AuthorTopic: The B.O.B.'s Dump: B.O.B. finally submits something new...  (Read 65980 times)

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump...sorta

Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 10:15:34 pm
What can I say, these are too awesome...I've been waiting for you to show them since you first mentioned them, in an old topic. I don't think I could have been more amazed ;D

I really liked this character, but I thought he could be a little improved with some more refining and pallete tweaking (the latter did not come out as well as I expected, but still...), so I did an edit...

I think the only thing that's missing is a bit of tweaking here and there, and maybe a few changes to one or two concepts. Give them the chance and they'll be amazing :lol:
Oh, and more ladies.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 12:55:47 am
The second lady is my favorite ;).
Random criticism (Using coordinates):
1:1: The flowy cloth thing coming out of his pocket, the curve on the bottom is kinda weird.
1:2: something with this guy's stomach is really weird, hard to tell.
1:4: This guy's leg muscles are really well defined, being that he's wearing semi-loose pants.
3:1: The... Bulb on the back of this guys leg is just plain weird.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 12:35:28 pm
There's a lot that could be said, but I always have trouble critiquing lots of art at once. B.O.B, do me a favour. Post ONE sprite. One which you think is your strongest. And then prepare for critpain.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 02:16:39 pm
   Ahhh, the infamous Helm post. Always a rarity find praise in your posts my friend, but nothing I can't handle. First, let me tend to past issues, if I may:

pkmays: Alright, I decided to take a look at him, and up the contrast on the guy, as well as outline the hand so it is better visible and distinguishable towards the viewer. Also, I brightened up the red on his clothes to make it stand out more, and gave him a tiny beer pudge on his belly.(the top portion is just the underlined sprites, and the bottom is without) I hope it improved a wee bit.

And now...Helm:

Oy, choosing one sprite that I think is the strongest is extremely hard for me, since; 1) I've worked on all these for a long ass amount of time, and can't tell which I did the best on, and 2) no matter which I think is the best, I'm pretty sure you'll have loads to harp on it about.
   Despite these personal issues, I have a clue as to whom I should bring out. And it's not like I'm coming into battle without armor here, since I'm fully aware of several issues that would be brought up before submitting them, such as anatomy issues(several have longer upper torsos), a definite Contrast issue(actually, this trait is apparent in all my works, and I'm still trying to find out why I'm doing this), terrible female anatomy, busy-ness in small areas that are too hard to define, and others. Not to mention, an expectancy of advice to go back and study anatomy a bit more. But I'm a man of my word, and my word is to get better, none the less. So I choose this warrior to send into the lions den:

So...rip it apart, I'm ready.
my back hurts...

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007, 02:49:53 pm

Just wanted to say that most if not all of Elena's animation is rotoscoped... badly.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 04:06:28 pm
   Well Ptoing, I wouldn't say it was done that badly. I mean, any one who is deep into pixeling can see what is and isn't pixeled by hand. Well, purely speaking for myself, when I first saw her Ginga(what capoeristas refer to as their idle standard movement) I knew that it wasn't pixeled by hand purely,(and loads of random pixels popping out of her outline)due to loss of detail of her digits. She practically has no fingers or toes during her animation, which is a big clue. That, and the fact that her head in the Ginga looks pasted on to her fluid body. Still though, I tend to over-look these small details, when she is such a fun character to play with.

Also, in pixel art, WHEN IS rotoscoping a good thing, considering pixel art is "supposedly" made up of strategically placed pixels? Just wanting to know since you have a more experienced background, and if this is "bad", than maybe you might be able to present some examples of a job better done than presently mentioned to these virgin eyes...
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 04:10:04 pm
Okay. This'll be long.

Colors:

Okay, from the top. You need two distinct ramps if you want to have clothes on your characters. Why is that? It's because if you use flesh shades on clothing, usually it just looks as if the clothing is full of holes and the flesh is showing below.

Secondly, it's not a bad idea to have a fighter wear complementary colors, just makes it more interesting than the single color hue palettes you've got going.

Finally, if you're going to have a bright thing somewhere, why not use the bright shades for highlights on the flesh? This isn't going to be animated anyway (or if it is, there's no point to cut corners, you've got a painful animation to do anyway) so the extra detailing is okay.

Subtle hue shifts are a good idea.

Lighting:

As it was mentioned, lighting a sprite from a side is not a good idea in fighting games, because when they turn around... does the world flip its lightsource too? This is a good reason to keep to vertical lighting and not horisontal ones. You might get away with a few degrees, but I'd watch it. I didn't adress this on the edit as much as I could, but you should keep that in mind anyway.

Contrastwise, the full-camera-flash white on the pants really isn't the best idea in the world, but it can work once in a while. If you find yourself doing it too much, you're basically going to tire eyes out and make more subtle speculars get lost in the whitewash.

There's no segmentation on the human body, no matter how packed you are which I think would deserve a black line. A black single dot here and there is fine, as is a full line and where a limb is over a torso or somesuch. But otherwise I think it's too much. Only when darkness contributes should one be used.

Anatomy and posture:

The was no ear.

Hands needed a lot of work, legs are too fat around the ankles and the feet a bit malformed.

A few invented muscles in the arms, and the connection between chest and shoulderpad a bit vague.

Neck tendons that connect to the head invented.

The back foot was in a bit of an impossible position given the 2d perspective. Even the one pixel difference I've kept seems wrong. I'd suggest losing the flatfootedness as told to by pkmays also, but I've kept it for the purposes of the edit.

People have nipples.

Detail work:

the armors in the hands are a bit too busy still. Simplifying is important for something to read well fast, as it should in such a sprite.

Usually, groups of threes are better than groups of twos, but I decided to simplify more on the various cloth tendrils being hit by what only could be a large fan throwing strong winds at the fighter. Also an issue. When the sprite turns around, does the direction of the wind also?

Remember that in shadow things aren't as detailed.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007, 04:23:06 pm
Good crit there Helm.

About the rotoscoping, I have not seen a good example in pixelart, but it could be done well. The thing here is that rotoscoping is not as easy as it seems, in normal animation as well. So if someone does it who has not much clue of general animation it's highly probable to get the same kinda errors as in lots of Elena's anims. Namely "frying lines" and popping up of detail.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: January 08, 2007, 04:29:40 pm
check out Flashback for rotoscoped-bases that are then tended pixel-by-pixel.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007, 04:45:26 pm
check out Flashback for rotoscoped-bases that are then tended pixel-by-pixel.

*smacks forehead*