AuthorTopic: Lineage 2 Homage  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Lineage 2 Homage

on: January 07, 2007, 04:01:45 am
Here's something I cooked up today in GG. It's a sprite form of my old character from Lineage 2. Some of the detail I didn't pack in there because it "wasn't possible".

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/billiebonka/reference.jpg

Oh and special thanks to David for inspiring me with his art.  :)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Lineage 2 Homage

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 04:16:04 am
Well, to start with, there is something that sticks out a bunch that I feel should be fixed first.  Now remember, I'm no anatomy expert, but the legs are far too short, and I would guess that they should be about a "head's worth" longer.
Next, I think that the highlights on the clothes should be addressed.  It is unnoticeable at 1x1, which poses a problem--try adding some contrast between the base color and the highlight color.

But on the flip side, I compliment you on the way the metal's shaded, and on how you've achieved a very similar armor structure to the original. With some touch up here and there, this piece will be keen in no time.  Good work.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:58:54 am
I'll be honest I didn't think threw the lengths of stuff before doing this. I kind of just winged it. I started with a base I made with the muscle structures underneath and then worked over top of it.

I'm not sure off hand what the different lengths using head heights are. You have any links? I remember reading it once though I'm not sure whether or not I'll change the height because I was kind of going for a chunky style.

Your comment about the highlights on the clothes; the clothes were originally going to be all "black" and not going to worry about highlights but then I decided to go with something subtle. That's what I did without introducing a new color I used my darkest armor color. It's not meant to be metal or any super shiny material just dark so I don't want too much contrast.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 08:37:47 am

I meant something along the lines of this.  Notice how the two colors you had blend together when zoomed out, and the two I used, when zoomed out, you can tell them apart.  I also threw in some black for further contrast.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:28:41 pm
The anatomy is very broken, I don't think going for a style excuses it. You'd do well to study anatomy even if you in the end decide to use some deformed style. First you learn so you have options, then you select the option that suits you.

Traditionally, a body is 7 heads high. There's many anatomy references on the internet you could use, but if you want, I can do an edit.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 03:58:10 pm
Rydin:
I see what you mean but I'm not sure that's quite what I'm going for. I definitely don't think I'll dither because the material appears to be almost a leather from the screenshots but without much sheen. Maybe I will try just making the highlight on the darker part one shade brighter.

Helm:
You're right the anatomy is off. I guess the style excuse is a bit lame but in all honesty I'm not going for complete realism as I said I wanted a bit of a chunkier look (wide shoulders, small looking head, etc). I just started studying anatomy though so I think an edit would be helpful, as I've seen from your wonderful draw over anatomy guides before. I'll post my base which would probably be of more help to get some correction on then the fully armored version.

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 04:46:35 pm
Looks pretty good, I had to use the reference to figure out what armor set he was wearing though, doesn't really look like the doom set too much color-wise. Still looks nice other then the other points picked out. I'd also say to try to rework the shoulder pads a bit.

Nice job.

P.s what server did/do you play on?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 06:02:08 pm

first is your own, second is anatomically correct, third is short and stocky-like, though still following 'the rules' more or less. I hope this helps.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 09:39:36 pm
Helm:
Thanks a lot Helm that's very helpful, I'll see what I can do as far as an update goes.

progFX:
I know the Doom set is probably a bit more black but I wanted a bit more color to it. I suppose it could look a little like Blue Wolf. I'll see what I can do about the shoulder pads though I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with them that you were talking about. Oh and I used to play on Erica until I got banned. Had a level 60 Abyss Walker.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 01:09:47 am
Awww, inspired by me. How sweet.

I don't think that the length of the legs is really a problem. The only thing that bothers me about them is the direction of both of them. His right one is bent inward much too much and seems to have clothing/armor that's higher than that on the left leg. More importantly, neither seems to line up with his chest and belt that almost seem to be facing straight at the viewer.

I can see the highlight on the clothes but they don't seem to make much sense. The lightsource is somewhere from the top, yet the highlight is strictly on the left of everything. I don't think there needs to be any more contrast on them depending on what type of material they're supposed to be made of.

I like it.