AuthorTopic: (WIP) tactics character(s)  (Read 40103 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: (WIP) tactics character(s)

Reply #70 on: February 20, 2007, 07:51:47 am
That armor in the drawing doesn't make sense. Looks like the dude's got a bunch of post-it notes stuck to him.

Post-it notes with apostrophes drawn on them :P  There's not a whole lot you can do with your character if you intend on staying loyal to the letter of the design.  I'd take it more like "this guy is supposed to be covered with simple plate armor," and then actually come up with a design that will read and look exciting.  Right now it looks like he was attacked by a passive-aggressive person with a penchant for extremely short quotations.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: February 20, 2007, 04:11:38 pm
Since the project is down (I've heard of the leader for 16 days now :( ) I claim this sprite as my own. This means I can change the design too. First I drew a few sketches but they all sucked so I tried changing the design by just wessing around with the pixels
Result:

It's not done, I didn't add much detail to it, I just posted it here to get your advice for the design.
Is it an improvement?  Should I change anything? I think It looks better now, but the legs look a little weird...

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: February 20, 2007, 09:14:22 pm
I like the new model... its not so "stuffy"

still I can't say what to improve, except the left foot seems a little bit... strange : /

maybe removing the 2 last pixel rows...

//Albin

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: February 21, 2007, 12:42:13 pm
Quick Edit, tried to address the few nit-picky things that were bugging me.  Its a lot more extensive than i originally thought it would be, so theres a lot there i dont expect you to like/use ^^

this piece has come so far since you set the thread up.  a few more looks-over and imo youve done enough - move one to animation :)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #74 on: February 21, 2007, 02:27:53 pm
Hm... Adarias, are you sure suggesting to him that he uses flesh shades as speculars on metal, and brown shades on blue hair is a good idea?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: February 21, 2007, 02:58:19 pm
are you suggesting it isnt?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #76 on: February 21, 2007, 04:29:09 pm
Yes. flesh shade on metal makes no sense, and further -because not making physical sense is not a dealbreaker for game art - it makes it look as if the armor has holes in it through which we see the flesh. Brown on blue hair just seems to me as if he's dirty. Both of these suggestions in my opinion smell of 'use colors on other colors since you have them' which as you should in your own artistic path have noticed, is a very easy thing to abuse.

edit: so I'm not just countering critique, here's something I'd suggest. Simplicity, readability and a small controlled palette I think suits this sort of art more

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 04:48:56 pm by Helm »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: February 21, 2007, 05:53:20 pm
not to derail the topic, but fleshtones is reflected on metal all the time.  dirt, wood, stone, grass, and many types of building materials all cast that color on metal while the sky reflects those blues. Personally, i find that they complement each other nicely and tone down the armor, which too me looked too crayola. The brown in the hair again is just to take the color down by adding a complement.  It doesnt seem at all to have holes in it to me, although sprites of this size are rather open to interpretation. 

i also would be careful about defining or redefining why people do certain things, or what they should or should not have noticed, or label things as abuses, or claiming that perfectly reasonable things do not make physical sense.  In my experience, That kind of talk has never served anyone.

I like your edit in that the forms are more clear.  i worry about making the midsection armor appear to be spandex though, as many games do, when they remove all of the shines.  perhaps there is some better medium?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #78 on: February 21, 2007, 05:56:36 pm
The thing about pixelart for games that is this small is that it needs to be readable. The original and your edit just looked too cluttered. Yes metal reflects skintones and other stuff, but does that help at such a size? Not really.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: February 21, 2007, 06:07:48 pm
i agree, ptoing, and i don't have any problem with simplification aside from the spandex issue, which i think can be resolved easily.  Had that been the only thing said, that would have been great, but there was quite a bit more said there that i found concerning.
A mistake is a mistake.