AuthorTopic: I really need help on this one  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

I really need help on this one

on: January 06, 2007, 09:44:02 pm
Usually I can figure things out pretty easily but this is really bothering me.
I need to find an image to figure out how to pixel a big portrait of a spaceship.

the spaceship really isnt much though so it'll make it a bit harder...

any linearts, sketches, examples would be great.  (I will not steal any linearts...obviously)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: I really need help on this one

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:39:48 pm

Here's an example. not sure how 'big' you were going for, so i just took a stab.  Generally the method (for me) is just sketching out a bunch of rough shapes in some sort of perspective. It's a really bad method for some people, more advanced artists will probably tell you to calculate measurements, perspectives... yada yada.

Anyway, take away from it what you will, hope it helps.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 11:02:08 pm
You could make a 3d model and then base your drawing off a render you make. The advantage of this would be you could easioly
tweak the angle/perspective until you liked it.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 06:36:04 am
I would however im still very confused upon how to use zbrush...I watched a video from the collective art topic but it didnt help me too much.  hes working all these tools and such so fast I cant see it all.

maybe ill give your idea a try stwelin, thanks.  oh...by the way, I was lookign for something about 128x128 (within that area) but your basic shape and design.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:30:24 am
I don't think z-brush would work very well for a spaceship, though. It's more aimed at organic modeling. Personally I'd make this in a more conventional 3d program.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:02:28 am
Do what I do, break out the LEGO™! It's like 3d-modeling, but fun. When you're finished you can just hold up the piece and use it as reference.