AuthorTopic: The B.O.B.'s Dump: B.O.B. finally submits something new...  (Read 65951 times)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Re: The B.O.B.'s Dump...sorta

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 12:04:42 am
I do understand that most these characters are desaturated, to almost being one palette ramp of hue/color.

That really isn't a problem, persay. The problem is, with so many similar colors, you'll have to rely on contrast more since you aren't using such a wide gamut of hues. Many of these loose a lot of clarity from lack of contrast. Hands get lost inside bodies, legs lost behind capes, facial features lost inside heads. I personally love what you've done with the character designs and matching color schemes, but most of the palettes suffer from a lack of contrast.

One general issue I have is with the inconsistent shading and detailing of muscles. For example, 1-5, 2-1, 3-3, and 4-2 have very soft lines and shades to define the muscle, whereas 2-4, 4-1, 5-3 and onward are much sharper. Lots of black lines also give the muscles a harsh segmented insectoid Dragon Ball Z look. No me gusta.

This one has some of the harshest details from the pieces I've seen, which is unfortunate, because it also has some of the strongest line art. The thing that really kills it for me is the amount of dark black lines within the sprite. I like the black around the perimeter of the sprite, and black lines can be an important asset to clarify overlapping limbs with palettes this specialized.

My edit for the most part just lightens up most of the internal black lines, and tweaking the contrast while trying to stay true to the original. Using contrasty shades does just as good a job as black lines do, and it doesn't make the details nearly as busy. The fingers where dissapearing in the pants, so I also upped the contrast for clarity. Also made some drastic changes to the shading of the arm, so it's readable as cybernetics. (Although I did lose the sheen. You could probably do better.)

Also, I HATE flat feet on large fighters. It looks horribly amateurish. A lot of effort goes into making a fighter sprite "pop" and convey volume, and flat feet ruin the whole effect for me. The previously posted Remy sprite is a bad example because he actually has the flattest angle to his stance in 3rd Strike. All the other Street Fighter 3 characters have a much steeper angle on their feet. If flat feet are intentional and you're going for some sort of old school look, keep the angle. Otherwise I'd highly recommend you give a slight slope to everyone's stance.

This piece suffers from the exact opposite of the first: not enough internal detail/contrast where it's needed. For the edit, I attempted to make the skin and shirt clearly distinguishable from the jacket and pants. Jacket sleeves and pants have folds that flow with the limbs. Hair, while probably not correct according to the original design, is readable and doesn't mix in with the red shoulder thing. Buckles and straps pop more, and no more flat foot.

Another inconsistency is lighting. For the most part, it seems to become from the top right, although on several characters it looks like its coming directly from the left. Putting the light source to the side effectively forces one half of the character in light, the other in shade, split down the middle. It also gives a pillow shaded effect in some areas, most noticeable on the torso and legs. The traditional top light source tends to make for a more readable character, IMO. Limbs especially seem more readable when an arm or leg is extended horizontally.

Anyway, despite all the criticism, I actually love the hell out of these. The ninja, especially, tickles my pickle.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:27:00 am by pkmays »

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 12:16:51 am
Third Strike's characters are about half-and-half when it comes to their idle stances having feet that move in z-space, but all of them make use of it in their animations. It seems intentional, though - the stiffer, sturdier characters have flat feet (Shotos, Remy, etc) while the larger gangly characters and the more fluid characters try to break the 2D plane more.

Elena's probably the best example out of all of them - the sort of space that's used in her animation would look really beautiful on a number of your sprites, especially the capoeira fighters or drunky:

que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 02:06:53 am
Dude, very impressive. I love the brownish palettes.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 03:11:18 am

First image, second row, far left reminds me a little of Hugo from SF3. But just barely. He's not blind or fat or clumsy.

@Akzidenz: I missed that. Actually, the Giant Native American Indian/Wrestler(gotta love stereotypes) is blind, which is why his back is an almost facing the right to the opponent...I thought a blind wrestler would be a good spin off from the normal everyday wrestler variations.

@pkmays: Wow, those are great edits. It's funny though, cause you are the billionth person to tell me that I need to up my contrast. I don't really know why it ends up that way. Might be the way my cpu is set up with resolution, or brightness...might just be me. I'll try fixing it up. By the way, I also have noticed that all my characters seemingly have flat feet. I don't like such generic positions like that, but I have much trouble trying to capture the proper perspective of feet facing downward sometimes.

My edit for the most part just lightens up most of the internal black lines, and tweaking the contrast while trying to stay true to the original. Using contrasty shades does just as good a job as black lines do, and it doesn't make the details nearly as busy. The fingers where dissapearing in the pants, so I also upped the contrast for clarity. Also made some drastic changes to the shading of the arm, so it's readable as cybernetics. (Although I did lose the sheen. You could probably do better.)

Actually, pk, they aren't robotic arms. They are, more-over, synthetic plastic arm guards, that help protect his wilted arm, like the material used for Knee braces that linemen wear for football.(although some of it may be made of metal, there is no electricity involved...)That's the main reason that part of the arm is so dark, with a smidge of "sheen". Also, I think I might have confused people with this character. He is not a robot at all. I'm not sure if you accidentally see his face as a metal jaw, or something, but to clarify, his right eye is scarred, and completely black due to mistreatment, and he actually has a goatee....
   But again, thanks for the amazing edits. It was a great way to help me see just how bad the contrast issue was. I'll see if I can update some of the characters when I get some down time...(work sucks balls)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 03:26:10 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 03:22:51 am
@Akzidenz: I missed that. Actually, the Giant Native American Indian/Wrestler(gotta love stereotypes) is blind, which is why his back is an almost facing the right to the opponent...I thought a blind wrestler would be a good spin off from the normal everyday wrestler variations.

Hahaha.. don't sweat it. I didn't figure out that Hugo was blind for close to a year after I started playing. Pretty cool that you had the same thoughts as the creators of SF3, though. :)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 05:13:23 am
And now we have a ladies section, for the gentlemen to play with...

Her character is supposed to be a stripper, in a cow-girl gettup'. I understand about feminism and stuff, but why beat around the bush ya know. Would help lots if you fellas could help me improve on anatomy a bit, seeing as how last time, you really helped me with the other female fighters I posted.

(I'll be awaiting the scoffs, and upturned noses to my stereotypical fan-serviced, half-naked lady banter...)

P.S. Akzidenz, I did not know Hugo was blind. I noticed he was the only character with his eyes closed half the time, and how they were pure white when opened. Never knew the poor, big guy was blind though. Crazy. Him and Urien(everyone's favorite over-tanned, thonged, master of disaster) were always my favorites. Though I'm pretty sure my skillz are pretty rusty at the game now.(I also read in rottentomatoes.com, that capcom was planning to redo another movie variation of Street Fighter, centering the plot line around Chun-li...Hope it doesn't bomb like it's ultimate crap-ass Van-Damme predecessor.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:14:54 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 05:46:21 am
P.S. Akzidenz, I did not know Hugo was blind. I noticed he was the only character with his eyes closed half the time, and how they were pure white when opened. Never knew the poor, big guy was blind though. Crazy. Him and Urien(everyone's favorite over-tanned, thonged, master of disaster) were always my favorites. Though I'm pretty sure my skillz are pretty rusty at the game now.(I also read in rottentomatoes.com, that capcom was planning to redo another movie variation of Street Fighter, centering the plot line around Chun-li...Hope it doesn't bomb like it's ultimate crap-ass Van-Damme predecessor.)

Yeah, someone pointed that out to me once. I don't know if it's official SF canon, but if you look at all of his animations it makes sense. Also, his girlfriend/ho, Poison, is a transsexual (and that actually is canon, believe it or not). Shame you don't live in California, we could've thrown down. :) My main character's been Oro for over a year now, I'm finally getting to the point where I don't get my ass handed to me by the pros 10/10 matches. Urien's crazy fun though, and a bitch to play against.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 05:45:55 pm
superb material here BOB old bean... beautiful rendered...

one thing I would say aside from the outlines (which has been dealt with) - is purely an issue regarding the designs... I think... I really do think... that these would take a fucking age to animate were they to be incorporated fully... why am I saying that? Well... primarily it comes down to amount of peripheral items or elements that each of these fighters have... I know from experience that the more stuff you add... the longer each seuqences takes to create as you have to do additional passes for each element...

Suffise to say I doubt you'll get round to doing a full suite of fighting actions for them?... or will you? (nah... I doubt it ;) ) but if you were... I think you'd have some fun...

Some great stuff here though... one of the things I never got round to doing was a bunch of fighters... good work fella!
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 09:31:17 pm
i think the trousers on the last guy in the first row are the best trousers ive ever seen.
I have to agree; those are very nice trousers. They are very poofy.

The females section isn't quite as appealing in terms of artwork, but that's just me. Very, very good overall.
I.....am......me............

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 09:51:57 pm
I'd just be the last man, or the second woman. Oh, and pwn everyone. MUST... PLAY... GAME... NOW!!!
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!