AuthorTopic: Walk cycle arms cleanup  (Read 2335 times)

Offline jjdev

• jackx5
    • View Profile

Walk cycle arms cleanup

on: November 22, 2018, 05:58:28 pm
I just animated this and the arms do not look quite pleasing to me. Any edits?

Offline Ackernym

• View Profile

Re: Walk cycle arms cleanup

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 06:59:49 pm
Well for starters the movement of the arms in time with the legs isn't how a person actually walks. The way you have it now is that both the right leg and right arm move forward at the same time whereas a natural walk cycle should have the left arm move forward when the right leg moves forward and vice versa for the left leg. Also the top half of the body is rather static. I made a quick edit to that by bobbing the head up and down on the 3rd and 7th frames because that is the point in a walk cycle where the body should be the lowest, as the foot is stepping down.

Offline jjdev

• jackx5
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 09:45:24 pm
Well for starters the movement of the arms in time with the legs isn't how a person actually walks. The way you have it now is that both the right leg and right arm move forward at the same time whereas a natural walk cycle should have the left arm move forward when the right leg moves forward and vice versa for the left leg.

Thanks! I did not even notice that myself.

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:47:28 pm
I agree with what was written, but I think the paintover can demonstrate it better. It's not enough that the head bobs, the whole body bobs. I've exaggerated everything to make the point more clear, although leg keyframes would have to be redone to incorporate this.

The arm movement itself I think it's actually quite fine, smooth, with a nice swing to it. The problem is much more in the legs. Your frame 1 and 5 were the same and the rest of keyframes are not combined correctly. When legs are in the inverted V shape they should be mostly straight and as far apart as possible. After that the feet should come closer. In your case the leg farthest back is not when it's on the ground, but one frame after when it's already up in the air. I can only see that happening while running since you have some time when you're completely in the air. Just look up some walking references to study keyframes more closely.

EDIT: I offset leg positions by one frame so the arm extremes match leg extremes more closely, but really what it needs is complete reworking of the legs to match up with the pacing of the arms. If they are lively like that, the legs need to pick up some of that pace as well.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:44:04 am by Retronator »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 01:08:51 am
the arms and legs spend different lengths of time forward duringthe stride, giving the appearance of a limp
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline jjdev

• jackx5
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 06:16:01 am
the arms and legs spend different lengths of time forward duringthe stride, giving the appearance of a limp
Can you highlight that please?