AuthorTopic: The B.O.B.'s Dump: B.O.B. finally submits something new...  (Read 65963 times)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump...sorta

Reply #60 on: March 01, 2007, 09:20:33 pm
That looks much smoother now.  Great fix.

Offline Tsugumo

• View Profile
    • Bulletproof Outlaws

Reply #61 on: March 02, 2007, 03:21:40 am
Love this thread...that first sheet of characters rocks.  I dig the colors and designs and everything...I'd shit myself if I had to animate them, but they're sweet to look at.  :)

Also the tentacle guy is stylin'...I've always wanted to do a tentacle character animation just for practice but haven't gotten around to it yet.

- Tsugumo

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #62 on: March 25, 2007, 09:56:04 am
Arise semi-dead topic, ARISE!!!

I have another crapper for ya' folks! Seeing as how I can't upload my photoshop piece (cause photoshop and I are currently on the rocks, and thinking about divorce...thank goodness for the pre-nups) I've decided to pixel something...out of my comfort zone. It's a fictional bug. I just wanted an excuse to get out of the whole human anatomy thing, and go left field with it. I've also decided to scrap the technical side of things, and pay homage to my messy style of pixeling from when I first submitted things, as well as trying to do something big again. I'm not much of a Sci-fi fellow, nor do I know much about bugs. So any bug fanatics, or experts in the field would be best to help me with the realistic functions of this beetle, design wise. As in: do the body parts, and body/thorax structure make sense in an everyday bugs life.

As far as design wise, the bug's horn atop its head serves as dominance and battling functions against other males. The two large hooks on each side of it's head also are a big part of the bugs main functions, as it's slightly big, and needs them to turn over males during competition, as well as digging underground. The hump above it's head, serves as a nasal passage for the beetle, and also as a snorkel when swimming. Unlike most beetles, this certain species has a beak like mouth, making it an omnivore; however it mostly feasts on berries. However, they have been recorded to have eaten other bugs, and small fish during times of famine.
   At this point in time, I'm more concerned with it's body structure. Does it serve a possible means of moving around for a large bug/beetle as this? Do the position of the legs make sense, as well as joint placement? more perhaps? Does the shell look like a real-life shell of present insect life? I've separated the head and body so you can see them clearly.

Any crits, ass-pats, or face slaps perhaps?
my back hurts...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #63 on: March 25, 2007, 08:00:17 pm
Looking awesome, The. Wikipedia's always good for refs. So, I'd say that, on yer beetle's legs, you need to make the bottomest foot part longer, maybe. And the first body segment - the thorax - should be shorter and the abdomen longer. I think bugs' legs don't actually come out of their sides, but rather from a "chassis" beneath the thorax, upon which the rest of the insect sits. The thorax looks like it's being overlapped by the abdomen which is a very, very strange (impossible) thing.
The head is lookin' mighty vicious. Nice, man.

....Wait, how big is this thing? It eats small fish?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 08:14:13 pm by Xion »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: March 25, 2007, 08:10:11 pm
This is coming pretty neat.
I must say I prefer the face on ver 1 though.
The only thing that bugs me (no pun intended), are the rounder parts on the face especially the big horn. It kinda ruins it for me
If instead it looked more rough and angled (like the two lower horns) I think it would turn awesome.
Anyway, looking forward to see more progress on this.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #65 on: March 25, 2007, 08:16:08 pm
Beautifull head=). I mean - yak, wich would be a complimenteary from arachnophobic=).
Body seems a bit large for the head, but i might be wrong - not quite an expert.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #66 on: March 25, 2007, 10:16:24 pm
   Damn...I checked this thread and saw it further being pushed down each time I came back. So I comfortable thought to myself, "well, since no one's saying anything, I might as well finish it." I just checked it, and saw 3 constructive comments. I salvaged what I could, but most of it was already too detailed to change by the time I read them.

@Panda: I actually wanted the big horn on the top of the head to be smooth like that, to camouflage as smooth twigs when hiding in yellow/golden forage. But I guess the machete type horn can be fitting as well.

@Xion: I also noticed that it's underbelly/thorax wasn't even present. I decided to add it (or at least try to). The fore legs are meant for digging, which explains the difference in thickness and design. They help the "tusks" on it's jaw when digging and fighting as well( The tusks are actually able to move from side to side, though not by much. This allows the beetle to unhinge or open up for food intake). The beetle is not meant for flight however. It has a hard exoskeleton, and flexibility is not one of it's fortes. However, the segments on it's upper portion of the exoskeleton, allow movement and maneuvering when stuck in uncompromising situations. Though ferocious insects, they are still extremely clumsy due to their large frame....

Despite slaving over this damn thing, and being about ready to quit it, I'm still open to some suggestions if they contradict some of the functions I explained above. So contribute, watch, or hate...I don't mind at all...(I'm quite open to rough edits as well  ;D)
my back hurts...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #67 on: March 25, 2007, 10:24:50 pm
There's all this detail and then behind the head it just gets...
Bland.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #68 on: March 26, 2007, 03:28:53 am
Don't detail that green behind the head.  I like the contrast of the detailed-undetailed sections.

I foresee 60 hundred favorites on PJ

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: March 26, 2007, 04:11:23 am
The horn looks completely out of perspective to me.  Shouldn't we be able to see the front of it?  Overall it looks really awsome, love the shading.