AuthorTopic: The B.O.B.'s Dump: B.O.B. finally submits something new...  (Read 65958 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump...sorta

Reply #40 on: January 19, 2007, 04:56:22 pm
Yay! Re-awakening dead threads!(equips anti-Panda ban shield)

Well, this is a dump, so I guess I'll post different stuff on here from now on.
It's supposed to be a cutesy, gothic, worm-squid-mon....actually, I don't know what the hell it is. I just needed some second opinions before coloring it. It looks to me as if it needs more frames to complete the movement/right tilt so it doesn't look drunk. However, I don't wanna have to freakin' animate each individual tentacle again. Twas painful, it was...Any ideas how I could go about this before finishing?(calls upon the masters of animation)
my back hurts...

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 08:29:19 pm
Awesome.
Because he's squelching/tilting to one side, id have him also squelch/tilt to the other. Personally i'd ignore the tenticles for now, cus they'd just get the in way for me. (One of them seems to grow, and almost have something invisible underneath it?) Also, perhaps try to curve out the lines along the centre of the body, so it doesnt look so flat. Looks cool though.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 11:15:54 pm
You can just repeat the tentacle animation for the tilt to the other side. I think its looking good except i
dont think the lower belt should move down. Also I think the head should move a few pixels to the left
as it tilts.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #43 on: January 19, 2007, 11:19:10 pm
The head remains flat as it rotates, but I'd expect it to maybe lower a bit on the left to show curvature.
And ditto on the "make it rock right."
Otherwise, looking good...
Almost too good...
:mean:
:hehe:
;)
:y:

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: January 20, 2007, 10:36:21 pm
i like how you try to make everything as animated as possible - that's the way you give animation life. the tentacle movement could be more smooth though. also the belt thing on the bottom tilts the other way.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #45 on: January 21, 2007, 02:32:20 am
that's the way you give animation life.

that's the disney way...to give animation life. anime uses good timing and flashy movements. disney is barroque while anime is minimalistic.

but yeah, that guy is looking pretty cool...I can imagine his slipery shiny purple skin inside a goth-ish gear....its a very clever little design

I think this, SPECIALLY the tentacles would have been much much easier had you just made it in sillouethe and brushed everything in, I think its pointless to put so much work on an outline that is going to get ereased by the coloring anyway.

you do know that his left front tentacle elongates VERY noticeably as it whips around dont you? that also happens with the other tentacle...it isnt as noticeable, but there is something unnatural about the way it uncurls. see in the last curled frame, it is very curled but the first uncurled frame doesnt show that, I think that frame should show a little more tension (by making the tentacle's curves less pronounced) to relfect there was a quick spasm there.

hmmm there's little tricks for loopings like this, when you animate his head tilting to the other side you could have the tentacles drop some...2 pixels to the left of where they do now, if done cleverly it isnt obvious and really looks as new content.

for the tilting to the other side, you could have him move a little to the left while still twisted as he is in the end of the anim, and get straight still moved to the left, then slide back into the center. it's stupid little tricks like that which help make a loop look more lively

er....his face deforms as he twitches, the left side of his face elongates.

whats with the hair hanging of the right side of his face? why does it move up like that when he leans to the right?

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: February 05, 2007, 06:25:55 pm
Aaaannnnddddd, here's some of the pieces that ran through my head during the competition. Some were ok, others were plain shit. And some...just odd:

In my opinion the Easter bunny was the only thing that stood a chance of making it.

The orange thing sucked balls.

The green angler fish/porcupine was all types of crap.

I kinda liked the horned fellow,(the darkest piece) and the giant, sun-rock gollum, with the
orange/yellowish backdrop attacking Triangle village.

The leech was meh.

Oh, and in case any one is wondering, The monster in the gray, is a Playboy monster. It loves to attack young boys who are coming of age whilst they fap. It's like dangling a worm in front of a giant pirahna...I would have chose it to go through for creativity, but no one would have known what the hell it was,
unless I told them. And that was a must.

The bottom right corner was the last thing I was working on. I have no clue what it was. It was supposed to be blind, with a mutated arm with eyes to see it's prey. It's eyes were replaced with horns. Too messy to be sent in, nothing in it is readable at all. Just a failure, to be blunt.

Whelp, that's all folks. Pixel with ya' later!
my back hurts...

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #47 on: February 05, 2007, 06:40:56 pm
I was really surprsised about the contrast in your piece BOB, the broken outline problem wasnt even in the pixeling, it was in the extremely exagerated lightness jump from the outline to the darkest shade. it seems like it's desperately trying to cover every single spot of the canvas therefore I dont really like the composition. The design is kinda MEH too..reminds me of those cartoons that started showing up imitating TMNT like Motor Mices Bikers from Mars(or whatever) and Street Sharks

Easter bunny defintively looked better than the biped thing with gougy eyes, the porcupine and that weird thing at the right-botton most corner.

I belive every other monster is if not superior atleast equal to the easter bunny, because of the dramatic pose and the hi contrast (I'm a contrast addict) I like the Playboy demon the most. On a second spot are both the green worm, and the golden fog thing, in the third place is that brainiac thing on a blue background, because although the pallete isnt very good I like it's design best from them all.

if I were you, I would have worked on the golden fog thing (which I now realized is actually a scene of a bull creature invading some town) it just needed a little more clarity and dramatic lighting on the bull creature (like what you have on the Playboy demon) and it would have been a really good piece.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: February 05, 2007, 08:11:58 pm
that demon is beyond bad ass.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: February 05, 2007, 09:59:46 pm
BOB, you're definetely going to be a tough competitor if I beat mirre. ;)
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.