AuthorTopic: Top Rated Pixel Art of 2006  (Read 7559 times)

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Top Rated Pixel Art of 2006

on: January 03, 2007, 04:53:26 am
The title says it all... Pixel Joint's top rated pixel art pieces submitted in 2006.

Enjoy and congrats to all the magnificent artists!

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Top Rated Pixel Art of 2006

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:19:13 am
Hellz yeah, I'm on there twice! In my opinion, I would have left Big Brothers orcs in #1, Buloght in #2, and a 3-way tie for Helm's Spartan, Cure's Vikings, and Miascugh's tribal monkey blergj stonerjerb...whatever, they just should be higher up...At the current level of competition, I'm pretty sure I'll fade into obscurity with time...but with a smile on my face...
my back hurts...

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:22:03 am
Order makes no sense whatsoever. I see lots of stuff on pages teen-to-twenty-something that blows away all the page one stuff combined. Meh.

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 07:42:09 am
Order makes no sense whatsoever. I see lots of stuff on pages teen-to-twenty-something that blows away all the page one stuff combined. Meh.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose... I think page #1 is pretty damn stacked as The B.O.O.B. (ooh burn) mentioned above... big brother, buloght, Helm, miascugh/Peppermint Pig and all the other fine pixel artists that were so callously left out like Tremulant (who had tons of top picks this year), Fool, jalonso, Ahruon, Orkimides, Adarias, Monsoon2D (love the palette), happip and my new favorite pixeller Snake (that new Katamari secret santa pic is delicious).  And that's just the artist lineup on page #1.  So much fun wading through this stuff.

Oh, and let's not forget Ze BOBber's contributions... he took it to the hoop in 2006.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 11:16:33 pm
I do think the voting system is flawed, in the same way pop influences music, people tend to vote because it looks cute, or because someone else voted (just following the general opinion). There are much better pieces that should be in the top 10. Its wonderful seeing the best of 2006 tho. congrats all, and BOB you should be up in the top 5.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline lonlaz

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:24:26 am
I haven't been around this forum for very long so I haven't been able to see a lot of that art.  I have to say, Helm's spartan is stunning,  the colors are amazing.  Gets me pumped to see that movie adaption of 300.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 02:00:11 am
I actually think the system is set up just fine. The way the pieces are generated by rank, is by becoming a member and rating just how well the piece looks to YOU. Again, there are a lot of lurkers, so they rank accordingly to what they like, and may differ in artistic tastes.(mostly people that enjoy fan art) That's NOT saying their tastes are worse than people who do submit things. Also, you have to consider that just because their are a ton of favorites on a piece, that it will automatically receive top honors. Again, the ratings factor definitely comes into play.
   Not to mention, the reason why some are higher in the ranking than others, is the time they've been in the gallery. Of course the quicker or earlier you submit something in the year, the more ratings/favorites it will most likely accumulate on average, rather than submitting a stunning piece later in the year. You could say there is a flaw, but most is associated by taste, not by system...in my opinion, of course.

@Sedge-spank-my-monkey: The correct spelling is B.O.B. I'm taking your golden star sticker from beside your name, on the chalk board, so you'll learn your lesson...you dirty animal...

@pkmays: could you be more specific? Not to be nosey, but which pieces did you think deserved higher ranking?(not to call out names or anything)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:52:21 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:42:08 am
   Not to mention, the reason why some are higher in the ranking than others, is the time they've been in the gallery. Of course the quicker or earlier you submit something in the year, the more ratings/favorites it will most likely accumulate on average, rather than submitting a stunning piece later in the year. You could say there is a flaw, but most is associated by taste, not by system...in my opinion, of course.

This is indeed an issue for yearly awards, but I didn't want to wait six months to post an item.  That's why we wait until the 15th of the month to post top monthly honors so everyone gets at least 15 days.  Maybe when May rolls around I'll post the link again so all the 2006 pieces get a fair shake.

I agree with what The B.O.B. says:  Ratings are not perfect by any means and everyone certainly has their own reasons for plunking down points. Honestly though, what's the alternative? 

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 06:25:32 am
I'm just a bitter artist, and seeing lots of high ranking tiny chibi anime sprites only makes it worse. I've even got a piece of trash anime piece on there I made well over 2 years ago. As I said, meh.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 06:39:23 am
There are four or five in the top 25 that I don't think deserve to be there, but for the most part I think it's a solid list. I would've put some of Ahruon's animations in the top spots, as well, if only because small, well-animated sprites are what interest me the most right now. I feel like making more with less is a huge part of pixel art - and whether that means vibrant animation in a tiny sprite, or an extremely limited palette (Helm's spartan is incredible), that's what would get my vote.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne