AuthorTopic: Top Rated Pixel Art of 2006  (Read 7560 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: Top Rated Pixel Art of 2006

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 01:15:31 pm
way too much crap, look at http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/11031.htm for example.
it should really just be the top 10, maybe 20 pieces of the year not over 40 pages :-\
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 05:43:35 pm
It is really odd to me that the Spartan got so many votes and love (thank yous to you people who just said you liked it too, by the way) because usually Pixel Joint is very populist. That being said, I do believe Big Brother's piece is one of the best pixel art pieces posted there in 2006, regardless of the fact that it's black women with big asses as orks. Miascugh is one of the best pixellers I've ever seen and somehow I'm sure he'll outdo the pep collaboration in the future, but glad to see him there as well.

My ordering might have been different, but it's still a good lineup. I'd naturally add more c64 stuff, but there we go with explaining why the rule to people who like chibi anime and whatnot... definately Lackey's Fuck the Temple, They Plot by Ptoing, Miascugh's Vagina with Teeth. I guess that stuff went unnoticed for the most part. But why the hell the Spartan? I don't get it. Oh well.

The 300 movie adaptation of the frank miller comic will be as awful as the comic. With my power of greekness I dissassociate him and his terpid fascist fever dreams from anything that has to do with actual Persian War history.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 12:49:38 am
I never understood why about buloght's piece, it never really worked for me. too murky brown for my tastes I guess. There are a few others I would dispute over. I really like toby's piece. could have come better than 18th page. I don't know.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 03:18:26 am
Why doesn't Pixelation do its own top 10 or w/e?
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 07:00:01 am
There's no question that popularity is a big part of ratings. As much as it'd be nice to have detachment and rate on artistic merit people will always bring their emotions into it. 

The 300 movie adaptation of the frank miller comic will be as awful as the comic. With my power of greekness I dissassociate him and his terpid fascist fever dreams from anything that has to do with actual Persian War history.

I haven't read the comic, but damn does that movie trailer look beautiful. From what I can tell it doesn't look like much of an historical reenactment... just a fantasy loosely based on an event -- like King Ralph.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 09:20:10 am
I'd say for any type of best of this year thing, do something completely different from the normal ratings.
The 1st of December, have little buttons on every picture. Let people nominate pictures for the 'best of' voting. Then, after the first 2 weeks of December, take the top 50, or 100, nominated(by nominations, which should remain hidden from others as to stop people from following suit) and put them into a seperate catagory for This Years Nominated Pieces. Then have everyone vote for them there, while keeping their ratings hidden. At the end of the year stop the voting and look at the results.