AuthorTopic: The B.O.B.'s Dump: B.O.B. finally submits something new...  (Read 65965 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump: Amazing skies update

Reply #70 on: April 01, 2007, 08:42:58 pm
   Due to the limited amount of submissions of the amazing skies activity/competition, I decided to whip something up as quickly as I can, to add to the madness. I naturally suck at background, and atmosphere, so don't expect much. I wanted to set it in an alien-like setting, with green fumes, that surround the the blue atmosphere. Sometimes, heat beneath the surface reaches the fumes in the air, and they light up the sky with fire like ferocity (I'm a dork...). I'm still not totally satisfied with it. The moon (is supposed to be fairly large, in comparison to the planet) still seems too detailed, when it should be further away. I don't quite know how to make it seem more distant, yet still recognizable as a moon, in itself, without blending in with the white clouds...Suggestions?

my back hurts...

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump...sorta

Reply #71 on: April 01, 2007, 09:14:51 pm
That looks excellent. The reason it looks so near is because you've beveled the edge of the craters which is something you'd only ever see if you were either right next to it or if it had big boomy craters. It also looks like those white clouds are behind it and are being illuminated that way; I'd make the clouds in front of the moon partially silhouetted with lit edges.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: April 02, 2007, 12:25:12 am
 I decided to take your advice Lawrence. I TRIED to make the clouds appear over the moon, and took some of the stronger blues off the moon to suggest more distance. I guess I'm done?

my back hurts...

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump:now with amazing sky!

Reply #73 on: April 02, 2007, 01:57:20 am
Very pretty, this would be a strong entry for the contest. Interesting dithering on the top right, though to me it doesn't fit on an atmosphere context, would look better on a surface (glass, by example). Lower right seems a bit empty.

How do you choose and mix your colors? You're not using Paint still, are you? (i think i recall you mentioning it once) Would be very interested in knowing, thanks.

Also, the bug is awesome :) Push through the boredom and finish it (add detail to the shadowed neck, lower "belly", hind legs; clean up the lines, maybe some selective AA), it's quite worth the final effort.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: April 02, 2007, 02:54:56 am
Very pretty, this would be a strong entry for the contest. Interesting dithering on the top right, though to me it doesn't fit on an atmosphere context, would look better on a surface (glass, by example). Lower right seems a bit empty.

How do you choose and mix your colors? You're not using Paint still, are you? (i think i recall you mentioning it once) Would be very interested in knowing, thanks.

Hah, unfortunately, I am still using MSPaint (lay off everybody, I know it's the PREMIER of despised pixel programs... :P ). And some sharp eyes also; I started off at the top left of the piece and worked my way down, towards the bottom right. I actually did get lazy towards the end, and ended up using other dithering patterns that weren't concurrent with the original, dither patterns.  So, yeah....

Also, the bug is awesome :) Push through the boredom and finish it (add detail to the shadowed neck, lower "belly", hind legs; clean up the lines, maybe some selective AA), it's quite worth the final effort.

I want to call the bug finished. However, I too, noticed that it retains my unfortunate trait of unfinished pieces. I don't really know how to fix it though. Thanks for the response, though!
my back hurts...

Offline Aeon Vision

• Shake of the dust...Arise!
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:07 pm
Elena's probably the best example out of all of them - the sort of space that's used in her animation would look really beautiful on a number of your sprites, especially the capoeira fighters or drunky:
That's not totally true, the artwork is great, and so is the animation.
But, it isn't capoeira, with capoeira you do the same motion, but you move your feet more backwards, even behind your other foot.
:)

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Reply #76 on: April 16, 2007, 12:09:05 am
Love your style. I bet your really goos at animation, I remember your origami fighter. I wish i could learn.  :yell: :( :'(
Who's is a cheap, reliable Artist? Me!
http://tayokoart.com

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #77 on: April 16, 2007, 02:19:13 pm
I decided to take your advice Lawrence. I TRIED to make the clouds appear over the moon, and took some of the stronger blues off the moon to suggest more distance. I guess I'm done?

Hmm, what I don't like about this bg is that all the pixeling is lovely, but it doesn't really read well as to what the shapes actually are.  I think there's too much blue to show that the planet is surrounded by these green fumes.

As for the moon, I think you can either have it detailed, or covered in clouds, not both at the same time.  Think of the moon going behind thin clouds: you can still see a white circle, but you can't see anything on the surface.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump:Oh snaps, it's mini-snake!

Reply #78 on: April 26, 2007, 01:30:56 pm
Holy, moleman! Bob's doing fan art again?

***Edit/update***

(forgot to give him his patch. Also, took the shine off his back pack, and changed the frantic head bobbing motion of the frontal view)

I felt that I hadn't animated things in a while, so I decided to try at it again. After looking at my past animations, I felt my technique was too arduous, and I tend to wear away from key frames, rather than focus them. What better practice, than to create some 4 frame, 4 directional walk cycles. Yes it's the almighty mullet, Snake, from Metal Gear Solid. The funny thing is, I've never played Metal Gear Solid before. However, after whipping up my Dreamcast, popping in my nes bootleg cd, and looking through some old NES games, I saw MGS in there, and decided "what if I could make a wee 8-bit mock up, like this?..." Of course, this IS NOT using NES restrictions, or set color palettes. Consider this more of a cell phone mock up. I may decide, however, to make a mock up background. May be hard, though, as I've never played one game of the series, yet.(question: is it still considered fan art, if you've never played the game in real life? a little brain teaser for you to think about...)
   So...you know. Critique the living poop out of it. Or watch it...maybe hate it even. Who knows, I may decide to change it!

Still to come:

*will probably fix the strange, frantic, head bobbing of the frontal view.***(Fixed, I think...)
*will probably make crawl
*will probably make shooting anim., however I know that he uses different guns, so more fun for me...damn
*maybe mock up background. will help me with my tiling problem. Also need to research the game more, and look up some baddies.
*also may make little comic, cut scenes during in-game battle...
*I know I'm taking this way too seriously, for something that ISN'T going to be a game...but I'm bored

off-topic-sorta:
*working on a big piece again, that has nothing to do with this mock up. But I'm going this one alone. Trying to make it on my own steam...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 04:01:35 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump:Oh snaps, it's mini-snake!

Reply #79 on: April 26, 2007, 07:00:58 pm
hehe, MGS on the NES is just MG ;)

its a good start, you may be a bit too reliant out black outlines for a piece this small though.  I think 6 frames would look way better than 4.  And currently the top/down views look like a completely different character than the side views.