AuthorTopic: Padded Cell: Looking for Feedback  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Padded Cell: Looking for Feedback

on: November 15, 2018, 10:38:31 pm
Could I have some feedback on this padded cell? It's an important room in my game and I<d like it to look great:

Thank you! Feel free to nitpick everything.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Padded Cell: Looking for Feedback

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 11:36:58 pm
The padding feels more like porcelain tile because it's so smooth and perfect. How is it attached? Is it upholstery-style (fabric with padding underneath, attached to the wall at regular intervals), or is each segment a separate padded "tile"?

The side and south walls are perfectly smooth, give them a silhouette that shows they're also padded :D

I think the door would feel more believable with a frame around it, and the padding would probably change to accommodate it.

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 03:38:29 am
What eishiya said, you need to make the tiles "puff-out", try to remove the corner rounding on the bottom of the tiles, and aggressively increase the rounding on the top of each tile, so their are more like pillows nailed to the ground on the bottom edges.

The bottom shading of each tile should probably be as rounded as the rounding on the top of the tiles, and the contrast should be lower to imply a less plastic/ceramic material.

Textile materials have a lot of subsurface scattering, like skin, that greatly reduces shading contrast.

Also, If the splotches are stains rather than folds and depressions, then are likely to be from organic stuff (blood, piss, healthcare daily life), so they might get some warmer colors, contrasting with the more pure grey of the actual shades which are not stains.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 03:47:47 am by Vinik »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 01:18:31 pm
Thanks for the replies guys.

Textile materials have a lot of subsurface scattering, like skin, that greatly reduces shading contrast.
Could you elaborate on this a bit with maybe an example?

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 05:40:55 pm
Subsurface scattering is a property of some partially translucent materials (which don't have to look like they are transparent in most cases) where light hitting bright surfaces "bleed into" the more shaded surfaces of the same material. Light litteraly travels below the surface contouring the object. When you would have a sharp terminator between shaded and bright areas, instead you end up with more gradient trasitions and a reduced shaded area/enlarged bright area. In pixel art we usually don't the like too much gradients, so we cartoon it out by just having less contrast on the shading (and less shading altogether) than we would have on a plastic object by comparison, and much much less than on a metalic one.

In 3d if you want to model a material to look like skin or smooth leather you usually pump up the subsurface scattering.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsurface_scattering
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 07:58:57 pm by Vinik »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 11:30:38 pm
Better?

If not, I'd be interested in some edits or some pixel art examples from another artist.

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 01:17:57 am
Still looks like hard tiles because of the dark, straight gaps between them.

Here's an edit with a couple of different ways to do the floor:

The key thing is that there are the darkest spots where the padding is attached to the wall, and less shading elsewhere, since the padding puffs out.

I didn't edit the wall, but it's the same principle.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 01:45:29 am
I'm trying to see your edit but for some reason the pixels are blurry on pixelation with Chrome. This applies to any screenshots for some reason.

When I copy/paste the link elsewhere, the floor still looks really blurry. Maybe it's on my end however but I'd like to see what you're pointing out. I think you mainly mean that the ''corner'' gaps are the darker areas.

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 02:07:12 am
It's your browser. Try opening the image in the PJ Image Specs tool, perhaps? I think that does its own scaling, independent of the browser.

Yeah, the corners are the darkest, since they're where the padding is thinnest, that's where it's attached to the wall. Elsewhere, it puffs out, these puffed out bits get the light and block it from reaching the attachment points. The shape of the puffy part, therefore, is a square with rounded corners rather than the hard square you've been drawing. Think less "tiles", more upholstery.