AuthorTopic: My first pixel fanart (and pixel artwork)  (Read 2227 times)

Offline YellowRaven

• yellowravenink
    • yellowravenink
    • yellowravenink
    • View Profile
    • AmIaNerd?

My first pixel fanart (and pixel artwork)

on: November 26, 2018, 10:25:43 pm
Ok so, I read all the rules (and my hands are sweating a bit)...this here is my very first pixel art work, I thought it would be a good exercise to start with pokemon, probably because it was the pixel game I played the most and I feel very familiar with it.
I didn't want to copy the existing sprites nor retrace an original artwork. I have used an official pokemon art image as reference and an original pokemon sprite always and only as reference for the outline colors (somehow I felt weak for doing this...) but I didn't use the color palette from such sprite. I watched a lot of tutorials in the last week and felt a bit lost, I think I may have started to pick up a bit the basic concepts but at some point I tried to keep in mind too many rules and felt frustrated with an original drawing of mine...so I chose to exercise. Still I feel the sprite is quite unappealing...and general feedback might help me a bit.

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text...
“We all have forests on our minds. Forests unexplored, unending. Each one of us gets lost in the forest, every night, alone.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: My first pixel fanart (and pixel artwork)

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:21:16 am

*Rough edit*
Needs better lighting / shadows. It's pretty good for a first pixel art. I'd argue it needs more colors but maybe that's the pokemon style.

Offline YellowRaven

• yellowravenink
    • yellowravenink
    • yellowravenink
    • View Profile
    • AmIaNerd?

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 11:26:25 am

*Rough edit*
Needs better lighting / shadows. It's pretty good for a first pixel art. I'd argue it needs more colors but maybe that's the pokemon style.

I did try to go a bit for the original pokemon style (though I was afraid to use too many colors on the leaf and left it at that).
Seeing your edit helped me a lot actually! Is great to see how colors can make an image a lot more dynamic.

I shall work on it to improve it, thanks again!
“We all have forests on our minds. Forests unexplored, unending. Each one of us gets lost in the forest, every night, alone.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin

Offline YellowRaven

• yellowravenink
    • yellowravenink
    • yellowravenink
    • View Profile
    • AmIaNerd?

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 03:01:53 pm
I have updates my sprite, I think it looks a bit more "alive" now :D