious that  the blue-purple is in the BG, and you won't have a problem separating hte walls from the floor. Try and incorporate more hue-shift.

Looking nice so far, keep it up.