AuthorTopic: Basic Critique - complete n00b  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Hillsy7

• View Profile

Basic Critique - complete n00b

on: November 18, 2018, 06:39:58 pm
Hi there,

So I'm a terrible artist, and this is basically my first attempt at pixel art/basic animation - I'm building a simple game and I want to have some serviceable graphics to work with. My problem is not knowing art theory, or having any skill, I'm having great difficulty identifying what mistakes I'm making and therefore what to focus on learning. I mean it could be that my proportions are off, the colour palette is waft, the pose/biomechanics are wrong, or that I should be using different sprite sizes for the amount of detail I'm including. That sort of thing.

I'd really appreciate it if you could have a quick look and tell we what basic errors I've made so I know what to go study to fix it.

I don't need anything too detailed, just a couple of answers to the question "why does this look so bad"

Thanks again

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Basic Critique - complete n00b

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 09:42:09 am
Right off you need more contrast between your colors.

Check also the lighting, it's flat and sticks to the edges. Old comparison here. This also creates banding. Another comparison (Cure's the man)

You could push the pose there too.

EDIT:

It's a start, it sort of reads.

Yes, keep working on your fundamentals, but also:
Fundamentals might get you 90% of the way there, but there are a few things ofc that don't translate directly INTO pixel art. You just grind away at the medium you want to master and that's how you make your best work in it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 10:30:53 am by pistachio »

Offline Hillsy7

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:06:42 am
Dang man that's impressive! I'm going to have to pick through what you've done and try and take it on board.

Thanks so much!

Offline Hillsy7

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 12:13:50 pm
Right off you need more contrast between your colors.

Check also the lighting, it's flat and sticks to the edges. Old comparison here. This also creates banding. Another comparison (Cure's the man)

You could push the pose there too.

Quick question - How long did that take you to do, roughly, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 02:41:38 am
Quick question - How long did that take you to do, roughly, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry for delay. Yeah, that one took about 45 minutes, started from scratch.
Comes down to experience so you find the tools/methods (workflow) that you need.
It's actually still rough but for an NPC sprite or something it works in context.