AuthorTopic: The B.O.B.'s Dump: B.O.B. finally submits something new...  (Read 66007 times)

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump: Mystery of the name, Solved-Ed!!!

Reply #110 on: September 17, 2007, 04:16:35 pm
   Finally finished this for the Pixeljoint competition(create your personal acronym for The B.o.b.'s name...). Rushed the poop out of it, so it may still need some work. I never really try to work with backgrounds, and warm colors/scenery, so this really was a tough one to accomplish. Not sure how many colors there are, but I'm pretty sure it's less than 64 or 32... Any who, I'm always willing to make it better. Any critiques ladies and gents?

I really want you to finish this, it looks awesome as is, but knowing how much detail you can put into something I think you should finish it. Either way, I think the BG definitely needs more detailing, the clouds are a bit rough and are making the scene seem a little flat. Also work on the thing the behemoth is pulling. Maybe some more chains, jewelery and a action posed facial expression ( IE: mouth open, saliva flying out, mad eyes, etc.. ) on the behemoth to give him some character other than being a big monster.

Great work, i love it :)
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #111 on: September 17, 2007, 05:02:12 pm
I love the design of the beast and all the detail you've put into it. The shading could use a bit of work, however. It looks as if you have another sun illuminating the beast. It should be in shadow for the most part. I also toned down the sand a bit.

Quick and messy edit follows.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #112 on: September 17, 2007, 05:14:39 pm
Yeah, that fixes the problem i had with the original. It literally screwed up my eyes. Very hard to look at. There's so many points of interest fighting with each other. The sun drawing my eyes in the most. Now i guess the monster's face needs to get the attention, so somehow bring forward the face while pushing back the sun with keeping arachne's lighting conditions. Give hime slightly glowing eyes or something. Otherwise awesome job.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #113 on: September 17, 2007, 07:19:35 pm
i think that if you take arachne's edit, and increse the saturation on the beast, the lava-looking rock to the right side of it, and the face of the temple that is facing us,  it will look beter.
untz untz untz?

Offline WhiteNoise

• View Profile

Reply #114 on: September 17, 2007, 08:35:51 pm
What about just putting something dark next to the beast, and leave all the other pixels like they are?

3 second edit (B.ush-O.posite-B.east, if you will):

Agreed, the rest is still fighting, but i don't see any real reason to change more than you have to
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:52:46 pm by WhiteNoise »

Offline JaViS

• View Profile
    • Pixelatom

Reply #115 on: September 17, 2007, 08:58:26 pm
Actually do you have a programmer?
I'm a videogame programmer and I can help you with that task :P

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #116 on: September 17, 2007, 11:01:04 pm
@JaVIS: Which task is that?  ???

I love the design of the beast and all the detail you've put into it. The shading could use a bit of work, however. It looks as if you have another sun illuminating the beast. It should be in shadow for the most part. I also toned down the sand a bit.

Quick and messy edit follows.

Decided to take some advice from you guys. Like I mentioned previously, I'm well aware of the unknown light source in front of the beast, but I did it mainly so it could showcase it's colorful frill, and the fact that well...the piece is focused primarily upon it! But I'm hardly ever right with you guys so I did what was right, and decided to do as you say:

I gotta admit, I'm not sure if you added any extra colors to it, but I know there are some colors that are too close to each other in value. I just decided to skip over that little fact, as it turns out, you guys may have been right after all. The yellow was causing readability issues with the affected spots on the beast/behemoth, and sand.(also, the top of it's frill is very thin. the little lines of red/orange are actually veins, kind of like when you put a light against the side of someone's ear.) Again, this was a quick work over, but to me, I seriously wanna' call it quits...Thanks again everybody!!

(F*ck! I forgot about adding the extra pulling device to make it look more like a beast that is really pulling a large caravan realistically.)
my back hurts...

Offline JaViS

• View Profile
    • Pixelatom

Reply #117 on: September 18, 2007, 08:09:41 pm
@JaVIS: Which task is that?  ???

The videogame programming! :D

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #118 on: October 25, 2007, 11:46:44 am
   So I've been looking back at my previous gallery, and noticed some of my old works. I can't believe how far I've come, and improved! I've noticed that I've been cutting down on nasty cel-out techniques, lowering and managing color count much better, as well as getting form much more precise. Not to say I've reached the pinnacle, cause there is still much to be learned. Any hoo, I was rummaging through, and noticed one of my pieces: "Joker's wild". Once I saw it, all I thought to myself was "Blegh! I can't believe people were fav'ing this piece of garbage." So I owe it to myself, and those who liked it to make it better.

Right now it's a rough wip, but I wanted to address the obvious flaws. Still a little stylistic choices going on, but I wanted it to be a little more anatomically correct, while keeping with the black shadow/comic style. I'm still working on it as we speak, but what I would like to know, is what else is needed to make this fella' better. The card needs work, definitely, that I know. Maybe even the fingers as well. The face seems fine to me so far, but maybe you guys see it differently, and can help me make it better.

I would really like your input. Any suggestions/edits are extremely welcome!
my back hurts...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #119 on: October 25, 2007, 12:54:18 pm
Well, one thing that stands out with the fingers are that they're in an impossible position. I don't know about the 'proper' way to hold a card like that(though I do quite a bit of card throwing myself), but I believe he should be holding the card between his upright index and middle finger; his middle finger shouldn't be bent. But if you keep his hand posture, the middle finger is extraordinarily long. Draw what you'd consider his finger behind the card and you'll see what I mean. His index finger is also bent in an impossible way(at least without pulling it back).
Aside from the hand, his teeth look way more 'squared off' when they come to the front. It looks more like his front teeth are flat, and that they just take a sudden corner and go back.