AuthorTopic: [C+C] [Feedback] 1-Bit Pixelart  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Curly

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] [Feedback] 1-Bit Pixelart

Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 06:39:55 pm
It's hard to read the character over the wall tiles.

Offline Ma3vis

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 11:19:29 pm
Current Progress:

Still workin on the brick wall, modified the housing and extended its length, attempting to make progress on the marshland water and desert sands tileset. [C+C] Any advice, tips or contributions are appreciated, thanks

[Edit:] @eishiya -- still workin on the windmill's body, will add roofing soon as possible. there is a vague sense of scale, but not exact scaling. just kinda wanted to make the scenery and enemies loom over the player character abit.

the walkways are an issue, adding too much detail obscures the player character but leaving the tiles with alot of whites either creates a distraction or becomes disruptive to the scenery. added more volume to the house, and tried to give the roof better lighting but still needs to be detailed. idk what to do about a door  as i am sorta disappointed with the previous variations.

Hopefully this clears things up abit :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:20:45 am by Ma3vis »

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 01:04:50 am
Man, this would look so true on a cheap ass liquid crystal display with those blending an faint real shadows under the dark pixels.

I second curly in that characters are hard to read over walls, bit I suppose that at this level of limitation the best approach would simply be not allowing charcaters to overlap tiles, and blank out the tile currently occupied by a character.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 08:52:33 pm
Apologies for the lazy edits.

For water I though of using that overly sized cell-wall looking thing everyone does:

I think if you angle it slightly more it'll look pretty good on your tileset.

Your walls/tower/trees you try too hard on:

Just remove chunks of black from the highlighted areas to make large areas of white and remove white from the shadows. Ez.

If you wanna make trees what eishiya said is right, you start with a shaded simple shape and just add texture to the edges. Also shown here.
* may contain misinformation