AuthorTopic: New(er) stuff!  (Read 9291 times)

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

New(er) stuff!

on: September 26, 2005, 05:34:57 am

A small self-portrait I started during the summer and finished up just now(with a trackpad, no less, and it sucks using trackpads), based on some other ones that I did during school last year (some of you have seen them already), although not entirely in the same style.

A couple animations I did in my free time during my senior year in high school.  I spent most of my time in independent art class doing things that I would never turn in.  I could have spent the entire class time picking my nose and I still would have gotten an A.  Damn, I'm so glad I'm out of there.
rip ninjalicious

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Re: New(er) stuff!

Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 06:10:06 am
 I must say it's wonderful! The shading is smooth and well shaded. Good work Sawtooh. The character reminds me of a doom character STF I made a long time ago.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 08:06:36 am
Hmm, the running kind of looks like he's leaning backwards. Great animations for such small sizes!

Offline ejay

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 08:27:51 am
Cool stuff, i really like the portrait.
The animation are indeed very well done but both the running animation and to a lesser extent the jumping animation need to sharpen the sense of weight- the running figure should probably lean forward a bit as Dusty said , with more exeggerated up/down motion as each leg in turn touches the ground and receives the body's weight.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 02:45:25 am
Oh no, you mirrored. What a terrible person you are now. Really though, I love your self-portrait and not just because I have a slight man crush on you. Only things that bother me are how straight your eyebrows are and the strength or the highlight on the bumps between your nose and lips. What are those things called?

I can't really comment on animation as I don't know animation. I do agree his run is a bit wonky though.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 03:04:06 am
i love the animation personally, it adds flare to it. Very quirky and different. His coat is far too stationary though for him to be running like that, i would at least expect it to wave or bob around a bit more. the portrait is also some great shit, do you mind bringing back those flaming lips ones for a bit, i just wanna see them again lol.
alexander

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 03:08:58 am
Hey
From your potrait you must be a serious mothaf#$  ;)
your animation looks great, but I could crticize the run, is the acting correct? It looks like he's running on the spot, maybe he could put some feeling into it?
peace!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 08:13:13 pm
I really have no crits, sawtooth. You know what you doing. For great justice. I could bother you with style choices and 'how I would do it' stuff but it's nonsense. What I'd like you to do if you feel up to it is, post a truckload of your old art, whatever you think is good or interesting to look at because you were and remain one of my favourite pixelation artists and I'd like to get to see that stuff again. I'm sure all the new people will appreciate the awesomeness too.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 01:01:49 am
what's a trackpad? your self-portrait kinda looks like me :D
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 01:48:52 am
if a trackpad is what i think it is (like on the front of my laptop?) you are not skilled, you are a psychotic masochist.
portrait is great, i think the hair may look a little flat (compared to face)... needs some sort of depth added.

the animation :

1.  The top pixel of head should not disappear and appear like that i dont think
2.  If the one pixel of hair moves (nice touch), why not make the whole fringe bounce slightly?)
3.  Ditto.  Also, watch the arm upswing timing, you will find this is almost one of the first things to happen when jumping, it is part of the moving of energy causing your body to lift.