AuthorTopic: Character sprite design thingy...  (Read 6076 times)

Offline Acke

• Oh yeah! Pixel for me baby! ;)
    • View Profile

Character sprite design thingy...

on: January 06, 2007, 01:41:39 am
I was bored tonight and had nothing better to do than pixel... I'm guessing it lacks a bit in shading in the lower legs on the biggest one, plus the legs are sort of posed in a strange way on the smaller ones...

So other than that, crits are welcome!

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Re: Character sprite design thingy...

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 05:41:22 am
They're awesome.  Maybe some more contrast, and some hue shifting. But other than that, superb.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:07:21 am
These are really great. I like the middle one's hair. For the largest one, are her hips too small?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Acke

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 03:05:47 pm
GOODNIGHTdestroyer: Cheers! Anyways, to be honest I have no clue on how hue shifting works... oh. Where do you think she needs more contrast?

sharprm: Thanks! Yeah I was pretty happy with that hair, hehe. Hips better now?

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 03:14:13 pm
 Cool! I'd like to see some of the eyes. Good anyways.

Offline Acke

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 04:21:31 am
Did some minor fixes and a WIP portrait.

New       Old

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 04:55:35 am
Are those light metal things where her knees are supposed to be. Becuase if so the lower part of her leg is too short. Also her
right arm's upper section seems too long. With the largest portrait, is her face too small?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 05:49:39 am
I think the face is too small.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 08:54:41 am

I did what I could with your design, but I must admit, I'm not a fan of giant booby-mech-ninja girls. Also, it seems like you gained influence from the metroid character, what with the the long legs, and large upper body. However, her boobs are way to huge, in my opinion.
   The design of the suit, in the upper body(the bra/tank top region), would, in reality, cause some spillage of boobs all over the place. And if not her breasts spilling out of the suit, there would most likely be some nip-slips. That, or her boobs are sagging way to much. So I just tried to decrease the size of her breasts, and got rid of the cleavage. I also added some shine to the black metal parts. I decided to also shorten her upper body, change the position of her legs, as well as add a head strap since her peak looked like she was wearing one before hand. Also, the portrait could use a little bit of work, as her face is way to small, as mentioned before.
   Despite these critiques, I still think it was pretty well done. I like the way the hair was done. Despite the juggies, her design was actually pretty cool.
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 01:26:30 pm
on the portrait, you have clustered all the facial characteristics on the bottom of the face. Perhaps you improvised the face too much. Start from a proper schema of the face and go from there, don't just make an oval and put things in it.

Offline pixelsforhire

• http://heylookitsmatt.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
    • http://heylookitsmatt.deviantart.com/

Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 04:27:10 am
I gotta say, I like the original. I think there was a bit too much contrast on the dark metal areas in the edit and it pulls all of the viewer's attention to the character's extremities. It would be great if there was something there you were trying to call attention to, but such is not the case.

Offline Acke

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 11:15:00 am
First of all, thanks for all the comments guys!

Adrian: Aye. Now that I look at it again it really is. Cheers.

The B.O.B: Well. First of all, you not liking the design I honestly dont really care about. I myself am not a big fan of big wobbly titties tho and I plan to size them down. Ninja? No. As for the contrast stuff I guess thats a matter of personal opinion but yea. I totally agree with you about the face being too small in the portrait and the tits being too big. Big tits... meh. :P Thanks for the comments dude.

Helm: I honestly don't understand what you mean by that... Explain further what you mean with "all the facial characteristics being clustered at the bottom of the face". Cheers!

Sadly enuff univ studies are back on and it might take a while before I get a chance to correct all these things and actually pixel at all. But again, thanks for all the comments guys.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 11:52:43 am

what do I mean?