AuthorTopic: The B.O.B.'s Dump: B.O.B. finally submits something new...  (Read 65945 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump:Sho-Nuff!!

Reply #100 on: July 04, 2007, 07:24:38 pm
It looks really nice of first sight, I think you could let some more light from the lamp shine on the big skeleton demon guy.
Also, why INRI. How does that connect to the piece?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #101 on: July 05, 2007, 01:08:39 am
Yar, after finishing it, I too noticed the perspective was "fukked". As aforementioned, I know of my bad habit of tending to make my pieces to "busy" to read. I'm still trying to learn how to break it, though. There are monsters detailed behind them, but this could only be seen by the animated wip I have. When I get the oppurtunity, I'll try and upload it for now...but again, any improvement upon the piece will be EXTREMELY delayed...

@Ptoing: I was wondering if there wasn't enough shine on the main Shadow leader, coming from the lantern. And yes, "INRI" does having something to do with the piece. It's a long story, actually(just look back at my fighting characters, and guess who the guy with the lantern is...). The man with the lantern was given the job of "carpenter" of the "gray" lands, by another carpenter, but NOT by choice. The previous had died in his arms, but not before giving him some detailed tips of the landscape. Any who, the older(deceased) carpenter was a deeply religious man who had repented his earlier sins for a life of good. His role-model, if you haven't guessed from the hints, already, was Jesus. The older carpenter always kept a bible close to his heart, and so when he died, the younger carpenter felt that he should go under the title of his role model, "INRI", which ROUGHLY translates as "Jesus, king of the jews..." In other words, the younger carpenter felt that if there was any uncertainty among the higher living as to where this old man should go, he would let them know by giving him a literal ticket into heaven..(like I mentioned before, the characters that I drew each have a story line, but this specific character has the lengthiest, regarding the subject of "leadership.." and what not....)

but yeah, that's the connection...

thanks for the comments...
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #102 on: July 05, 2007, 01:51:03 am
It's busy yes, and everything is equal priority. I took the trees on the right more up to even the horizon a bit, that was one of the three edit points. The second is I removed some of the cloudage to clear out a few spaces for the eye to rest on. finally I did some rough fading out of the enemies as they go further down and smaller. The farther away, the less detail and glitter would be a good idea. Personally I'd go with a smaller moon, black night sky to just create depth better, but that's up to you.

I find a 'king of the jews' reference in what apperas to be a a fantasy setting with monsters and all to be a bit strange, personally.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 01:52:48 am by Helm »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #103 on: July 05, 2007, 01:58:33 am
I dunno about the edit on the trees as that kinda makes the whole thing a bit stanger, more nightmarish.

To come back to the INRI thing, I know what it means, but noone would ever get your complicated story from looking at that picture. It just looks like a grave with jesus??? in it, in a landscape with a windmill and a castle??? how does that connect? Not speaking about the monsters and the dude. It's just all very very strange for a standalone picture. If it would be an illustration for a comic that would back all this up then I could get it but would still find it a tad odd. Like this tho it is just odd.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #104 on: July 05, 2007, 02:39:40 am
@ptoing: sorry man, there is supposed to be a long quote from the story of the characters I'm making. So in a sense, it is supposed to be an illustration. Yet I agree, one would definitely not get whats going on, unless I told them exactly. But yes, the castles and windmill's place of compisition were thought out, along with where the foreground characters were placed. This I most definitely meant ( It's in the characters dream world, if that helps any). It's a VERY drawn out story...I don't want to waste most of your time, though...thanks for the input...

p.s.: Heh, Helm, no, I'm not saying anything bad about the Jewish people, or any parallels of them being monsters either, in this piece. Hopefully nobody sees it that way...Great edit by the way, I'll try to spruce it up when I get home...
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #105 on: July 05, 2007, 04:21:35 am
I never uh, read anything like that into it. I mean, jesus in fantasy setting is just odd because there's monsters about and also I guess magic and evil wizards and and and. Just doesn't mix in my brain at all.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump: Mystery of the name, Solved-Ed!!!

Reply #106 on: September 17, 2007, 01:22:09 am
   Finally finished this for the Pixeljoint competition(create your personal acronym for The B.o.b.'s name...). Rushed the poop out of it, so it may still need some work. I never really try to work with backgrounds, and warm colors/scenery, so this really was a tough one to accomplish. Not sure how many colors there are, but I'm pretty sure it's less than 64 or 32... Any who, I'm always willing to make it better. Any critiques ladies and gents?

my back hurts...

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #107 on: September 17, 2007, 10:46:19 am
the flames on the creatures left make it hard to read the facial details.  you should try to improve the saturation and luminance when picking colors as well.  particularly in the face, the different colors make it hard to read detail.
untz untz untz?

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #108 on: September 17, 2007, 01:19:35 pm
   Actually, there absolutely no flames in this piece at all. It's just early sunrise, therefore everything looks orange-red. To it's right(our left) is just sand, which looks fire-ish, but is just picking color from the sun and setting, and the object to it's left(our right) is a boulder, that is receiving light from between the shadow of the beast, and the caravan. I was initially going to make the monster a little gray, and darkened as he is facing away from the light source, but that would detract from him being the main focus of the piece, so in a sense, that flaw(unknown light source) is already known. By the by, understandably a known flaw of mine is readability, so let me explain the piece if any one still can't see what's going on: The Behemoth/beast is just pulling the caravan to some destination on a cliff, that is overseeing a village down below it. I tried my hand at perspective, and scenery, by adding less detail as it went further off, as well as a large lake and distant mountains. (p.s., I know there is no strong or tight rope that shows the beast is really pulling the caravan, other than the loose roop attached to it's mouth, and chest piece. Workin' on fixing that...)
my back hurts...

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #109 on: September 17, 2007, 01:31:37 pm
Red sunrises aren't uncommon, but I'd replace the red with some shades of greyish pink and blue - not only will it look more "sunrise-ish" but it will make the whole thing a little less saturated/more readable and remove the illusion of fire.
I mild from suffer dislexia.